R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 306
Default 1/8th SCALE SHORTCOURSE CHASSIS DEBATE

I just finished my 1/8 th scale SC truck useing a Caster truggy chassis and Caster buggy arms and mugen drivetrain.LUV IT. My question is since the only two currently available trucks,Robotronics and A/E have stretched truggy chassis should this be spec for the class.I see alot of people puting slash bodies on their nitro buggies and calling them shortcourse trucks.They look cool but it's not really a truck in any way. Just a buggy without a wing.I think the class should spec a truggy length chassis. Front bumper.150cc fuel tank and SC specific tires or Proline Moabs due to current lack of tire choice.Since the full scale trucks are so overpowered it would be cool to spec .28 + power.Yup any engine .28 or larger.No .21s.The additional power would challenge the tires and the driver.I say keep the .21 race motors out of this class and maybe the monster truckers will start comming back to the track.I know the motor thing is a stretch but the truggy chassis should definitly be a rule.This class is growing fast and we need some race rules.
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
hakmazter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,469
Default

Pete26, great question and comment. This is the whole reason we stopped production on the Caster SCORE. We obviously have everything we need to be ready to go, but we want to make sure that the rules are well established. We actually made a corr truck body and I have 6 samples here, but it is based off the buggy since we were the first to start talking about it. We would have lost the battle anyways since we are so small compared to AE.
__________________
I mass produced the first electric 1/8 scale buggy and truggy.
www.HopeWDM.org
I have thousands of dollars of caster racing inventory available.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Most guys are using truggy chassis on their Corr buggy's.....the many conversion's ive seen done had them at least.


seems like you got rubbed the wrong way at the track or something
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
GSMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Under Mount Etna
Posts: 189
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I've got an SC8 and am a huge fan. Depending on how you look at it, the first vehicles out usually define the class. Therefore, I do believe that if a "spec" situation does arise, it will be with a truggy length chassis.

In watching the differences, I believe the tires are the number one distinguishing factor for what defines a 1/8 CORR truck. If you allow a buggy type tire, then it is, as stated, a buggy with a truck body. So if the vehicle doesn't have the SC type tires, it's not even worth the effort.

For the motor, I have mixed feelings. I do like the fact of having specific motor requirements, and there are pro's and cons for .21 size, along with the larger size. Making these trucks faster with the CORR spec tires I think can actually be a detriment rather than a benefit.

Either way, I'm looking forward to 1/8 SC truck racing to grow and grow.
__________________
DIALED-RC HOBBIES
CLOCKWORK RACING ENGINES
GSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
Madbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 727
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

There needs to be another manufacture to make a 1/8 CORR truck for it to really take off. I would agree with the spec rules to make it a class off its own. Other wise it just becomes a bunch of buggies with different bodies.
__________________
XT8 - Werks B5
Hyper 10SC Novak PRO ESC 4.5HV
Madbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Chris K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 2,572
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
Pete26, great question and comment. This is the whole reason we stopped production on the Caster SCORE. We obviously have everything we need to be ready to go, but we want to make sure that the rules are well established. We actually made a corr truck body and I have 6 samples here, but it is based off the buggy since we were the first to start talking about it. We would have lost the battle anyways since we are so small compared to AE.
I firmly believe that *I* qualify as a manufacturer - simply because I've converted TWO buggies to SC trucks - a Mugen and a Kyosho 777. But seriously, I think that it's pretty obvious that Associated is the leader in this area and they have cast the 'die' so to speak with a truggy chassis and buggy arms. That setup will allow the use of the Associated bodies which are realistic looking and evidently quite durable - at least when supported by the cages!

[QUOTE=Integra;6181957]Most guys are using truggy chassis on their Corr buggy's.....the many conversion's ive seen done had them at least./QUOTE]

That's the way it is over this direction anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMike View Post
I've got an SC8 and am a huge fan. Depending on how you look at it, the first vehicles out usually define the class. Therefore, I do believe that if a "spec" situation does arise, it will be with a truggy length chassis.

In watching the differences, I believe the tires are the number one distinguishing factor for what defines a 1/8 CORR truck. If you allow a buggy type tire, then it is, as stated, a buggy with a truck body. So if the vehicle doesn't have the SC type tires, it's not even worth the effort.

For the motor, I have mixed feelings. I do like the fact of having specific motor requirements, and there are pro's and cons for .21 size, along with the larger size. Making these trucks faster with the CORR spec tires I think can actually be a detriment rather than a benefit.

Either way, I'm looking forward to 1/8 SC truck racing to grow and grow.
There's a LOT of wisdom in this post - and we have come to the conclusion that you can run whatever engine you want 'cause you're only going to be just SO hooked up with the STOCK ASSOCIATED SC TIRES/WHEELS. And that is the great equalizer - just run those wheels and tires only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrad View Post
There needs to be another manufacture to make a 1/8 CORR truck for it to really take off. I would agree with the spec rules to make it a class off its own. Other wise it just becomes a bunch of buggies with different bodies.
and that's what the 'conversion' featured in a special issue of some magazine looked like too - a freakin' buggy with a truck body - gosh, the wheels aren't even covered by the body and THAT is what makes for the fun racing them!

For my next conversion, I'm going to convert my RC8B (original version) to a SC8 'Factory Team'..... Plan to use big bore shocks and make it as racy as I can but it's still limited by the wheel/tire combination! The only thing about this 'conversion' is that I bet the parts fit easier!
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
carlosm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 609
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

This post has spiked my curiosity... Is there another thread or site somewhere with pictures on the SC conversions that guys are doing? I've got an original 8 truggy and several spare parts... that I would like to use to do one of these conversions... After racing 1/8 for two seasons now, I went an bought a Slash.. man that thing is fun! I can only imagine doing one of these conversions.. Thanks
__________________
Carlos Macias
Durango - DNX408, DESC410, DEX210
LutzRC.com - AnswerRC - Kal-Gard - Acendancy Racing - PT RC Silicone's
BuckarooGear.com
carlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Most guys are using truggy chassis on their Corr buggy's.....the many conversion's ive seen done had them at least.


seems like you got rubbed the wrong way at the track or something
Not at all.Just wanted some opinions on the class and what people wanted to run.Seems we need some rules for this class.I put allot of time into getting mine up and running to what I assumed would be the spec based on the SC8 chassis and arm configuration.I beleive the scale handling characteristics are only obtained with the truggy chassis.The buggy conversions look more like a late model oval car with a slash body to me.Both are pretty cool looking really.I just think we should follow A/E and Robotronics's lead and spec a truggy length chassis so everyone is on the same playing field.This class is a logical stepping stone for the Slash and SC10 class drivers,monster truckers looking to race,and the growing fullscale SC fanbase.The potential for nitro shortcourse is huge if properly marketed.Big ass truck with a big ass engine that will survive alot of bumping and banging.Whats not to like????
GS Mike, I'm with you on the tires.Wish we had a bigger selection.The PL Moabs are pretty equal to the SC8 tire though with really similar traction and sidebite.
Hak,I'll try to get some pics posted of this thing.It turned out really sweet.Been eating the SC8's alive.
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosm View Post
This post has spiked my curiosity... Is there another thread or site somewhere with pictures on the SC conversions that guys are doing? I've got an original 8 truggy and several spare parts... that I would like to use to do one of these conversions... After racing 1/8 for two seasons now, I went an bought a Slash.. man that thing is fun! I can only imagine doing one of these conversions.. Thanks
RCShortcourse.com.There are a few conversion pics there.The bummer is that tire and body selection are very limited.A few more manufacturors are comming aboard soon and this will help.Carlos,these conversions are almost as fun to build as they are to drive.I used parts I had laying around and got a truck that way outhandles either production model.I put a modded Drake .28 on mine and it is a missle.... SC8's are cool but I like the homebuilt trucks better.There are several of these at our local track.Fun class.
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
Tech Addict
 
carlosm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 609
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Pete, thanks for the info... looks like I've found my next project!
__________________
Carlos Macias
Durango - DNX408, DESC410, DEX210
LutzRC.com - AnswerRC - Kal-Gard - Acendancy Racing - PT RC Silicone's
BuckarooGear.com
carlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 855
Default

I know and have seen them run OFNA Mutilator and T-maxx turned into a short course truck.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Chris K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 2,572
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

So where is everybody???

I know Mr. Hackmazter is in IA (we need to play at Hobby Haven some day - when I'm summoned to the Des Moines office).....

I'm in Missouri but race in KS - at Timberline Raceway (growing field of SC conversions!)

and my point in this is that some of us may be close enough that we can race together!
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #13
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 306
Default

I am in Orlando FL.My home track is Outacontrol Raceway.We have a full class of these and more showing up every race.We are currently rebuilding the track for a ROAR regional.We live and breath RC out here.
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
So where is everybody???

I know Mr. Hackmazter is in IA (we need to play at Hobby Haven some day - when I'm summoned to the Des Moines office).....

I'm in Missouri but race in KS - at Timberline Raceway (growing field of SC conversions!)

and my point in this is that some of us may be close enough that we can race together!
There hasn't been much nitro racing at Hobby Haven this year I live there. Sad part you can drive 2 hours in about any direction it's alive and doing well. I've been playing on a track with friends that is just west of town on the farm the video's is on youtube (farmerphil22). This is where I've been running against SC8 and conversion OFNA Mutilator and T-maxx. I have just gotten SC8 but it was very hot Saturday and rained hard Sunday there.
I'm told from Nitrohouse in Cali that Shortcourse trucks have kind of taken the place of Truggies out there.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
Tech Addict
 
carlosm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 609
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I'm in northern Cali (Nitrohouse in Southern) but as far as SC Nitro Trucks up here they are pretty much non-existent. The Slash & SC10 electrics have a pretty good following... but no nitro..
__________________
Carlos Macias
Durango - DNX408, DESC410, DEX210
LutzRC.com - AnswerRC - Kal-Gard - Acendancy Racing - PT RC Silicone's
BuckarooGear.com
carlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:05 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net