Wiki Posts
Search

flywheel keeps getting stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 AM
yep
Tech Rookie

Default flywheel keeps getting stuck

So, I just bought a hyper 8.5 and as soon I unstuck the flywheel, I can get the pullstart cord off for about 1cm. Then it stucks again. I know they are famous for being very tight at the beginning, but is there any trick that can save me a trip to the store?
thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Is this a new motor? If so you may need to heat it up with a heat gun or hair dryer if you dont have aheat gun. This will help you get it started and start the break in. If its not a new motor then there is some other issues. You'll need to take apart the pull start and see what is binding.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

There is a couple things you can do until the pull start cord breaks. If you dont have a heat gun a hair drier can help.You want to heat the block where the cly is to expand it as the hotter it gets the less it will pinch the piston when its at the top of the stroke. Next is the first time you start it for the day take the pressure line off the pipe & blow in it till you see fuel enter the carb to prime the lines & put some lube in the motor,not too much just for 1-2 seconds after you see the fuel in the line hit the carb.too much & you'll flood the eng with fuel & you'll have to take the glow plug out turn the car upside down & spin the motor to get the excess out. You can also loosen the glow plug just a bit to help reduce the compression until it starts,its not a huge help as there will still be the tight piston to deal with till its broken in but some times is just the thing needed. I would recomend all 3 at once till the motor stops sticking so often. Its always a good idea to prime your lines when starting the motor for the first time on that day for the entire life of the eng.Putting your finger on the pipe outlet will also help prime the motor faster but is also easier to flood the motor that way just because its harder to see whats going on with the fuel when your yanking on the cord. One last thing is probably in your instructions somewhere but when you pull the starter cord dont pull with your arm. Pull by flexing your wrist only that should result in the rope ony coming out 4-5" max any more & the cord & or spring will break very soon.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 AM
yep
Tech Rookie

alright guyz, tyvm. will try that asap
Old 08-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by butch man
There is a couple things you can do until the pull start cord breaks. If you dont have a heat gun a hair drier can help.You want to heat the block where the cly is to expand it as the hotter it gets the less it will pinch the piston when its at the top of the stroke. Next is the first time you start it for the day take the pressure line off the pipe & blow in it till you see fuel enter the carb to prime the lines & put some lube in the motor,not too much just for 1-2 seconds after you see the fuel in the line hit the carb.too much & you'll flood the eng with fuel & you'll have to take the glow plug out turn the car upside down & spin the motor to get the excess out. You can also loosen the glow plug just a bit to help reduce the compression until it starts,its not a huge help as there will still be the tight piston to deal with till its broken in but some times is just the thing needed. I would recomend all 3 at once till the motor stops sticking so often. Its always a good idea to prime your lines when starting the motor for the first time on that day for the entire life of the eng.Putting your finger on the pipe outlet will also help prime the motor faster but is also easier to flood the motor that way just because its harder to see whats going on with the fuel when your yanking on the cord. One last thing is probably in your instructions somewhere but when you pull the starter cord dont pull with your arm. Pull by flexing your wrist only that should result in the rope ony coming out 4-5" max any more & the cord & or spring will break very soon.
+1 on that
or go get yourself a starter box and back plate for the engine, that will eliminate that pull start system!!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:57 PM
yep
Tech Rookie

its fully working now (tks every1), tho, while I was driving it, one of the wheels got out, after trying to "climb" a couple of little stairs, i dunno why. When i left the store after buying the car, I checked all the screws and they were fairly tight. Is it anything to worry?