Community
Wiki Posts
Search

electric vs. nitro

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default electric vs. nitro

ok now im new to the scene. but i would like to do a little survey. what do you drive electric or nitro. and why do you drive it. what made you choose what you drive. thats really it for my survey im just wondering why people like what they like. this thread will be in both electric off road and nitro off road. i hope to have some good post of the advantages and disadvantages of both electric and nitro. but no arguing about whats better because this is a opinion or prefrence.

Last edited by juggalo6106; 09-27-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by juggalo6106
ok now im new to the scene. but i would like to do a little survey. what do you drive electric or nitro. and why do you grive it. what made you choose what you drive. thats really it for my survey im just wondering why people like what they like. this thread will be in both electric off road and nitro off road. i hope to have some good post of the advantages and disadvantages of both electric and nitro. but no arguing about whats better because this is a opinion or prefrence.
Like a lot of RC hobbyists, I have both nitro and electric. Each has its pros and cons and they've been discussed so many times that a simple search of this forum, any other forum, and the internet will give you thousands of results!

If you're looking to buy your first RC vehicle I'd advise you to buy an electric RTR vehicle.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

i already have a rc but just wanted to get some opinions and see whats more popular
Old 09-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Run what the biggest class is at your local track. You don't want to run in some class that is running on fumes. Really depends on what is popular at the time. From what I see, majority of serious racers resist jumping between nitro and electric.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

once 1/8scale electric will have more people involved i will most likely stop racing nitro
Old 09-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

1/8th nitro from April to November. 10th scale electric in the winter months.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by inpuressa
Run what the biggest class is at your local track. You don't want to run in some class that is running on fumes. Really depends on what is popular at the time. From what I see, majority of serious racers resist jumping between nitro and electric.
well im trying to find wats better for me nitro or electric and here about other peoples experiences
Old 09-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

There is no better just different. Nitro can run forever till you run out of fuel in your bottle or compression in the eng but you need some one to fill & tune when your on the stand.Eng & fuel get to be a pain & expensive.

Electric needs no pitman but can only run for short races until a quick change batt tray comes out for consumption then you'll need a pit man again & electric components are very un reliable.Electric components get to be a pain & expensive.

Nitro wears out & must be kept tuned.
Electric just stops working at random times.

Back to my first sentence,if they could make electric components that work as long as a nitro motor electric would be better in so many ways,but like I said for now no better just different.

Try & have fun.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

if you want cheap speed, go nitro.

For racing I'll go with nitro. For bashing, EP is best!
Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by butch man
There is no better just different. Nitro can run forever till you run out of fuel in your bottle or compression in the eng but you need some one to fill & tune when your on the stand.Eng & fuel get to be a pain & expensive.

Electric needs no pitman but can only run for short races until a quick change batt tray comes out for consumption then you'll need a pit man again & electric components are very un reliable.Electric components get to be a pain & expensive.

Nitro wears out & must be kept tuned.
Electric just stops working at random times.

Back to my first sentence,if they could make electric components that work as long as a nitro motor electric would be better in so many ways,but like I said for now no better just different.

Try & have fun.
wow sounds very true i will remember this thank you
Old 09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ive raced both and prefer nitro because of the longer races and the run whatcha brung attitude of nitro races.

However with lipos and brushless motors electric racing is much more appealing than it used to be. I'd like to get an electric car again. I think it would be fun for the winter months racing indoors or possibly as a 2nd class to my 1/8th nitro buggy. Ideally I would like to have an electric 1/8th scale but Ive heard so many horror stories about equipment failures I think I will wait a little while before taking the plunge on one of those. The 1/10th scale stuff seems pretty bullet proof though. A Slash or one of those mini E-Revos could be in my future
Old 09-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

+1 Real races last lomger than 30 minutes. 15 min mains are just sprints.

I like the longer mains that nitro brings. Pit stops are fun. To survive a long main you can't drive like an idiot and expect to finish. Nothing better than passing all the fast momos tht wreck their cars and DNF.

Plus there is more strategy involved in long mains. Power, or fuel economy.

Nothing against E, but fuel engines are fun.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Prophet

go nitro man its not really that hard to learn ,the nitro engines that they have now are relible and run allday without flameouts and arent hard to tune and keep a tune im talking about like nova,rb,and actually dynamite engines keep a tune good also. and u get a 3 port for cheap and they have good power,i used to race 1/10 elec mod truck i just dont like the powerband and how touchy they are ,i havnt ran a 1/8 elec but i can image they are uncontrolble wicked fast to much for me. and the fact that i have seen about 3 speed controlers burn on fire at my track and with the lipos in them
no thank u .now yes 1/8 elec might get more pouplar in the future but there always gone to be nitro guys and nitro fuel. and when u have a butch of nitro 1/8 buggy/truggys running together is a rush and a crowd drawer thats for sure.and also nitro 1/8 is easier on tires and electric i know for sure isnt cause of the extra weight etc
Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

I had a real shocker today at the track with a electric buggy today. First, I have a 2.0 buggy with a Ninja in it, i'm also running a 14 tooth pinion instead of the standard 13 tooth pinion. I expected to be able to have about the same top speed as it but I figured I would get killed on acceleration....Odd thing happined though, I was better on acceleration and killed him in the staights. He was as shocked as me, now I don't know much about the electric 1/8th scale stuff. But he said he had the best out there now.

can't explane it!!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

I started out with gas , i had very good luck with nitro. Electric offers a better forgiveness level that nitro doesnt for beginners. I've seen many guys start out with nitro and had adsoutly had no clue what nitro is and how to operate one. Then they have very bad luck with them and give up on rc and blame their local hobby shop for it.

It's nitro for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.