R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Which regulator is the best for 2c lipo.

I have had a problem with I believe my regulator or receiver at the last 3 races this summer. I live on the coast where it is cool and have a track in the back of my property I practice on and never have an electrical problem. I have been racing a few hours from home where it has been in the mid 90's. During quals (usualy 6 min. I have no problems, but during the mains 30min. + at about 12 to 15 min. My transmitter looses contact with the receiver. I have tried muchmore reg., HT batteries reg., and the pro tek regulator all have failed when I get in the heat of the day 90 deg+. I run the futaba fasst sys. with the PRO TEK 2000MAH Lipo batteries. If I pull the regulator and lipo battery out of the receiver box and run my old Ballistic 2700mah NIMH batteries all is good. Not sure if it is my regulator or my receiver that is shutting down from the heat. I have tried verifying the output voltage from the regulator to the receiver with a fluke voltage meter and it comes out of the pro tek at 6.15 volts, but this is usually 20-30 min. after running. Any help would be great.

Actually had my first runaway ever about a 1 1/2 weeks ago because of this.

Thanks for any help
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

have you tried putting the regulator outside of the box?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What servos are you using. Honestly, i had the same issue. I no longer use a regulator. Problem solved
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #4
Tech Elite

no regulators are any good fullstop as lipo voltage is actually 8.4v fully charged nominal voltage is 7.4volt so they burn .

anyway id go the new lifep04 battery eliminates the regulator and will also not burn your receiver or servos .

my two cents worth.
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Default regulator

I have not tried mounting the reg on the outside of box. Have always worried about damaging them or falling off. Not running a reg. to my receiver and 2 $120 jr servo's worries me. I am not familiar with the new battery Life po4. Can they be had at Amain Hobbies?
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

they have to be in the open air to dissipate heat
Old 08-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristyn View Post
I have had a problem with I believe my regulator or receiver at the last 3 races this summer. I live on the coast where it is cool and have a track in the back of my property I practice on and never have an electrical problem. I have been racing a few hours from home where it has been in the mid 90's. During quals (usualy 6 min. I have no problems, but during the mains 30min. + at about 12 to 15 min. My transmitter looses contact with the receiver. I have tried muchmore reg., HT batteries reg., and the pro tek regulator all have failed when I get in the heat of the day 90 deg+. I run the futaba fasst sys. with the PRO TEK 2000MAH Lipo batteries. If I pull the regulator and lipo battery out of the receiver box and run my old Ballistic 2700mah NIMH batteries all is good. Not sure if it is my regulator or my receiver that is shutting down from the heat. I have tried verifying the output voltage from the regulator to the receiver with a fluke voltage meter and it comes out of the pro tek at 6.15 volts, but this is usually 20-30 min. after running. Any help would be great.

Actually had my first runaway ever about a 1 1/2 weeks ago because of this.

Thanks for any help
try what i did im using a 2s lipo but instead of using a regulatur go to radio shack and get a 6 amp rectifier diod. wire it in line with grey strip going to the positive on the battery. this will drop the 8.4 v to 7.4 v witch is what a fully charged 2/3a pack is.
brushlessmgt8.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaxx21 View Post
have you tried putting the regulator outside of the box?
x2, wouldnt hurt to try outside...here in the old northwest using the losi regulator for about a year now and never had one issue. are you running a switch or not? i went switchless recently and appreciate all that has done, both including space and convenience before and after racing as well as tidy reciever box
Old 08-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

mount it on the outside of rx box or put some vent holes in the box.