R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Truggy Engine questions

I am considering entering the world of truggy racing and i was wondering what is the legal motor size for this class. .21 or .28 or either. What size would you recomend. i know that i would get better fuel consumtion with a .21 but sacrafice power. I have ran buggys in the past.

Also whats a good motor for under 200 bucks

Thanks for the help in advance
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

my most rescent truggy engine I went with a budget jammin jpx 21. has as much power as most average .28's around and still get 8 minutes per pit. if i were to have spent more i would have went with a jx ninja 21 and likely pushed 10 minutes per tank. if you use a good 28 its likely going to have unusable power, power not needed. good torque in a 21 is all thats needed. you might loose a fraction on straights but a 28 is not necassary to keep good pace.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Ive heard some good things about the Novarossi N21BF Limited Edition .21 Off Road 3 Port and ive found the Force .28 to be a powerful motor for under $200.
If you want a good deal on a Novarrossi motor get a hold of Mark (PowerHouse) at the Power House/ Cold Fusion Thread
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...fuel-q-26.html
Novarossi N21BF Limited Edition .21 Off Road 3 Port Buggy Engine
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Standard-Plug
Ofna force .28
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTUL9&P=7

Tyler
Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Tech Elite

You may run upto a .28 in truggy class. although a .28 sounds good, there are very few who actually race them,

1. horrible on fuel. I know a few people who run them in Novice class and one factory pro driver that runs it and I have never seen anyone get 8 mins per pit out of a .28 more like 6 7 mins,

2. unusable power band, with a .28 you will find that there is a lot more tire spin causing it to be very hard to drive.

I would suggest and OS Vspec or Jx Ninja , both are good engines and could last a long time if taken care of
Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
You may run upto a .28 in truggy class. although a .28 sounds good, there are very few who actually race them,

1. horrible on fuel. I know a few people who run them in Novice class and one factory pro driver that runs it and I have never seen anyone get 8 mins per pit out of a .28 more like 6 7 mins,

2. unusable power band, with a .28 you will find that there is a lot more tire spin causing it to be very hard to drive.

I would suggest and OS Vspec or Jx Ninja , both are good engines and could last a long time if taken care of
Well a buddy of mine has a Powerhouse modded .28 Siro (i believe or it was a Novarrossi? cant remember) which is giving him 8-9minutes of run time. So hes has the extra power for the truggy, plus gets just as good run time as the .21s . My brother gets about 8 minutes of run time with his force .28. Also both engines you suggested are well over $200!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead racer View Post
Well a buddy of mine has a Powerhouse modded .28 Siro (i believe or it was a Novarrossi? cant remember) which is giving him 8-9minutes of run time. So hes has the extra power for the truggy, plus gets just as good run time as the .21s . My brother gets about 8 minutes of run time with his force .28. Also both engines you suggested are well over $200!
Ok, Im just saying I have never seen a .28 get that run time between pits modded or not - and I know they are over $200, but are better and last longer and are more consistant and if you are going to RACE then I would save alittle more and get a quality RACE engine - these are not top of t he line but good engines

But bottom line is you do not need a .28 for truggy and its not recommeneded

oh Reedy makes a good engine for $249
Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead racer View Post

when do top of the line .21's get 8-9 min a tank ? More like 10-13 pending the mill/mod/tuner.

.28's are too horny on bottom Period...you have to gear them out of the efficiency range to get any real usable power and by then you may as well run a .21 at its full potential.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWMAN View Post
I am considering entering the world of truggy racing and i was wondering what is the legal motor size for this class. .21 or .28 or either. What size would you recomend. i know that i would get better fuel consumtion with a .21 but sacrafice power. I have ran buggys in the past.

Also whats a good motor for under 200 bucks

Thanks for the help in advance

Under 200 you will be limiting your choice's.....you've ran buggy in the past...what motor did you or do you have in your buggy ?

there's many choices for around 200 or a little above...but add 20$ here....well you may as well add another 40$ and step it up to the next level of motor....well from there its only another 50-60$ for the next up....you see where im goin.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
when do top of the line .21's get 8-9 min a tank ? More like 10-13 pending the mill/mod/tuner.

Period...you have to gear them out of the efficiency range to get any real usable power and by then you may as well run a .21 at its full potential.
+1 ".28's are too horny on bottom"
Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
Ok, Im just saying I have never seen a .28 get that run time between pits modded or not - and I know they are over $200, but are better and last longer and are more consistant and if you are going to RACE then I would save alittle more and get a quality RACE engine - these are not top of t he line but good engines

But bottom line is you do not need a .28 for truggy and its not recommeneded

oh Reedy makes a good engine for $249

GO .28 6p and .25 6p both do easily 9-10min in truggy in stock form.

Regarding the engine 9/10 average racers can't handle the power on .28 engine. There for they are better off with a .21. Also the newer generation truggys are more geared towards the .21 engines anyway so with .28 you need to go up in CB.

Depending on the platform used I'd go with a .21 but there is an option to use .24-.25 sized race engines and cope them with good all-around pipe and use small restrictor and you have more torgue than .21, 10min tank time (when tuned correctly) and plenty of power to save you in those situations when you are not in the optimal line.
Poinas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
Tech Addict

the Novarossi N21BF Limited Edition .21 is a great buggy motor have 2 myself but i would have to say the novarossi 21-4 or the mugan ninja .21 but great mills with lots of power novarossi is a little smoother then the ninja
Old 08-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinas2 View Post
GO .28 6p and .25 6p both do easily 9-10min in truggy in stock form.

Regarding the engine 9/10 average racers can't handle the power on .28 engine. There for they are better off with a .21. Also the newer generation truggys are more geared towards the .21 engines anyway so with .28 you need to go up in CB.

Depending on the platform used I'd go with a .21 but there is an option to use .24-.25 sized race engines and cope them with good all-around pipe and use small restrictor and you have more torgue than .21, 10min tank time (when tuned correctly) and plenty of power to save you in those situations when you are not in the optimal line.
OK, back to what I said - I have never seen a .28 that get over 7 mins on a single pits stop.

Where Im at, and the HUGE group of RC racers at one of our 5 1/8 scale tracks - I have not seen a GO engine either.

so I can only speak on what I have seen
Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

cmon guys, he is asking for an engine that costs $200 or under.

my opinion would be a houston tuned/modded n21bf limited or a houston tuned 5-port rebuild (p5x rebuild that is as good as new). both will be around $200 i think. i personally have the 5-port rebuild and it makes really good power in my buggy. i'm planning to get the houston tuned n21bf 3-port for my buggy and transferring the p5x to my truggy once my .28 dynamite platinum goes out. the .28 makes a lot of power but seems to wear out the drivetrain and clutch faster than a .21. hit up monty (rctech username: houston). he'll hook you up according to your needs.
unsp0ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I love my Go Tech .25 6 port in truggy. As mentioned throw a restrictor in it and go for 8-10 minutes. I don't know about the newest Generation but the averge Go tech is 200 bucks.

Once you replace a few conrods thoe it will take you over you 200 limit

Last edited by jazjato; 08-03-2009 at 01:58 PM.
jazjato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsp0ken View Post
cmon guys, he is asking for an engine that costs $200 or under.
my opinion would be a houston tuned/modded n21bf limited or a houston tuned 5-port rebuild (p5x rebuild that is as good as new). both will be around $200 i think. i personally have the 5-port rebuild and it makes really good power in my buggy. i'm planning to get the houston tuned n21bf 3-port for my buggy and transferring the p5x to my truggy once my .28 dynamite platinum goes out. the .28 makes a lot of power but seems to wear out the drivetrain and clutch faster than a .21. hit up monty (rctech username: houston). he'll hook you up according to your needs.