R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I concur with nutfluff. There's very little you get from a Hudy station or any station that cost $125+, that you can't manage with:

a $8 ride height gauge
a $7 camber gauge
a $19 digital caliper

Setup stations are for onroad, not used much in the offroad scene.
san. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Its more of a convenience thing offroad. Especially getting steering symetry correct.

I alighn my nitrobuggy before every race. It takes a half hour with fresh wheels on. But if the wheels wobble a little it takes a bit more time to find the net camber and toe values. ( set camber spin wheel, set camber, spin wheel, check camber, spin wheel........)

It's alot easier and quicker in a Hudy setup station. Can get close enough with a pop can, but its a pain.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

another thing to keep in mind is to be careful with following other people's setups such as pros, etc when using a setup station. the reason being is that these guys are probably eyeballing their setups, using gauges and going by feel. therefore, what they may perceive to be -2 degrees of camber or 3 degrees of toe may differ from what your setup station would give. but anyway, just a thought.
unsp0ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutfluff View Post
Take that time and money and spend it at the track running laps... find the right tires and you have 90% of the correct set-up. I can see setup stations valuable in onroad where the track remains relatively consistent compared to the minute by minute changes in an offroad track...
+1 on the right tires. The right tires can make or break you.

On the setup station I use the one from Hudy. I absolutely love it. It is fast and easy to check camber and front end toe. It takes all the guess work out. I find that when the setup is on it helps me drive faster. The tracks I run at seem to have a group of guys that are very close in lap times. I have taken 4th by .2 seconds before. I have also noticed that consistent lap times come with a consistent setup. I love anything Hudy and the setup station is no different. Spend the money and gain the confidence that you have the correct setup. Thats my opinion.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsp0ken View Post
another thing to keep in mind is to be careful with following other people's setups such as pros, etc when using a setup station. the reason being is that these guys are probably eyeballing their setups, using gauges and going by feel. therefore, what they may perceive to be -2 degrees of camber or 3 degrees of toe may differ from what your setup station would give. but anyway, just a thought.
+1

I run -2 degrees of camber on my buggy all the time, every time. I'm going to kill the next racer that asks why my camber is set straight up! A quick look around the pits and i'm seeing 3-4 everywhere!
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nutfluff

Here's your free set up station.....

Get the right tires, keep your shocks even and smooth, your diffs filled, your drivetrain drag free, your clutch maintained, your engined tuned, your throttle linkage set properly, your brakes biased so they don't lock up...then get around the track during a qual without needing a turn marshall while turning lap times that are consistent with 1 second/lap...

Then you can go get a set up station that will help you "dial in" camber, toe and droop more precisely than you can eyeball that will ultimately get you .5 seconds/lap faster. Then you're a lazy turn marshall away from throwing it all out the window while your car sits on its lid and he's texting his GF about what kind of Lite Beer he should bring home after the races....

nutfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to CHogle

Quote:
Here's your free set up station.....

Get the right tires, keep your shocks even and smooth, your diffs filled, your drivetrain drag free, your clutch maintained, your engined tuned, your throttle linkage set properly, your brakes biased so they don't lock up...then get around the track during a qual without needing a turn marshall while turning lap times that are consistent with 1 second/lap...

Then you can go get a set up station that will help you "dial in" camber, toe and droop more precisely than you can eyeball that will ultimately get you .5 seconds/lap faster. Then you're a lazy turn marshall away from throwing it all out the window while your car sits on its lid and he's texting his GF about what kind of Lite Beer he should bring home after the races....

i agree keep you car maintained and dont wreck on the track and youll be faster. do you see Drake, Tebo, King using a setup station. NOPE
Fluff is right save the money and get the gages listed above, and a few sets of tires. then go to some practice sessions to tune your car/truck in. on feel.
i can tell you that you will be faster.

the station is a confidance booster, as much as a tuning option.
if you need that extra confidence going into the race than spend the money and get it.

i have a flat setup board and the gages listed above thats it. it seems to serve me just fine