Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Losi
Mugen
Xray
AE
Kyosho

Just my opinion.

As for RTR's the losi is the only one to consider IMO. Nothing else comes close.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Allot of this has to do with what your exposed to. I can't even cast a vote for Kyosho. Because I have literally only seen maybe 3-4 all season. None of which did anything other than look good to say that's a nice ride. In my area you drive Losi, Mugen, AE, HB or you ain't driving sh!t. Now of the cars that I have mentioned that I have seen this year. They all performed nicely in the right hands. They all won big races and little races. They all broke at one time or another. They all got smoke by one of the others. To say one is better than the other is plain ol B.S.. What do I drive and like LOSI of course. What would I like to drive. All of them if I had the money I would buy one of each and keep having fun which is what I think this is about. Oh and not to mention I have driven one all of the above.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
There are 8-10 Buggies out right now, that are all very capable of winning. To pick any one or even 5 as the best, would just be silly in the right hands all of them are more than capable:

XRAY, LOSI, AE, MUGEN,Tamiya, KYOSHO, Odonnell, Hot Bodies, HYPER9, SH Z, and Caster all make very good buggies..Take your pick!!
haha jaz you crack me up. Hyper 9 isnt a company. Ofna makes the hyper 9 along with all the other hypers.

And it all depends on the driver, not the vehicle. Take Ryan Lutz for example. He used to drive for Kyosho but he switched over to Tamiya (which isnt exactly a competing 8th scale offraod brand). But that doesnt matter. He still OWNNNNSSSS!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freestylinmotox
haha jaz you crack me up. Hyper 9 isnt a company. Ofna makes the hyper 9 along with all the other hypers.

And it all depends on the driver, not the vehicle. Take Ryan Lutz for example. He used to drive for Kyosho but he switched over to Tamiya (which isnt exactly a competing 8th scale offraod brand). But that doesnt matter. He still OWNNNNSSSS!!!
Actually Hobao makes the Hyper 9...but they also make others that are not race worthy, that's why I named it and didn't say Ofna or Hobao
Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well said! Well said! If Hara gave me his D8, I will still be the last...

Originally Posted by captain america
I see that some people like to quote victory stats to justify their choices. I suppose you can go that route of you choose, but I don't give much credibility to high-profile wins and chapionships. Here's why.

Firstly, it's all in the driver. There are a handful of drivers that are top-tier, like Drake, Truhe, Hara, etc) that are capable of winning, regardless of the sponsorship sticker that you slap on the side of the bodyshell. Heck, they could probably still win driving a Hyper 7 and a little luck.

-The rest of us are, for the most part, nowhere near their level, and can't really exploit a given chassis or engine's maximum potential, so much of the "this car is faster than that car" is mostly moot.

Secondly, the top-tier drivers don't pay for their gear, be it cars, parts, engines, etc; they really couldn't care less if parts wear-out/need replacing after one main; they'll just toss the worn part over their shoulder, and bolt-on a brand-spanking new part, or pull a whole new car out of the box and keep going. And since they are "team" drivers, they never have to worry about a shortage of spares, because they have the direct backing of the sponsor, the very best and newest parts, and all of its ressources right at their fingertips.

-Those of us sponsored by our wallets, actually need to take into consideration not only the cost of spares & upgrades, but also availability (or lack thereof.) Some parts of the world are virtual toilets for R/C activity (like Quebec) so helpful hobby shops are few & far between, and having to order from overseas can be an exercise in patience, sanity, and a drain on the wallet.

Thirdly, because of the top-tier drivers' wealth of expertise and experience, they don't need anyone to help them troubleshoot the car, geometry or settings, since they contributed themselves to its design, and know their gear practically inside and out, in their sleep, with one hand tied behind their back.

-Many weekend warriors and novices (like myself) rely on sites like these to troubleshoot many of our problems (God bless the internet!) Unfortunately, some companies are very cryptic with helpful info, or just not helpful at all. For example, if I has one of those Team Magic abominations, I think I'd be crying my eyes out for lack of parts, club & technical support.

Anyway, all this to say that some of us, for the reasons listed above, have very different criteria in selecting gear than the big boys.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Champion

Why's everyone torn up over an opinion poll??

1. Xray 809
2. Mugen Mbx6

Its a huge jump to 3,4,5. Really lacking in durability compared to Mugen/Xray.

Somewhere down here.

3. Kyosho Money Pit 9

another jump down in quality

4. Losi 2.0
5. Hotbodies D8
6. Traxxas Slash (not a buggy but after 1&2, it deosn't really matter.)
7. AE Rc8
8. Dumpster frizbees
9. Ofna, Cen,Gs, Hobo

Its my opinion, you can cry if you want to.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Losi

xray = 8 copy

rc8b

Taniya

kyosho
Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you really have to be so blunt?

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
8. Dumpster frizbees
9. Ofna, Cen,Gs, Hobo
But I like your first choice..
Old 08-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

all buggys can be a lot of fun. i wouldnt trade any of my losis for nothing. the thing just tunes so easy and is so easy to service. once you get used to it anything is equal in different ways. its all about area parts support and preference. kyosho is awsome but can lead to headaches unless you have a complete parts car. so id have to push it off the top 5 list although its still great. my list is not biased. list accumulated from own experience and info from others=accurate

1. xray 808 basically a top notch quality losi
2. losi 2.0 or even a 1.0 for that matter
3. rc8 i hear more losi guys wondering about rc8 than ae guys wondering about losi
4. mugen x6 or 5 for that matter(x5 most durable of any buggy) x6 has so much steering maybe too much or would be closer to top
5. D8 i hear more guys say how much more stable this cheap buggy is compared to almost anything, especially losi. HB buggy for $300 has to be on any top 5 list due to price/performance alone.

and yes i have wheeled them all.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Initiate

1. Mugen MBX 6 - Durability good - Price ( 509 ) and parts are top notch.

2. HPI D8 - Price very good ( 330 ) and reliability aren't there, maybe the new drive shaft would be better than previous. Handling fantastic moreover it a WC car.

3. Losi 8 - Price is high ( 650 ), dislike - factory driver's ride are always different than the stock kit.

4. Associated - Price good ( 500 ) - but doesn't like anything from TTR; bad stuff..................made in China.................sick...........

5. Xray 808 - Price high ( 640.00 ) Euro ? we all understand......rear diff is sick.................Juraj better fix it.

6. Kyosho MP9 - Use to be expensive ( 800 ) but with standard kit now ( 660 ) the kit not worth with what you are paying for. Stupid marketing...............and Kyosho going down hill.............

OFNA Jammin ( 600 ) opps wrongly price, Hobao ( 450 ) - pls get the engine straighten out pls..............Tamiya ( 550 ) - get more drivers.......and get your engine straighten out.........the gimmick don't work.......it's not EP, buggy drivers are into durability, price and performance.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hengfook
4. Associated - Price good ( 500 ) - but doesn't like anything from TTR; bad stuff..................made in China.................sick...........
Where did you get your fax on the AE car? China? I dont think so! Also the diffs, axles and some other stuff are the same as the TTR.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Losi
Mugen
Xray
AE
Kyosho
That would be my ranking, too
Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hengfook
1. Mugen MBX 6 - Durability good - Price ( 509 ) and parts are top notch.

2. HPI D8 - Price very good ( 330 ) and reliability aren't there, maybe the new drive shaft would be better than previous. Handling fantastic moreover it a WC car.

3. Losi 8 - Price is high ( 650 ), dislike - factory driver's ride are always different than the stock kit.

5. Xray 808 - Price high ( 640.00 ) Euro ? we all understand......rear diff is sick.................Juraj better fix it.

6. Kyosho MP9 - Use to be expensive ( 800 ) but with standard kit now ( 660 ) the kit not worth with what you are paying for. Stupid marketing...............and Kyosho going down hill.............

OFNA Jammin ( 600 ) opps wrongly price, Hobao ( 450 ) - pls get the engine straighten out pls..............Tamiya ( 550 ) - get more drivers.......and get your engine straighten out.........the gimmick don't work.......it's not EP, buggy drivers are into durability, price and performance.
Nope the Losi guys run the same kit we do.......... I have seen them up close and personal All of the extras they have you can get ........
Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Maybe I am wrong................

Since early 2008, Thunder Tiger Corp. has been aggressively implementing the new plan by opening the first Sky Hobby RC retail store, exploring international markets for its oral healthcare equipment division, and expanding operations for both AE and Thunder Tiger on the global market. Simultaneously, Taiwan's production lines are now exclusively producing high-end oral healthcare equipment while a state-of-the-art plant is under construction in Ningbo - mainland China – to replace current RC production lines and greatly increase capacity.

it lines been moved to china long ago.........if I am not wrong.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

two ways to rank them I guess...
value...

Hot Bodies D8
Odonnell
RC8
Mugen
Xray

performance after bugs worked out...

Odonnell
D8
Kyosho
Mugen
Xray

just my opinion and those are in order of me actually owning all of them at one point, so its not what I read its what I raced

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.