R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Slayer

Hey guys, i'm planning on buying one tomorrow and had some questions. This one is two weeks old, great condition (except for some scratches on the body) and has everything I need to get started. It has the remote, electric start, fuel bottle, and a half a gallon of fuel. I'm wondering if theres any quams about these, or if its an all around good vehicle. I get all of that for 250 dollars and I think thats a pretty decent deal. Does this sound like a good deal? It has the 3.3cc motor and he said he's just finished the break in period so it's ready to go. I just want to make sure it'll be 250 dollars well spent...any advice is appreciated
Bennny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

imo, i think it's a great truck, based on the revo 2.5 chassis. for 250, you can't go wrong. biggest recommendation is to get the sway bar kit or stiffer springs if you plan on driving/racing on dirt.
iron_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:53 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Default Basher

There was some discussion about these trucks not too long ago. If you are buying it for backyard bashing they are a good little truck but don't expect to race it at the track because it doesn't fit into any categories for racing.. You wouldn't get any racers to go against unless your track has a 1/10th scale gas class.
As for buying a used nitro car , the engine would be my biggest concern but with the Engine replacement plan that Traxxas offers, you could get a new one pretty cheap. One red flag I always see with used nitro engines is when people sell them "just broke the engine in" or "only two tanks of gas" etc. Why would someone go through the laborious process of breaking an engine in the right way just to sell it right afterward? I would be asking some questions.
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have one too, I think it is a great truck for bashing, took it to the track once for practice and it sucked. I am not that good of a driver either though. Is this your first rc? I would consider electric if it is. Spend some time in a open area and get used to how fast it is, mine didnt like trees and biludings....lol
cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkman View Post
There was some discussion about these trucks not too long ago. If you are buying it for backyard bashing they are a good little truck but don't expect to race it at the track because it doesn't fit into any categories for racing.. You wouldn't get any racers to go against unless your track has a 1/10th scale gas class.
As for buying a used nitro car , the engine would be my biggest concern but with the Engine replacement plan that Traxxas offers, you could get a new one pretty cheap. One red flag I always see with used nitro engines is when people sell them "just broke the engine in" or "only two tanks of gas" etc. Why would someone go through the laborious process of breaking an engine in the right way just to sell it right afterward? I would be asking some questions.
It was only two weeks old, and his girlfriend came home and let him know she was pregnant. So he had to sell it, along with some other toys. Theres a track in Austin that has a "bucket" class that will allow me to race with buggies and what not

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
I have one too, I think it is a great truck for bashing, took it to the track once for practice and it sucked. I am not that good of a driver either though. Is this your first rc? I would consider electric if it is. Spend some time in a open area and get used to how fast it is, mine didnt like trees and biludings....lol
I'm taking mine to the track this week to have some fun with it, It is my first rc car but I have no interest in electric whatsoever. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennny View Post
It was only two weeks old, and his girlfriend came home and let him know she was pregnant. So he had to sell it, along with some other toys. Theres a track in Austin that has a "bucket" class that will allow me to race with buggies and what not

I'm taking mine to the track this week to have some fun with it, It is my first rc car but I have no interest in electric whatsoever. Thanks for the input!
If you uplan on doing any kind of racing, sway bars are a must!!!!! Now if you find your not likeing the truck, you are able to convert it to a 2.5 revo which ive done to my fathers slayer. Their a nice truck very durable but do to the lack of the number of slayers around and it handles better as a revo i converted it over. Have fun with your new truck!Give them hell!!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

he prey fried the engine thats prey why hes trying to sell it so cheep
austin hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
i would reccomend getting eletric first thats what i did but im really good with nitro rc cars and im only 13 years old
austin hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin hunter View Post
he prey fried the engine thats prey why hes trying to sell it so cheep
Fail.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead racer View Post
If you uplan on doing any kind of racing, sway bars are a must!!!!! Now if you find your not likeing the truck, you are able to convert it to a 2.5 revo which ive done to my fathers slayer. Their a nice truck very durable but do to the lack of the number of slayers around and it handles better as a revo i converted it over. Have fun with your new truck!Give them hell!!!!
Haha yea, thanks. I figure if worst comes to worst I can do what everyone does with nascar games when they get bored.....turn around and run into everybody
Old 08-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

benny,
i race at n-contorl as well, and you should get a slash youd have tons more fun with itand you could get a brand new one and soem batteries and a charger for 250.. trust me i sold my slayer after two weeks.. the slash is so much fun...
4130baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4130baja View Post
benny,
i race at n-contorl as well, and you should get a slash youd have tons more fun with itand you could get a brand new one and soem batteries and a charger for 250.. trust me i sold my slayer after two weeks.. the slash is so much fun...
I just like the nitro engines....I don't have any interest for electric. Although, it's a very big upside that they have slash classes. Is it because the slayer is new that there aren't very many races for them yet? Also, you should pm me your name and number, then you can let me know when you're going out and maybe i'll go try my luck in a bucket race. Is there a website for n-control?
Old 08-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

I recently bought a slayer as well, and it has been a great truck from the day I first started driving it. Make sure you get the sway bar kit if you plan on driving in dirt. The slayer isn't very stable when turning and I have some problems with rolling on corners, but you can get past that if you just slow down, or you could drift them. its defiantly not the best short course truck on the track, but it still loads of fun for a first truck. Its also a great basher...