R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10
Default Advantage of .10 over .15 servo speeds

What are some of the differences to expect from a servo with these speeds. I am looking at purchasing some servos for a 777 sp2 buggy.
ikevanbrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
imaxx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21
Default

you wont notice, most of those numbers arent exactly right anyway
__________________
-Crash
Upgrade RC www.upgrade-rc.com
imaxx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
porkchop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: o-h-i-o
Posts: 2,830
Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop
Default

i dont feel it really but the best servos i found have been
KO Propo PDS-2368
it smooth and just the right speed
__________________
charles garten
serpent / novarossi / Desoto Racing / Absolute Hobbyz / ko propo / first turn racing usa / KustomRcGraphics / O'donnell racing fuel / Houstons Engine Service / sweep racing tires
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,785
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaxx21 View Post
you wont notice, most of those numbers arent exactly right anyway
In this case you may be right but put a .2 or slower servo on the throttle and see what happens. I hate going full throttle down a straight, slamming on the brakes for that hairpin turn and the thing keeps going for a good six feet or more. I find as long as they are .12 or quicker, I don't notice any lag. Slower than that I definitely do.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
jrwoodchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northampton, Massachusettes
Posts: 1,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
In this case you may be right but put a .2 or slower servo on the throttle and see what happens. I hate going full throttle down a straight, slamming on the brakes for that hairpin turn and the thing keeps going for a good six feet or more. I find as long as they are .12 or quicker, I don't notice any lag. Slower than that I definitely do.
+1
so true...
__________________
Doug
TLR 22/M-11

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

I find that .12 or faster is necessary for my liking on the throttle servo. As for the steering servo I end up bumping up the expo anyway to smooth out and slow the initial servo travel down so .15 is plenty fast enough.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
TomTomTuning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Camp Hill, Pa
Posts: 689
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Sweet thread, i was curious my self. I'm looking for a steering servo for my new RC8E and was not sure if i should go for a .10 or .15
TomTomTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
imaxx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
In this case you may be right but put a .2 or slower servo on the throttle and see what happens. I hate going full throttle down a straight, slamming on the brakes for that hairpin turn and the thing keeps going for a good six feet or more. I find as long as they are .12 or quicker, I don't notice any lag. Slower than that I definitely do.
that sounds more like a torque issue
__________________
-Crash
Upgrade RC www.upgrade-rc.com
imaxx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,785
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

No it's not a torque issue. It's a slow issue. Put a servo that slow in the car and watch how long it takes to go from full throttle to full brake. It is not instant and at 40 mph or more that delay can be several feet. The first nitro rc I ever raced was a friends RC10GT (back when they first came out) with a .23 throttle servo. When you hit the brakes it took several feet for the rpm to come down and the brakes to start working. Put in a faster servo and problem solved. If you don't believe me, find an old slow ass servo and try it out. Bet you will replace it before you finish the tank

Of course, electric racers will find this more noticeable since they are used to instant brakes from ESC's. People who have raced nitro right from the start get used to it and don't even notice it.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Tech Regular
 
fukitol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikevanbrauer View Post
What are some of the differences to expect from a servo with these speeds. I am looking at purchasing some servos for a 777 sp2 buggy.
about .05 seconds i was pretty good at math
fukitol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
imaxx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
No it's not a torque issue. It's a slow issue. Put a servo that slow in the car and watch how long it takes to go from full throttle to full brake. It is not instant and at 40 mph or more that delay can be several feet. The first nitro rc I ever raced was a friends RC10GT (back when they first came out) with a .23 throttle servo. When you hit the brakes it took several feet for the rpm to come down and the brakes to start working. Put in a faster servo and problem solved. If you don't believe me, find an old slow ass servo and try it out. Bet you will replace it before you finish the tank

Of course, electric racers will find this more noticeable since they are used to instant brakes from ESC's. People who have raced nitro right from the start get used to it and don't even notice it.
yeah i can see that...

but i doubt anyone could tell the difference between a .15 and a .10
__________________
-Crash
Upgrade RC www.upgrade-rc.com
imaxx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,785
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

That's why I said in my original post that in this case you were probably right. Though I bet you a pro electric racer might notice
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
Tech Master
 
beta bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,101
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

What about .06 from the jr9100s i swear the thing steers before i turn the wheel
__________________
Team Terribles---------2009 post of the year
"Cant you read Mopar???He said that he drives a T-max 2.5!!!!"
Spec classes are for communist
beta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
jrwoodchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northampton, Massachusettes
Posts: 1,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta bob View Post
What about .06 from the jr9100s i swear the thing steers before i turn the wheel
i use 9100s for both throttle/steering and wouldn't think of using anything else.
__________________
Doug
TLR 22/M-11

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #15
Tech Master
 
beta bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,101
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
i use 9100s for both throttle/steering and wouldn't think of using anything else.
Yea especially who can not want a servo with a three year warranty???
__________________
Team Terribles---------2009 post of the year
"Cant you read Mopar???He said that he drives a T-max 2.5!!!!"
Spec classes are for communist
beta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:09 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net