Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
between MXB6 and xray 808, which is better. >

between MXB6 and xray 808, which is better.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

between MXB6 and xray 808, which is better.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Default between MXB6 and xray 808, which is better.

i see MBX6 design servo is standing, and 808 servo is lying down. which is driving better and which is less harmful than for servo.
I see alot of cars have lying servo, despite Hyper7 TQ and Mugen MBX6.
Who has used them before,would you give some idea?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

how tight you set your servo saver and how much sh!t you run into is going to dictate how long your servo lasts. Laying down or standing won't affect the actual servo, possibly the COG of the car to a small degree?

as far as which is better, browse a bit and you'll find much debate already
Old 08-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

They are both top kits no-1 is better personel preference comes into play.

As for the servos bare in mind mugen mbx5,mbx5 prospec and mbx5r all ran laydown servo and now the use standup, so this would give me the idea its for the best as why go backwards. It has also allowed the chasis to be narowed saving weight.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think servo standing is a better set-up. The servo seems to last longer and the steering balance is more equal. In my experience anyway and Ive had more than a few buggies.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It is easier/quicker to change out a stand up servo too.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
I think servo standing is a better set-up. The servo seems to last longer and the steering balance is more equal. In my experience anyway and Ive had more than a few buggies.
I agree that the steering characteristics (balance) seem to be better on a stand up style servo. As far as longevity I can't say for sure, but I can't imagine it changes very much if any for making it last longer..

To OP.. You won't go wrong with either buggy. Get the one that you like, and fits your driving style the best. You won't be dissappointed with either.. Be aware if you chose the MBX6 you need to check the front shock tower for hair line cracks if the Carbon. I knowof two buggies with that problem at my local track.. Both in the same place.. So it may be a defect in the forming process..
Old 08-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty!
Be aware if you chose the MBX6 you need to check the front shock tower for hair line cracks if the Carbon. I knowof two buggies with that problem at my local track.. Both in the same place.. So it may be a defect in the forming process..

This shock tower is discontinued, there is a newer stonger one now. Anyway, you had to crash the car really hard upsidedown to even crack the old one and even then it would not effect you finishing. I cracked one last fall on a practice day early in the morning & ran it that way all day with no issues. Still 10 times better than trying to straighten a bent aluminium one.

To the OP, these are the 2 best cars on the market imho & you can't go wrong with either. Get the one your LHS stocks parts for & you'll be happy.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I have had both of these buggies. I just got the 808. The mbx6 is awesome, I have nothing bad to say about it. I havent had the xray on the track yet, but I think it is a little easier to work on
Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

For the servo lay down or stand up it has to do with chassis space & COG but what affects the end user more is the standup servo arm moves in the same arc as the servo saver arm 1mm of movement on the servo arm = 1mm of movement on the servo saver arm.With lay down servos its about the same near center but at the end of the stroke the servo arm move up & down more then it move forward or backwards so at the end of the stroke the 3mm in servo arm movement = only 1mm of servo saver arm movement. Most people cant tell the difference when driving but the lay down servo design sees less torque at the servo arm if you hit something with the wheels at full lock(like a track wall or pipe) so the servo will sustain less damage over time & last longer. The argument here is the 2 most poppular servos I see are so over kill that you can pretty much over tightern the servo saver almost to lockout & still have servos last years(longer than your car).The other argument is you shouldent be hitting things that hard. Lay down servos also dont get hit much in a tumble.I have seen stand up servos that after a crash have the body damaged where it hit servo arm,like a servo arm shaped bump in the body & sometimes the screw on the end of the servo arm punched through the body.