R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #61
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
was the cen matrix sc truck a flop, did it ever hit the market?
.yes a flop...because it isFUGLY
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #62
Tech Regular

Quote:
what can't it be like trans am cars? You take one car of car and start a whole new class, with out having to buy a new r/c. Could you not take a basic 1/8 buggy chassis, nitro or electric, run a sc tire, and a body, and you have a new class with out spending tons of money, is a trasn am car no more then a basic touring chassis with a spec tire and a cool body, besides the electronics rule?
Why go to all that trouble.Just put a sticker on it that says "shortcourse".......It's easy enough to buy a truggy chassis and do this conversion.If your too lazy to do that then go buy an SC8.....This class is based on a truggy chassis,buggy arms,a front bumper and shortcourse or desert specific tires......I bit the bullet and bought some SC8 tires.I have mixxed feelings about there nessecity over the Moabs.The only real difference being the wheel diameter on the sc8 wheels having two different bead sizes.The reason I got the sc8 tires is that they are better on our local blue groove track.The Moabs grip slightly better in the soft stuff though.I don't really consider the Moab a buggy tire since the tread pattern is so scale looking for a desert tire.I know allot of people dissagree so I got the sc8 wheel to race with.I wish Proline would make a Moab to fit the SC8 style wheel.I think more sidewall would make that tire grip much better....Bottum line is we need more choices when it comes to SC tires.....Keep posting them pics guys.Let's see some more shortcourse trucks.
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #63
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm not sure why it seems everyone is ignoring the Switch Tire from Proline. It is outstanding and works extremely well on the SC8.

I am in agreement with the above poster though. I don't think a truck bodied buggy would work as well as truck built off of a truggy chassis.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #64
Tech Regular

Mike,What wheel are you using to get the Switches to work on your truck?I wasn't aware that the switches would fit any 17mm hexxed wheels.I agree with you.Thats about the best looking tire available.I haven't ran them but they look very realistic.Hows about posting some pics of these on your truck.I would buy a set if they would fit a 17mm rim.How's the traction and do they come in different compounds like soft,med and hard? Is the outer diameter the same?Pics please.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #65
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
.yes a flop...because it isFUGLY
You have a pic never seen it
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #66
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete 26 View Post
Mike,What wheel are you using to get the Switches to work on your truck?I wasn't aware that the switches would fit any 17mm hexxed wheels.I agree with you.Thats about the best looking tire available.I haven't ran them but they look very realistic.Hows about posting some pics of these on your truck.I would buy a set if they would fit a 17mm rim.How's the traction and do they come in different compounds like soft,med and hard? Is the outer diameter the same?Pics please.
Tires stock SC8 tires on the right. Switch tire on SC8 wheels on the left. The switch tires are slightly shorter than the stock SC8 tire
Attached Thumbnails
1/8th SCALE SHORTCOURSE CHASSIS DEBATE-sc8-tires-001.jpg   1/8th SCALE SHORTCOURSE CHASSIS DEBATE-sc8-tires-002.jpg  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #67
Tech Fanatic

My SC8 now has big bore shocks, buggy steering mod to get rid of the bump steer, gave it more front kick up for the rough track I run on.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to R/C Lidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
You have a pic never seen it
http://rcspecial.com/news/wp-content...ore0602091.jpg
FTGT/ MT12
BLitZ/ Castle SCT
R/C Lidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #69
Tech Regular

I used the truggy front shock tower and put spacers between the tie rods and hub carriers to get the same effect.Less bump steer and more suspension travel.She's dialed.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #70
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C Lidz View Post
There is a picture of it in the RC Car Action Desert and Offroad special on page 15. Looks like they put a SC10 body on a Matrix buggy along with some SC8 tires and wheels.They have a drawing of a SC specific wheel and tire on there also but I don't know if it ever made it to production...My friend made a SC truck out of a Matrix truggy with buggy arms and it is dialed.The truggy chassis is a must for this class.The buggy center diff needs to be used in order to have proper gearing.In order to do that you have to move the motor over farther than the mounting holes allow.So you must drill or cut on the chassis a little.All of the truggies that have huge spur gears require this mod.The ones that come with smaller spur gears don't.My truck is a Caster chassis and arms with a Mugen center diff and lots of durability enhancing mods.The engine I use is a modded Picco "Draked" .28 with an S&H top end pipe.A fire breathing, SC8 eating,trophy collecting machine.....This class is the funnest.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #71
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C Lidz View Post
You right it's fugly
Old 08-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
what can't it be like trans am cars? You take one car of car and start a whole new class, with out having to buy a new r/c. Could you not take a basic 1/8 buggy chassis, nitro or electric, run a sc tire, and a body, and you have a new class with out spending tons of money, is a trasn am car no more then a basic touring chassis with a spec tire and a cool body, besides the electronics rule?
Noooo, as the others have said - you have a buggy with a SC body and tires.... I'm not sure why the concept is so hard to grasp - and it can be a bit on the spendy side UNLESS you can find a used truggy of the same brand as your buggy to donate the center CVDs and the chassis......

Quote:
was the cen matrix sc truck a flop, did it ever hit the market?
I honestly don't think that it has made it to production yet - I'm sure they're trying to measure the size of the market before plunging in.... BUT, I do see this class - IF properly configured to match the existing SC8 dimensions and tires - to be a golden opportunity for one of the smaller manufacturers to get product out and possibly develope a following for their brand..... Let's face it - right now there is only one Short Course truck that you can BUY - the Associated. And, it[s a pretty darned expensive RTR. BUT, if - let's say for the purposes of discussion - Caster were to bring a high quality SC to market - it would provide an alternative and as I said - possibly help them to become more viable in other areas as fall out from a SC success...... AND, I don't honestly think that it would have to be a RTR either - from the sound of folks here - they've purchased the SC8 as an additional vehicle.....
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #73
Tech Regular

I think your right Chris.I don't think the Cen is available yet.I'm racing with some of the Cen Factory guys this weekend and I will ask them.......The truggy chassis and buggy arms are what makes these things unique.This is what differentiates us from the other classes.The fact that A/E and CEN are using a .28 powerplant is another step in the right direction to keep this class seperate from the rest.There are some very high quality .28s and even bigger engines available.You don't have to go with a cheap sport engine......