R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (http://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Losi 8ight buggy brakes - feel a little draggy (http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/318791-losi-8ight-buggy-brakes-feel-little-draggy.html)

Espeefan 08-10-2009 01:21 PM

Losi 8ight buggy brakes - feel a little draggy

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some information. I have a brand new Losi 8ight 2.0 buggy that I am installing the engine and electronics on. So far, just the engine and pipe are in place. No servos yet.

But in my playing around with the throttle and brake linkages, by hand, it feels like the brakes do not fully release, once applied. If I lightly apply them by pulling on the linkages with my fingers, and then let go, it's as though the brake cams are not loosening their grip on the metal plates (calipers). Even if I try rolling the buggy, while completely pushing the brake linkages the opposite way, there is still a noticable drag, and the cams will not seem to loosen up. I have to manually release the cams, by pushing the cam levers, and then the buggy rolls very easily.

Is this normal? Is there something I can do to help the cams loosen up, when the linkage is released? Maybe some springs on the shoulder bolts, which the brake calipers slide on? Or is this drag just caused by the simple fact that my buggy hasn't been run in and things haven't gotten a chance to loosen up? It doesn't seem right to me, and I'm about to dig into the problem by disassembling the center differential assembly, to inspect the brake cams.

Espeefan 08-10-2009 02:10 PM

Ah, never mind guys. I figured out the problem. Apparently the brake cams can be bound up if the center differential top brace is tightened all the way down. I'm guessing the cams are a little to tall, and if you snug the screws down completely, the plastic top brace starts to bow and this binds the cams up. For now, I've got the brake cams nice and free, however the screws are a bit loose. I think a guy could install some washers (to gain some clearance for the cams) under the top brace and then torque the screws down normally. I'll probably try that later down the road. Thanks for reading!

losiracer78 08-10-2009 02:12 PM

to start with your car is going to be alittle tight and is going to take some time to break in. As far as you brakes when you have your servo in it will push the linkage open and will release and your brakes will free up. if they are still tight when you have all that in you can unscrew the linkage in half turns or so until the breaks have no drag. You dont want any drag break you will see that there are some new guys that run drag brake and is not good for the brakes at all they get hot and will not work right.

air8 08-10-2009 02:19 PM

Just leave the screws a quarter turn loose. I've been doing that since the 1.0 came out years ago.

Also check to make sure you aren't letting the brake cams go past center. If they go past center the point on the cam can stick against the metal pad. Take your diff out and measure everything and adjust to get it as close as possible to the manual.

Espeefan 08-10-2009 04:15 PM

Thanks for input fellas. As I mentioned, my solution, at least for the time being, is to keep the screws a bit loose. Not much, just a little. At least I see this isn't unheard of. My brakes are perfect now. No matter how tight I pull the linkage, the cams will free up on their own, just as soon as the linkage is released.