R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #46
Tech Regular

We're lucky that we have a class for these here.If I had to run with the truggies I woud run a buggy tire for sure.We start a new nitro series soon at Outacontrol Raceway and I expect 15 or 20 of these trucks for those races.Florida has a huge rc scene.The magazines don't cover any races here though.So you never hear about it.Lots of fast guys here.
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

The Proline bow-tie and switch Gen II tires will fit the SC8 wheels. Just they are slightly smaller in dia
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete 26 View Post
Yup, go with the .28 and up.Everyone that has one of these trucks seems to agree.Truggy chassis,buggy arms ,.28 or bigger,front bumper...I have mixed feelings on the tires.The SC8 wheel and tire are cool but too damned expensive.We need a 17mm short course specific wheel and tire.I use the Moab and frankly on our local track they probably are at a dissadvantage to the sc8 stock tires.The SC8 tire grips the bluegroove much better than the Moab.They even chirp going into turn one.The Moab is slightly better in loose stuff.Only slightly.Overall laptimes are pretty close though. You just adjust your driving style and try to maintain momentum.When there is more of a selection I will use a class specific tire.Until then I'll run the Moab.Glad to see all the interest in this class.
And if that's what works for you folks, then that's what you should do!

I'm not sure of the 'expense' of the Associated wheels and tires - just scanned through A Main and it looks like $57.00 for Associated wheels/tires/foams separatly - $59.99 assembled! As I recall, about the same price as a set of mounted buggy tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMike View Post
My guess based on pure speculation is that Pro-Line is waiting to see how the 1/8 SC pans out. Then, they will make a 17mm bead lock so we can use the switch tires and the bow ties currently available for the SC10.
I've not had a particularly happy experience over the years with bead lock wheels - then tend to 'blow' off of the rims! Possibly I don't mount them right but I even had one come loose on a Slash - and for darned sure I didn't 'blow' them off with brute horsepower on that! Like my boss says - 'be careful what you wish for'.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
Tires is where we hit the biggest hiccup. I contacted Proline, Panther, VP, and everyone else I could think of and didn't get anywhere. I approached it like this...

We need wheels and tires for our corr truck. I see in the future other companies doing the same. Here is the opportunity to get the ball rolling.

I think we need a 1/8 buggy inner and a 2.2 outer for the rim and make a tire accordingly. Not everyone will want to do 14mm hubs and it would be easy to make a 14 to 17mm adapter for the sc8 guys. Then you own the class tire and wheel, your name is on it, and everyone will want it. We will order as many as we sell kits and then some.

Whoever decides to do this will be the leader. I refuse to do anything and just stick 1/8 scale wheels and tires on it. I think that would just confuse the market.

.........As Caster Racing is patiently waiting for the next move...............

I want to see a standardized format so we can continue with our project also.
Mike - not sure where the 14mm hubs come in - is that what you have on your proposed SC truck??? I presume that Associated won"t work an OEM deal to 'help' you guys out until someone brings something to the aftermarket???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMike View Post
If I can add my $.02 here with what I have found. I am not an SC8 expert by far, but I have been racing the crap out of mine. There are a couple of points that seem to be on the table I would like to address. These are only my opinions so take them for what you paid for them.

Tires: I feel a realistic scale tire is the key to the CORR trucks. I wouldn't race my truck if any type of buggy tire was allowed in a SC class. Many of you are talking about the Moab tires, which look to be a good tread and realistic look however, I don't feel they are the best; although full disclosure, I have not personally run Moab tires. Pro-Line Switch tires kick ass on these trucks. They have the exact look you need, they fit the SC8 wheels and they are the perfect combination of traction and drifting. I'm not saying they are the best out there but I couldn't be happier with the way my truck performs.

Engines: I'm not going to touch on the point of what is a better performer a .28 or a .21 but I will throw this point out for consideration-again taken from my experience. These trucks will fly with a 21 in them no doubt, but that is not what some (or most?) of us are after. After all, these are Short Course trucks meaning that the tracks they are designed to run on are not necessarily going to provide long straightaways with chances to open up a 21. Now if you're racing on an 1/8 scale track, it may be a different story. Although I don't race consistently on an 1/8 scale track, I have goofed around on one and still feel the truck can hold it's own. The track I race on is a converted 10th scale which really makes the "short course" aspect of the truck shine. Torque is the key here with quick acceleration being-I believe-a higher priority than top end speed. My times slowed by taking out the stock 28 motor and putting in a 21. I put the 28 back in. I think this was due to the 21 not being able to build the torque as quickly along with not being able to take advantage of the 21's high RPM's. Remember that the tires are a limiting factor and no matter whether you have a bad-ass OS Worlds, or some cheap $99 hobby motor, if you can't get power to the ground, it's useless.

Personally, my next motor upgrade will either be a 28 or even a 30. I am even considering a cheap Traxxas 3.3 for shits and giggles just to see what it would do. (there are a couple of Slayers around that absolutely fly). I will gear it for top end and let the stronger torque drive the higher gears around the track. This would be the best of both worlds in my opinion.

YMMV
Interesting to say the least! I've not traditionally had a lot of good things to say about the long term usage of 'sport' large displacement engines - they have generally performed well in vehicles that I have tested for RC Driver but don't seem to last all that long when placed into week to week racing service. Some are hard to tune after they get some time on them, others remain easy. BUT, I'm interested in your theory that they make the truck easier to 'toss around' like we tend to do with the SC trucks. I'm planning on using the Dynamite Platinum .21 in my yet to be built SC8 - I'm using an Axial .28 in the BR50 right now and it's certainly 'tossable'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
The Proline bow-tie and switch Gen II tires will fit the SC8 wheels. Just they are slightly smaller in dia
The Switch is a Panther tire I believe - so I'm curious as to which one fits the Associated wheels since to the best of my knowledge they don't make a 'Gen 2' tire. The buggy BowTie is an excellent tire for a lot of tracks and if it will fit the Associated rims it would certainly work well. I've got a WORLD of buggy tires not being used in my basement - need to order a set of Associated rims and see what works AND looks good. I'm personally NOT opposed to using different tires on ASSOCIATED SC wheels if that's what it takes on a local level to help the class grow. BUT, for 'big' races or Nationals, I believe that the Associated wheel and tire should be used as a 'control' tire to keep expenses down - similar to what ROAR has done with some of their electric classes at the Nationals.

I enjoy this discussion and sincerely hope that at some point the ROAR Off Road Fuel Committee (of which I'm a member) will be asked to draft a set of SC rules for ROAR - and therefore pave the way toward this becoming a class that has a ROAR (not to take away from the race recently put on by RC Driver) 1/8th scale SC Nationals.
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #49
Tech Fanatic

I know what I bought they are not Panther tires they are Proline. But heres the link
http://www.prolineracing.com/p-641-s...t-or-rear.aspx

Yes I've also put them together but I also know 2 others who are running them long before I got my SC8
Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Quote:
I know what I bought they are not Panther tires they are Proline. But heres the link
http://www.prolineracing.com/p-641-s...t-or-rear.aspx

Yes I've also put them together but I also know 2 others who are running them long before I got my SC8
Easy there big guy - no offense intended!

AND, I appreciate you educating me!

Seems to me that we're just trying to help each other out here and I appreciate you sharing your experience!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Hey Chris K,

I was under the impression that the sc8 had 14mm hubs, not 17mm hubs. If I am wrong, then case closed and we can proceed, otherwise, someone would have to do some form of conversion for the regular 1/8 scales to run their wheels.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #52
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
Easy there big guy - no offense intended!

AND, I appreciate you educating me!

Seems to me that we're just trying to help each other out here and I appreciate you sharing your experience!
I not mad at all just one of those days I had at work.

SC8 are 17mm hubs so we can put buggy wheels and tires on. I bet soon others will make tires that are the same "size" tire as the SC8 are.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Quote:
I not mad at all just one of those days I had at work.

SC8 are 17mm hubs so we can put buggy wheels and tires on. I bet soon others will make tires that are the same "size" tire as the SC8 are.
Sorry 'bout the crummy day at work!!!!!

Our oval racing got rained out today so I'm back home workin' on 'stuff'....

I'd really like to see ProLine get into the 1/8thSC tire deal BUT I'm NOT sure the numbers are there.....We know that they're out and being purchased BUTexact demographic/sales numbers in this hobby/sport are pretty much impossible to obtain - VERY guarded! PLUS, it's a bit hard to get numbers when a LOT of the trucks are 'Frankensteins' like the several I've built - no way to track those numbers. BUT, I bet Associated has woke up to the numbers of cages and bodies that they're selling that never see an Associated vehicle!

I get to start on my RC8B/SC8 conversion as soon as I finish an IGT for a friend of mine - then it's OFF and buildin'!!!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #54
Tech Fanatic

I've had mine SC8 for 2 weeks haven't got to run it yet. Nice and sunny all week then bam pours on the weekend. I was wanting to fun today with the RC8B and SC8. I really think the electric guys hexed us for the weekend rain

I'm doing the rain dance to rain in the middle of the week rain there day out
Old 08-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #55
Tech Regular

Maybe Proline will step up or Parma.I asked the J Concepts guys about 4 months ago and they said they had nothing planned for 1/8 SC trucks.I'll see them tommorrow and ask them again.They may have changed there minds with the success of there 1/10 scale SC stuff....
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #56

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

and whats wrong with putting a truck body on a buggy? Just a why to have something almost new, for just a few bucks.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #57
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't think there is anything wrong with putting a truck body on a buggy. There is a guy at my local track that does the same thing. However, if you're going to run a buggy with buggy tires, throw a truck body on it and call it a SC truck, then all you are going to do is create confusion and a hassle. The "true" SC trucks such as the SC8, the CEN, Etc, need to have certain aspects and traits that separate them from a truck-bodied buggy; tires being first and foremost, with others such as a truggy-length chassis another.

To me, allowing SC truck to run buggy tires completely eliminates the SC aspect. All you have left is a buggy with a truck body. So why not just race in the buggy class?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #58
Tech Fanatic

Associated seem to set the bar for 1/8 short course.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #59

what can't it be like trans am cars? You take one car of car and start a whole new class, with out having to buy a new r/c. Could you not take a basic 1/8 buggy chassis, nitro or electric, run a sc tire, and a body, and you have a new class with out spending tons of money, is a trasn am car no more then a basic touring chassis with a spec tire and a cool body, besides the electronics rule?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #60

was the cen matrix sc truck a flop, did it ever hit the market?