Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
OS 28XZ and break in. >

OS 28XZ and break in.

OS 28XZ and break in.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default OS 28XZ and break in.

I have read the bible, am pre-heating the engine as much as I can with a hair dryer (seeing around 130 degrees with an infra red), but my damn starter box just wont turn the engine over once batteries start to drain even a little. Its a new OFNA box, new dual 1800mAh fully charged batteries. The batteries are draining quickly and I was wondering if there is a way to wire the starter box straight to my power supply. I can get the engine to spin at first and start to run, but when I think it is running and pull it off the box, it will die, and then box wont turn it over. Repeat hour worth of battery charging and heating engine.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Don't take your ignitor off so it'll stay running. You might have to lean it out some. The one I ran in would give a Ofna truggy box nightmares even after it was broken it.

You need to make sure your heating the block, not the head. Also before each start attempt turn the engine over backwards until it starts to tighten up on its way back to TDC. That way the box will have a few more degrees of crankl movement before the engine hits its pinch.

I've given up on running an engine with as much pinch as the mighty XZ in my car on a starter box. Too much work for the starter box and the engines con-rod.

I use a Hudy breakin bench. I just flip the prop by hand or use an air plane starter motor or a drill.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

I did leave the ignitor on, it "idled" on its own for abut 30 seconds with the starter box spinning it, but wont stay running once I lift it off starter wheel. I backed the mixture screw off a 1/4 turn and batteries are almost charged. I'm also spinning motor back like you said. Just gonna have to fight this starter box I guess. How do I know when to pull the glow starter off?

Last edited by Devilbrad; 08-01-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

My XZ was way too rich at the factory settings. it wouldn't stay running at all.

I got her up to 230 degrees once I finally got her running and kept her there. Just kept filling the tank because I knew I wasn't going to be able to start her again if I shut down.

Once I had a quart threw the engine we shut it down and then did the heatcycles after the engine "blueprinted" itsself.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I also found my 28XZ way too rich, I ran my in on a Hudy run in bench and kept the heat into the engine with a heat gun, I like to get 9'ish tanks through then pop it into the vehicle. As for starter boxes the Ofna twin 775 with a Lipo would bump start a F350......lol
Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Oh, my truggy box had the power. The belt would literally stretch and hop over the teeth on the gears!

I don't know what OS deos to there engines, but thats a too much pinch! And that was after 1/2 gallon of run in on the Hudy stand!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

man, I am a weekend (more like once a month) nitro guy and I've been trying to break in my picco .28 for 10 months now. Its in a revo, so I have to use the stupid special box, but so far I've gone through 3 belts, use a 12v car battery, and moved the wheel up for better contact.

I preheated it, it just gets stuck at tdc. Jesus christ that is some insane pinch.

Yes it is best to leave glow ignitor on because being as tight and as rich as it is, it will not want to stay running, and starting it again is a PITA.

I have many hours of cursing throughout this time with it. I probably have 1/2 gallon or a bit more through it, but still a PITA. I heat cycled mine but next chance I have I will just run another 3/4 gallon through it straight just loosening up the motor.

Good luck, the zx should be even more of a beast than the picco (i wish i got the OS).

can you convert to pull start? I'm going to convert mine to pull start because starter box is a pain
Old 08-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Its alive!! Just ran a tank through it following the break in bible. About to start next phase.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by spawn_x
man, I am a weekend (more like once a month) nitro guy and I've been trying to break in my picco .28 for 10 months now. Its in a revo, so I have to use the stupid special box, but so far I've gone through 3 belts, use a 12v car battery, and moved the wheel up for better contact.

I preheated it, it just gets stuck at tdc. Jesus christ that is some insane pinch.

Yes it is best to leave glow ignitor on because being as tight and as rich as it is, it will not want to stay running, and starting it again is a PITA.

I have many hours of cursing throughout this time with it. I probably have 1/2 gallon or a bit more through it, but still a PITA. I heat cycled mine but next chance I have I will just run another 3/4 gallon through it straight just loosening up the motor.

Good luck, the zx should be even more of a beast than the picco (i wish i got the OS).

can you convert to pull start? I'm going to convert mine to pull start because starter box is a pain

a Picco .28 in a Revo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!!1!!!

Thats enough power for two or three Revos!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:17 AM
Tech Addict

I knew a guy once, and he knew how to repair generators too,but his name was ZoroDefect and he was good,hell at one time he was famous, but then one day he left town with a traveling gypsy circus, he repaired so many generators he became one.Generating power and sparking and bringing power to people was his mission, but during his rise to stardom he forgot about his friends and all the pregnant women he left behind. Now he has children all over the place that are longing to play with r/c cars and drinking nitro fuel.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

He's been banished to Ohio! Apparently the south deosn't need electricity in this recession!

Buckeye's feeding my Rc habit now. Glen Beigh Rehab deosn't have a program for addictions to drinking purple flavored Trinity Monster or Cherry Sidewinder.

I still have my cape!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Tech Addict

I was worried you had hidden inside the case for a commercial generator and decided it was comfy.I am racing at the Worlds this year @ the Tom Brown Des
Nations. The Fleetwood was repoed I only missed 4 lousy payments. I am now racing for team Dulcolax.Does your phone still work???
Old 08-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

YGPM