R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Longevity of 21 motors, buggy vs. truggy?

has anybody noticed truggy motors seem to die quite a bit earlier than the same motor in a buggy? i'm not sure if its the weight difference, gearing, cooling or what. it seems a 21 has to work a lot harder to move a truggy around a track as opposed to a buggy. truggies have taller gearing so that should help, not sure tho. in a truggy we usually run harder springs in the clutch so they hit a lot later and harder too. i have been running truggy now about a year and am going through motors about every 3 months, when i started racing i ran sts 21's in buggy and truggy and they lasted at least 5 gallons each, could it be the brand? i ran rb's for a while and they never blew up, seems to me my go's just don't like being in a truggy, but the last one that died was in a buggy when it went. it did have about 1 gallon of truggy work ahead of that. is there something there? maybe?
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Tech Master

i don't race truggys but some of my friends do and we were talking about the same thing at the track on sat. i guess they do ware engines out faster.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Tech Master

thats the word i was looking for, wearing out earlier than in a buggy. i have had really bad luck with my go's so far and think it may be the truggy factor.

Last edited by j_blaze14; 08-12-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Go's have weaker crank materials then some....ask any modder what has the hardest crank and any of them that do a lot of crank work will tell you the Go's are rather soft compared to some.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Tech Master

my problems have been with the cases, and it looks like the next go's have the same ol' case.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_blaze14 View Post
my problems have been with the cases, and it looks like the next go's have the same ol' case.
well... if you know you have issues with a specific brand.. why stick with it?
unsp0ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Tech Master

i like the motors, they are easy to tune and are fast, until the case cracks. then the idle is all funky, temps go through the roof and its done soon after. there is a saying in this hobby, not sure how it goes, "cheep, fast or durable, pick 2."
Old 08-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

aren't go engines made in china ?
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
Tech Master

so a jammin 21 or p5xlt should do at least 8 gallons in a truggy, race tune? i'm really thinking of going back to buggy if it means longer lasting motors.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I'm running Orion crf's in my truggy and buggy and have had no trouble with them at all the run like deamons, last a long time, and last a long time. They are picco based but run alot better than picco's
Old 08-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #11
Tech Regular

I think in most of the cases it just down to a fact that you try to squeeze that extrabit out of the .21 that really isn't there. This leads to cases where you run it overly lean and combine it then with the heavier load of the truggy so for sure the engines take more punishment.

Clearly there is 2 types of drivers. Ones that can drive smooth, keep corner speed up and not waste the power on wheel spin. These are OK with .21 engines. Then there are others who just don't care that much about the lines and throw the truggy aroung as they know there will be enough power to put you back on line regardless if you make a mistake or not. These should use .28 or these mid-sized ones in .24-.25 range.

All in all I don't think a .21 lasts less in modern truggy than .28 does. It's more down to user, he's preferences and capability to match the used gear accordingly.

Regarding GO cases. From the engines we've sold sofar none that we know have cracked the case ?
Poinas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:41 AM   #12
Tech Master

cool, i do drive in the line and try to maintain corner speed. i drove a 28 once and it was just too torqy to dirve and i do all i can to take away the initial punch out of the jammin, so far so good. the go's just felt smoother and more controllable and the cost was right. i guess they just don't like me, i get the message now. i have a p5xlt on order, the go 5pt was based on the original p5 so hopefully it will be close in driveability for me. as far as overleaning, i am not a fan of smokeless driving, i like a lot of smoke coming from my motors. i will thow the jammin back in the truggy and let her eat.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

J. Blaze I too drive the Jammin JPX (non modified) in my 2.0T. I think it's an excellent truggy engine. Excellent bottom end and good top end. I have 5 gallons on engine now and actually I think it's just starting to hit it's stride. I had problems with it in the beginning (user error). I was running a P3 plug in it and it just hated that plug. Finally went to a Odennel 99T. I have been on the same plug. From the NC Nats and this weekends race. Which is atleast a 1 1/2 gallons of use. Where as before I was counting tanks of use with on my plugs. It absolutely hated P4's.
I like you have used go engines they are good engines. Despite what some would say. Watch a GO .24 kick the snot out of speeds, Toro's, P5's, FMS's, .28's at NC Nationals. It was driven by a pro sponsored driver. He was buy and far the fastest on the track amongst the pro's.
I like you as well have acquired a NOVA P5xlt. I like the way the engine has ran at our tracks and wanted to give it a try. I don't know if Buggy or Truggy makes a difference in engine life. I would say more that it's a matter of right engine for the job. An engine that can power a truggy can still be overly stressed for that particular application. Larger tires and added weight create definite stress factors on an engine. It's effect is not immediately seen but over time I'm sure it shows. Let me know how you like the P5. I'm not going to drop mine in till later as my Jammin is just a beast right now. I have ran my faster quals recently with it. Also have had my best finishes as well. I don't want to change whats working for me just yet.
One thing I have definatley learned since starting this hobby. It's not the brand of car or the brand of engine. It's definately the driver. I have seem all of the top brands win whether it was car or engine. Just choose the one you like and wheel it like you stole something. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehames005 View Post
They are picco based but run alot better than picco's

TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Like how RB is Novarossi based but runs better than Novarossi's?

The snozberries really do taste like snozberries!
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote