R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket View Post
With the Reedy or motors in general?
Engines in general, not specific to the Reedy.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i broke the motor in how the manual told me to. i know one of the factory drivers that did the same thing. 5 tanks and the motor was tuned and running great. so i think mine was defective or something. im going to call reedy in about a hour and see what they can do.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways88 View Post
i broke the motor in how the manual told me to. i know one of the factory drivers that did the same thing. 5 tanks and the motor was tuned and running great. so i think mine was defective or something. im going to call reedy in about a hour and see what they can do.
Check your PM's
Old 08-13-2009, 04:02 AM   #19
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Check your PM's
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums. I picked up a few of the Reedy motors and so far I have had no problem with rods after breaking it in as the manual said. Runs smooth as butter and idles good in any condition. Easy to tune so far

Would love to get that PM though
RoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:22 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bought one, and I started having problems with it getting tuned in my RC8b. It became really frustrating. It would idle great, it would run like an animal. But it would not hold a tune. Then it finally got to the point where it would go about 100' and just die under full throttle. I got so pissed. I called AE, and come to find out, my tank is crap. They have a new batch of tanks they are sending out. But all in all, the reedy ran with the 5 and 7 ports at the track, no one could run me down. I love the motor.
lxlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:33 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQC049 View Post
Engines in general, not specific to the Reedy.
I agree with dan a heat up of the block aleviates the friction of a new piston and sleeve.

Just looked and it's 89.99 for P & S and like 28 bucks for the conrod. Not too shabby.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #22
Tech Regular

something with mine. when i took it out of the box it was locked in the pinch.
i have never received a motor that way. i did preheat at first but found not really necessary due to the low pinch and compression. have broken in some
starter box killers before. was nice not to deal with i guess. motor rips just see how long it lasts. 1/2 gallon down
fukitol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukitol View Post
something with mine. when i took it out of the box it was locked in the pinch.
i have never received a motor that way. i did preheat at first but found not really necessary due to the low pinch and compression. have broken in some
starter box killers before. was nice not to deal with i guess. motor rips just see how long it lasts. 1/2 gallon down
Mine also came with the piston at TDC. Come to think of it, the last three engines I bought all came that way. I preheated mine for the first gallon and she seems to be holding up well so far. By the end of this weekend I should have about 2 gallons through it.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQC049 View Post
Mine also came with the piston at TDC. Come to think of it, the last three engines I bought all came that way. I preheated mine for the first gallon and she seems to be holding up well so far. By the end of this weekend I should have about 2 gallons through it.
Every motor comes locked at TDC from the manufacture. Its to keep the garbage out of the ports when other customers look at in the LHS. Sometimes they come undone when people look/play with them at the counter. If that's the case then always open it and double check that there is no junk in the motor before break in.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Every motor comes locked at TDC from the manufacture. Its to keep the garbage out of the ports when other customers look at in the LHS. Sometimes they come undone when people look/play with them at the counter. If that's the case then always open it and double check that there is no junk in the motor before break in.
last few motors have been mod motors they were not locked at tdc.
seems strange to do so to me every time i run a motor i place piston at bdc.
if a box is not factory sealed i will not buy or better have a heavy discount.
fukitol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukitol View Post
last few motors have been mod motors they were not locked at tdc.
seems strange to do so to me every time i run a motor i place piston at bdc.
if a box is not factory sealed i will not buy or better have a heavy discount.
Yes after you run an engine and its hot you don't want the piston to be at TDC when it cools down. It shouldn't be a problem with a brand new engine that has never been run.
bcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sent my new Reedy engine to Ed at EBMods for a race prep. For $70.00 this is what you get.

RP Service includes but not limited to:

Engines are blueprinted and checked for proper clearance and overall fit. - Carburetors are fully inspected and checked on Flow Bench - Crankcases are fully inspected - Inspect Bearing Alignment. - Head Clearance checked and set - Engines are HAND BUILT - Compression Ratio set for 30% Nitro with 8%-11% oil content. Running at sea level up to 3500ft above sea level. - Fully Broken-In Ready to Race Tune - Dyno printout with each engine.
Benefits of Race Prepping:

1. Engines are broken-in and ready to race.

2. Thorough inspection of all the engine parts, so a no chance of getting a defective engine.

3. Proper engine set-up, so no worries about having your head shimmed correct.

4. Longer engine life, and more power over stock engines.

Ed is also checking my engine on the dyno with different pipes to get me the best power and fuel consumption setup for the engine.
http://ebmods.com/

Last edited by bcrazy; 08-13-2009 at 11:09 AM.
bcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im actually thinking about picking 2 of these guys up for my losi 8b and 8t 2.0. Whats the run time you guys are getting with the Reedy? Ive seen one running at the track and man does that thing purr. From a standstill that thing would fly.

Where do you find the parts for the motor too? ive been looking everywhere, or maybe not. If i get the motors i want to be able to pick up extra rods and p/s and a couple parts here and there. If anyone knows let me know. thanks!!!

hope you guys are having good luck with this mill!
GRP 2053, RE10, RE11, NOVA9901
DX3S/M11x
j8ight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)
Send a message via AIM to megasaxon Send a message via Yahoo to megasaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8ight13 View Post
Im actually thinking about picking 2 of these guys up for my losi 8b and 8t 2.0. Whats the run time you guys are getting with the Reedy? Ive seen one running at the track and man does that thing purr. From a standstill that thing would fly.

Where do you find the parts for the motor too? ive been looking everywhere, or maybe not. If i get the motors i want to be able to pick up extra rods and p/s and a couple parts here and there. If anyone knows let me know. thanks!!!

hope you guys are having good luck with this mill!
last i looked horizonhobby.com has the parts in stock, also a couple of eBay stores have them as well. p/s is 74.99 from Horizon
Old 08-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That is not a bad price at all. How is this motor compared to a vspec or a grp? Im kind of looking for something that has a silky powerband.

thanks for the tip megasaxon.
GRP 2053, RE10, RE11, NOVA9901
DX3S/M11x
j8ight13 is offline   Reply With Quote