Wiki Posts
Search

motor help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default motor help

I have a revo with an os18tz, the pull start is stuck out. When I remove the glow plug, the rope pulls back into place. When I put the plug back in, the pull start hangs out again. I put a new pull start in, just incase, but that did not help. Anyone help me with this please.
thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

does it turn the engine over when you pull it out?

sounds like the one-way bearing is backwards
Old 08-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

When you say you put a new pull start in... do you mean you jsut replaced the black pull start part ?? or did you remove the backing plate from the engine, and remove the turbo fan that connects to the con rod?

If you just replaced the black pullstart part then yeah i'd say there's something wrong with the one way bearing (this resides in the turbo fan). One way bearings are pretty hit and miss... the reason i turned to a starter box was because you no longer need a one way... starter boxes are pricey though...
Old 08-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok i maybe wrong but what i have read is when you put the glow plug in the pull start do't work which means the engine have great compression (thats a good thing) & when you take the glow plug out the pull start work...what i doo is leave the plug in put loosen it up alittle then put the glow ignitor on,start engine then tighten up gloow plug
Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
ok i maybe wrong but what i have read is when you put the glow plug in the pull start do't work which means the engine have great compression (thats a good thing) & when you take the glow plug out the pull start work...what i doo is leave the plug in put loosen it up alittle then put the glow ignitor on,start engine then tighten up gloow plug
While i agree that may get him up and running... i would recommend fixing the problem, rather than finding a work around ... A pull start should always turn over the motor with glow plug in fully.

If you insist on trying other work arounds... i'm sure heating the engine case (not the cooling head... but the engine case) with a hair dryer will also help you starting the car with your slightly iffy pull start.

I'd still be checking out your one way bearing though... but that's just me.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gas-man
I have a revo with an os18tz, the pull start is stuck out. When I remove the glow plug, the rope pulls back into place. When I put the plug back in, the pull start hangs out again. I put a new pull start in, just incase, but that did not help. Anyone help me with this please.
thanks
Actually... one more question... if you pull it out say 10 cm... does it not pull back in at all? Then if you pull it out a further 5cm it still doesn't pull in?

Or are you saying you are pulling the string all the way out as far as it goes and then expecting it to pull back in?

My friends car has a pull start that sticks sometimes... and when i say some times i mean maybe once in 50 pulls or something... the way he gets his to pull back in is he just rolls the fly wheel a bit and the string generally rolls back in.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks for all the help.
If I pull it out at all, an inch or two or three, it will not retract ( until i remove the glow plug).
I just replaced the $18 pull start, not the backing plate. Since it worked ok the 20 starts before and I didnt move the OWB, I dont think it can be backwards.
It does sound like it turning the motor over when I pull the cord w/o the glow plug. I will try the OWB next, can I clean it out or should I replace it?

On the starter box, the the gears/teeth on the car or the box wear down or get smooth over time? If so, how hard are they to replace?
Is there much set up or adjustment to make it line up properly?

Thanks again for all the help, Im glad your steering me away from a motor issue.