R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo View Post
I dont disagree at all. Those that I saw, may not have been the best tuners. The climate can be a nightmare for tuning here as well.
lowblktaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowblktaco View Post
on what grounds? Experience, word of mouth? Guessing game. I am just curious. I have been looking long and hard at the toro nero as well, for truggy. The Ninja is out for me because of the amount of issues I see so many racers have. I liked them, they were very powerful and smooth, but too many people had persistent flameouts.
you are kidding right??? the current novarossi engines are notorious for flameouts. i am yet to see a novarossi plus 4 be consistent. os has a reputation for being reliable.
lalmog91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalmog91 View Post
you are kidding right??? the current novarossi engines are notorious for flameouts. i am yet to see a novarossi plus 4 be consistent. os has a reputation for being reliable.
Nope, are you? From my experience, OS are great motors, I dont dispute that.

I run the +4 and have had nothing but great success with it thus far. Several guys are running it and have nothing but great things to say about it.
Not to say in the back of my mind I am not a little concerned about flameout rap, but I seriously believe, just like another poster said, most flameouts are a tunining issue. I take my own first hand experiences to have more weight than a forum of folks that, for the most part do not know each other, know their skill level, tuning ability, etc.

That is the trouble with forums. You may get guys who are not so experienced having all kinds of troubles and issues without access to experienced help. You start getting a collective and then all of the sudden it turns into a negative rap about a certain buggy, engine, servo, etc...

Unless I know the racers, know their skill level, I take alot of the forums lightly.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowblktaco View Post
Nope, are you? From my experience, OS are great motors, I dont dispute that.

I run the +4 and have had nothing but great success with it thus far. Several guys are running it and have nothing but great things to say about it.
Not to say in the back of my mind I am not a little concerned about flameout rap, but I seriously believe, just like another poster said, most flameouts are a tunining issue. I take my own first hand experiences to have more weight than a forum of folks that, for the most part do not know each other, know their skill level, tuning ability, etc.

That is the trouble with forums. You may get guys who are not so experienced having all kinds of troubles and issues without access to experienced help. You start getting a collective and then all of the sudden it turns into a negative rap about a certain buggy, engine, servo, etc...

Unless I know the racers, know their skill level, I take alot of the forums lightly.
+1
Brandon Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

true, forums are good to an extent. but i am mainly basing this off of what i see. at the local tracks i race at i have never seen a new style novarossi engine finish a race without a hitch. and the people who are having flame out issues know how to tune a motor for the most part. because they have os engines running fine. now when what i see at the track is consistent with complaints on a forum there has to be some truth.
lalmog91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

The current Novas in my opinion are as reliable when in comes to holding a tune or getting the right tune as the os based engines. I dont own one yet but what i am seeing at our tracks, i might get one. I have two older Novas the 7bt and the 5k. Even at the hands of experts this engines losses tune as soon as the weather changes or even during a long main. Your pit guy must know how to adjust the needles. I have seen this before. So as a newb I went for an os vspec. I hardly touch the needles one set.

I am also looking at a toro nero for my 808 but had a great deal with the speed 2 wc so no contest here. A speed 2 with a price tag of a toro nero.
oggietiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just keep in mind that a person that can tune a O.S. may not get the tune right on a nova, they are 2 diff engines, when i went from the OS to the Nova i was trying to tune it the same way as the OS and that doesnt work, I am not saying that ur peps dont know what they are doing, it can throw a good tuner a loop if they never had 1 before and learned the diff in the 2
Brandon Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

toro nero for truggy or buggy for large tracks,
For me i'd get a 4+ for my buggy because there is usually small/medium size tracks i go to and I like to be different since alot of people here have the ninja.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalmog91 View Post
true, forums are good to an extent. but i am mainly basing this off of what i see. at the local tracks i race at i have never seen a new style novarossi engine finish a race without a hitch. and the people who are having flame out issues know how to tune a motor for the most part. because they have os engines running fine. now when what i see at the track is consistent with complaints on a forum there has to be some truth.
Believe me when I say I am not arguing, but I have also found there are many ways to tune a motor. A tune method for an OS may or may not work for another. Some motors are easier to tune and one way may work better than the next. There are entirely too many variables in tuning, fuel tank design, fuel filters, fuel line, pipe, plugs, fuel, clutch, bearings, amount a needle is turned at one time during tuning, drag on the drivetrain, improper linkage settings, goofed up epa settings, a guys throttle finger, etc...to complete dismiss an engine as consistent.

I am still in the learning stage of my tuning ability as well. I have seen guys run a lean bottom and fat top on their motors and other guys run a richer bottom and leaner top on the same type/model of motor. Both may work, but are likely to have different powerbands, feel, amount of smoke through the powerband, ability to stay consistent through the tank top to bottom.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My son uses a Ninja in his buggy and a Toro in the Truggy. I have to admit, the Ninja has been a very very good motor. I log all the run times for his engines; since I do all the work..ha, and he is at just over 10 gallons with no rebuild and no issues. He runs top 3 at every race locally and the Ninja is a bit much still. We use the 6mm carb insert and the steel Losi flywheel along with running it a bit rich to tame it down. The Toro is softer on the bottom than the Ninja and runs hotter. But, it gets about 11 mins on average, no flame outs. A lot of Novas at our club with good success; not many complaints. I have found out through the years of many many motors that most are pretty well built and designed nowadays. If a specific brand had major flameouts all the time, they'd eventually go down the tubes. The Nova is a little harder to tune than the Ninja but the tradeoff is fuel mileage. Both motors are great and both have their strong points. I race Truggy, but Im a B Main racer; so I dont really get the most out of a motor; but isnt that the majority of us out here? I still like to get good fuel mileage so that I can take advantage of less fuel stops. The Toro has been a good motor for me as well.
Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

if you are looking at the Toro..then check out the FMS....it was designed for us tracks..has a ceramic rear bearing and is just plain silly fast. after i tried this engine i sold all the others including the Ninja, plus 4, rb c5..and a few more. it does everything...and it revs so quick it is scary.. just a thought

JESUS SAVES, WESLEY
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Whats the FMS?
ericsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsp2 View Post
Whats the FMS?
im curious too???...im geting on google asap
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

is he talking about this engine??fms, i'm wondering now!

http://www.myrcblog.com/2008/09/nova...-for-xray.html
Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yea thats it i just looked it
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote