Wiki Posts
Search

a different vspec issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default a different vspec issue...

so i had about 6 gallons on my vspec and the pin that holds the rod broke on the crank. luckily no other internal damage occured. I ended up finding a new crank from a ninja and throwing that in. got to the track and immediately noticed i had to richen things up quite a bit, the motor was idling at like 230 and ever sinse i have had one heck of a time tuning a decent idle on this thing- i have NEVER had this much of a problem before putting this crank in the motor. ive done everything, new bearings, o rings, motor has plenty of compression, it doesnt matter.

has anyone else had this crank in a vspec... ?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Adept

I believe the Ninja crank is the .28 from OS

so it may be to big for the components?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mlbracing
I believe the Ninja crank is the .28 from OS

so it may be to big for the components?
close but not the same, also, if you put the JX crank in to the v spec, all that pretty coating may wear faster, it was designed for the speed and JX rod which have the lube hole in the back of the rod, the v spec rod gets it's lube through the crank of the v spec, check your rod and crank.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

i dont have much run time sinse the swap due to fustration, i would only say a total of an inermittant 5 tanks or so. internally everything still looks good, just cant get a consistent idle. so there is a possibility my problems could be from the crank?

now im stuck... spend more money on this dam motor or just get a plus 4?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Tech Master

If you didn't put in the Ninja or SPEED rod there lies your problem.

The stock V-spec rod doesn't have an oiling hole like the ninja or speed rod do. You need that oiling hole if you run the ninja or speed crank.
Your motor is running hot because, most likely than not, you don't have any lube getting between you rod and crank pin.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:45 AM
Tech Regular

I just thought I'd say if you go ahead and get a Plus 4 you'll be one happy camper

Awesome engine.

Cheers
Old 08-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I put a ninja rod, piston, sleeve, and wrist pin into my v-spec. I had to richen things up because of the 5 port but other wise it runs like a champ.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xyzyx00
so i had about 6 gallons on my vspec and the pin that holds the rod broke on the crank. luckily no other internal damage occured. I ended up finding a new crank from a ninja and throwing that in. got to the track and immediately noticed i had to richen things up quite a bit, the motor was idling at like 230 and ever sinse i have had one heck of a time tuning a decent idle on this thing- i have NEVER had this much of a problem before putting this crank in the motor. ive done everything, new bearings, o rings, motor has plenty of compression, it doesnt matter.

has anyone else had this crank in a vspec... ?
No, but I'm actually thinking of doing exactly that due to the hard coating on the crank (crank will not wear as rapidly as the stock one.)

The hollow part of the crank is where your air and fuel mixture pass through- this is probably shaped different so it flows different. A retune would almost certainly be needed.

Also, as mentioned... you need either the Ninja rod or the Speed rod due to the difference in the way they are oiled. VSPEC rod with no oiling hole + Ninja crank with no oiling hole = no lubrication to the rod bushing on the lower end.

Someone said that's the .28 crank... I don't think it is the same, but might be. It is very similar to the Speed crank, but without the counterweights.

There is no reason your combination shouldn't work just fine as long as you use a rod that is appropriate for that crank.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Ninja engine uses the os .28 case not the crank.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

yep os .28 crankcase, with a few small differences
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

PLUS 4 and dont worry no more. Novarossi is the ticket !!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

If it's the original rod it is probably worn alot. Check your head shims to make sure they are all there.

Rex
Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

wierd... my rod does have the oil hole for the crank pin. i originally bought the motor used and im almost sure the previous owner changed the piston/sleeve assembly... maybe they put the speed rod in there at the same time.

gonna take it back to the track tomarrow and see what happens...
Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by xyzyx00
wierd... my rod does have the oil hole for the crank pin. i originally bought the motor used and im almost sure the previous owner changed the piston/sleeve assembly... maybe they put the speed rod in there at the same time.

gonna take it back to the track tomarrow and see what happens...
I see you are in SoCal. What track are you going to tomorrow?

I will be at ARC tomorrow night. I'd be happy to take a look at your engine and help you tune it.

Jimmy Wright