R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default WERKS Clutch

Anybody using the werks adjustable clutch and if so whats your opinion of it?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I bought 2 nip last year. got one to run good in a truggy for a couple gallons and last i knew it was still going(sold it). never did get it working right in buggy. they are apparently luck of the draw. some use them and work good and some have had major issues with them. dont try being over critical and just try putting it together properly and youll see if you got one you can use or not.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

the clutch works awesome, for some reason (I am guessing the contact patch) you wont go through clutch bell bearings at all..lol
a thing to do with the clutch is to make sure you take some pliers and squeeze the gold spring a few times before use or it will run funny.
also make sure your spring nut is flush when you tighten it down and use loctite.
I use two reds and two blacks but all blacks works great as well.
I switch between this clutch and the stock hot bodies clutch quite a bit.
MO
fast for an old guy
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

They do work well. I've used them in buggies, truggies and Monster trucks. I like the Rulon shoes the best. They slip a bit at first but about a lap into warm ups they warm up and grab really nice. I do go through more clutch bearings than I think I should with them though. I use the light spring and have 1-2 threads showing when I tighten the nut and sometimes I use the black or next heaviest spring and set the nut flush.
2fst2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

crap, blot stripts barly no bolt to lock onto, and u need alot of thread lock to hold the nut in the right position.
chad24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Sounds like you got a nut someone trimmed down or something. All the flywheel nuts I've gotten have had plenty of thread to put the nut on. 1 drop of RED locktite holds it just fine. With the heat created in there you don't have to worry about not getting it off either.
2fst2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Tech Master

Best investment I ever made.Use red locktite & clutch,bell & bearing will last forever.Oil your clutch bearings every week & you wont have any more maint than that for 5+ gallons. Never use a CB that has touched a standard clutch & always use RED locktite evry time the clutch nut comes off & those are the only tips needed.BTW I use 4 carbon or 2 carbon & 2 teflon shoes with soft spring & 2 threads showing.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Default Werks Clutch

Well I tried it yesterday and it seemed to do ok I was just running it around on the asphalt trying to tune in a motor.I did run it with a used clutch bell, but when I took it back apart I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I will put it back together and try it on the track next.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

I hope that USED clutch belll was NEVER ran on alum shoes...or Kiss those BN Werks shoes good bye.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Default uh-oh

I didnt run it but 1 tank and yes it had a M2C 4 shoe aluminum clutch setup in it before with the bell I was testing them with. The Werks shoes dont show any wear and look just like they did when I put them in. How will I know if they are hurt ? They acted fine while I was running them.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNHEADDUCK View Post
I didnt run it but 1 tank and yes it had a M2C 4 shoe aluminum clutch setup in it before with the bell I was testing them with. The Werks shoes dont show any wear and look just like they did when I put them in. How will I know if they are hurt ? They acted fine while I was running them.
he is reffering to the aluminum that gets built up on teh clutchbell from aluminum shoes.. the aluminum that gets caked on the clutchbell will wear carbon and carbonlike shoes quite a bit faster.
either use a stone bit on a dremel to clean it all off or better just swap the clutchbell, with a fresh clutchbell the shoes will last a looooooong time
fast for an old guy
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNHEADDUCK View Post

As long as you didn't slag out the shoes or anything crazy...if the bell was in good condition your probably safe...but ive seen alot of crazy thing's done when clutch issues are happening to people.

on a Side Note....If you ever need to clean a bell back to new....Muriatic Acid is a Etching acid that will eat the alum off the steel and get it back to the steel.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

The bell was in good condition with no build up in it I will try the muratic acid trick on a few bells I have that do have a buildup in it, thanks for the tip!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 253 (100%+)

Hey Jason did the werks motor show up yet?
92 vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Default Werks motor

jason i sent u a pm