1/8th SCALE SHORTCOURSE CHASSIS DEBATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

28 was used to do the controlled power slides better
Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Integra
Ok first of all....Yes .21's are more expensive then sport .28's....BUT they DO NOT last as long...cheaper motor's are made from cheaper materials...and therefor WILL not last as long....2ndly they DO NOT make more power then race .21's....yes they have more Overall Tq...but the top end power which what really matter's makes the sport .28's look like a turtle trying to catch the hare......Mandatory .28's IMO is a stupid idea....forces you to overpower the chassis and waste fuel....in this economy i would be looking for the most fuel efficient motor to get the job done....and a Sport .28 Isnt it.
At one point you say a 21 is more powerfull and then you say a .28 would overpower the chassis......A race .21 will last you realistically 6 or seven gallons at most if you race often.A os .28 has more torque and hp than an os speed.More torque available means you can gear up a tooth or two and have more top speed. A .28 doesn't have to work as hard to make power.If your not pushing an engine hard it will last longer.Period.The conrod and crank are beefier on a .28, there for they will last longer.Remember both production trucks currently come with .28's...I've noticed your posts are all kinda negative.This hobby is supposed to be fun....What SC truck do you race? Hmmmm???
Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I agree with integra. Make it a open motor class. If you wanna run a .28, go for it, if I and all the other people that realize the advantages of a good true .21, will run .21. Some .28s make more power, but the ones that do, its too much. You dont need it. And they cost way more than there .21 brothers.

I dont think he is being negative. a .21 size motor is plane and simply more reliable than a .28. Tuning, engine life, bearing life, fuel economy, even tire life. If this is a race class, slides are not all that important, and a good .21 can do those in a heart beat anyway. Most .21's are more than enough power. If you can tune a motor rite, a good .21 is gonna beat a .28. Period.

A good set up car and driver will beat a bad car and good motor any day. Focus on the things that count. set up
Old 08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I say it like it is Pete...Im truly sorry you feel so offended by my comment's.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing
I agree with integra. Make it a open motor class. If you wanna run a .28, go for it, if I and all the other people that realize the advantages of a good true .21, will run .21. Some .28s make more power, but the ones that do, its too much. You dont need it. And they cost way more than there .21 brothers.

I dont think he is being negative. a .21 size motor is plane and simply more reliable than a .28. Tuning, engine life, bearing life, fuel economy, even tire life. If this is a race class, slides are not all that important, and a good .21 can do those in a heart beat anyway. Most .21's are more than enough power. If you can tune a motor rite, a good .21 is gonna beat a .28. Period.

A good set up car and driver will beat a bad car and good motor any day. Focus on the things that count. set up
You guys are missing the point.I think it seems more scale to run a big block in a SC truck.The full scale ones have up to 900hp after all..21'S are better for racing buggies and truggies there's no doubt.My OS speed and Nova Rossi 367+2 are 400 dollar race engines that will get 10 minutes on a tank.I love them but alot of these trucks are gonna see double duty as bashers.A good .28 seems taylor made for this class.I just think it's a cool idea.A way to seperate the class from the mainstream.That's what the production trucks all have so far and I think the new Cen SC truck is gonna have a .28 too.Maybe it will create a little excitement when the big blocks take to the track.It's all in fun.Not the end of the world if someone shows up with a .21.... I'll still beat him with a .28 though.Beat him like a pair of Bongo's in a Santana song....Ouch!!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Integra
I say it like it is Pete...Im truly sorry you feel so offended by my comment's.
Not at all offended man, this is a debate.Sorry if I came across wrong.I'm not much of a typer.All your points were good ones.I know the motor thing is kinda wierd.I just think it would be cool.And thats what I put in mine so it must be right.LOL..So what truck do you race?What track?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pete 26
Not at all offended man, this is a debate.Sorry if I came across wrong.I'm not much of a typer.All your points were good ones.I know the motor thing is kinda wierd.I just think it would be cool.And thats what I put in mine so it must be right.LOL..So what truck do you race?What track?

i dont race a Corr truck...and i race in Across canada and into Minnesota in the MN series.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

So Pete, Is that .28 working good? That motor seems familiar.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Miniracer23
So Pete, Is that .28 working good? That motor seems familiar.
Yup,Did a little dremel work to it.It's a beast.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If I can add my $.02 here with what I have found. I am not an SC8 expert by far, but I have been racing the crap out of mine. There are a couple of points that seem to be on the table I would like to address. These are only my opinions so take them for what you paid for them.

Tires: I feel a realistic scale tire is the key to the CORR trucks. I wouldn't race my truck if any type of buggy tire was allowed in a SC class. Many of you are talking about the Moab tires, which look to be a good tread and realistic look however, I don't feel they are the best; although full disclosure, I have not personally run Moab tires. Pro-Line Switch tires kick ass on these trucks. They have the exact look you need, they fit the SC8 wheels and they are the perfect combination of traction and drifting. I'm not saying they are the best out there but I couldn't be happier with the way my truck performs.

Engines: I'm not going to touch on the point of what is a better performer a .28 or a .21 but I will throw this point out for consideration-again taken from my experience. These trucks will fly with a 21 in them no doubt, but that is not what some (or most?) of us are after. After all, these are Short Course trucks meaning that the tracks they are designed to run on are not necessarily going to provide long straightaways with chances to open up a 21. Now if you're racing on an 1/8 scale track, it may be a different story. Although I don't race consistently on an 1/8 scale track, I have goofed around on one and still feel the truck can hold it's own. The track I race on is a converted 10th scale which really makes the "short course" aspect of the truck shine. Torque is the key here with quick acceleration being-I believe-a higher priority than top end speed. My times slowed by taking out the stock 28 motor and putting in a 21. I put the 28 back in. I think this was due to the 21 not being able to build the torque as quickly along with not being able to take advantage of the 21's high RPM's. Remember that the tires are a limiting factor and no matter whether you have a bad-ass OS Worlds, or some cheap $99 hobby motor, if you can't get power to the ground, it's useless.

Personally, my next motor upgrade will either be a 28 or even a 30. I am even considering a cheap Traxxas 3.3 for shits and giggles just to see what it would do. (there are a couple of Slayers around that absolutely fly). I will gear it for top end and let the stronger torque drive the higher gears around the track. This would be the best of both worlds in my opinion.

YMMV
Old 08-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Tires is where we hit the biggest hiccup. I contacted Proline, Panther, VP, and everyone else I could think of and didn't get anywhere. I approached it like this...

We need wheels and tires for our corr truck. I see in the future other companies doing the same. Here is the opportunity to get the ball rolling.

I think we need a 1/8 buggy inner and a 2.2 outer for the rim and make a tire accordingly. Not everyone will want to do 14mm hubs and it would be easy to make a 14 to 17mm adapter for the sc8 guys. Then you own the class tire and wheel, your name is on it, and everyone will want it. We will order as many as we sell kits and then some.

Whoever decides to do this will be the leader. I refuse to do anything and just stick 1/8 scale wheels and tires on it. I think that would just confuse the market.

.........As Caster Racing is patiently waiting for the next move...............

I want to see a standardized format so we can continue with our project also.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

My guess based on pure speculation is that Pro-Line is waiting to see how the 1/8 SC pans out. Then, they will make a 17mm bead lock so we can use the switch tires and the bow ties currently available for the SC10.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

I have to agree with the 28s and ups. I want the torque of a 28 or 30. right now i have a LRP 28 truggy spec in my SC8 which i never broke in but thinking of putting that LRP ZR 30 X in it. I've always love the trophy trucks watched them on tv so i just had to get one. If you want those crazy rpms stay with the buggies and truggies. But i feel the sc8 should run with 28's or better imo.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

Yup, go with the .28 and up.Everyone that has one of these trucks seems to agree.Truggy chassis,buggy arms ,.28 or bigger,front bumper...I have mixed feelings on the tires.The SC8 wheel and tire are cool but too damned expensive.We need a 17mm short course specific wheel and tire.I use the Moab and frankly on our local track they probably are at a dissadvantage to the sc8 stock tires.The SC8 tire grips the bluegroove much better than the Moab.They even chirp going into turn one.The Moab is slightly better in loose stuff.Only slightly.Overall laptimes are pretty close though. You just adjust your driving style and try to maintain momentum.When there is more of a selection I will use a class specific tire.Until then I'll run the Moab.Glad to see all the interest in this class.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pete 26
Yup, go with the .28 and up.Everyone that has one of these trucks seems to agree.Truggy chassis,buggy arms ,.28 or bigger,front bumper...I have mixed feelings on the tires.The SC8 wheel and tire are cool but too damned expensive.We need a 17mm short course specific wheel and tire.I use the Moab and frankly on our local track they probably are at a dissadvantage to the sc8 stock tires.The SC8 tire grips the bluegroove much better than the Moab.They even chirp going into turn one.The Moab is slightly better in loose stuff.Only slightly.Overall laptimes are pretty close though. You just adjust your driving style and try to maintain momentum.When there is more of a selection I will use a class specific tire.Until then I'll run the Moab.Glad to see all the interest in this class.
Hey Pete... To be honest man, I'm not sold on not using performance buggy tires just yet. But it depends on the situation. At my local track, if somebody shows up with a shortcourse conversion, they will most likely be run with the truggies. Since this is the case for here, I'd more than likely run whatever the buggies are running. Even dialed in for traction, these trucks look cool as hell!

A class of their own, or an organized race is/would a completely different story and a control tire or controlled selection should be the way to go. This is where you are right for calling out the need for a specific tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.