Temp test over weekend. >

Temp test over weekend.

Temp test over weekend.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Temp test over weekend.

Hello Everyone.

I managed to borrow a temp gun off a mate over the weekend to check the temp of the engine. So I went down to local park and run the buggy full throttle over grass, checked it several times. It stars between 70-80 degrees celcius, according to manual that came with buggy max temp is 132 degrees celcius so im well under that.

Its making good power and very consistent so im not going to try and push it any harder to get the temps higher, unless running it too cool can somehow hurt it? Any ideas?

Other than that im very happy with is so far, no major issues (except rear shockers leaking all their fluid).
Old 08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

IMO running an engine too cold can cause damage. If you don't get it hot enough, the sleeve cannot expand enough. This would definitely take life off you motor.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

full throtle + grass + cold engine = bad

i think this has to be a joke. Rear shock towers leaking everywhere would be a issue in my book.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Bummer, didnt know that. Do you think 80 degrees celcius is too cold?

I dont really want to change the tune because its seems happy and consistent, but more importantly I dont want to take life off my motor.

What I ment about rear shocks is that its an easy fix, even with my very limited knowledge.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sperera
Bummer, didnt know that. Do you think 80 degrees celcius is too cold?

I dont really want to change the tune because its seems happy and consistent, but more importantly I dont want to take life off my motor.

What I ment about rear shocks is that its an easy fix, even with my very limited knowledge.
what kind of car? the shock thing isn't a big deal i guess. I don't know what 80 celsious is
Old 08-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Model is BS802T (purcahsed from ebay new RTR kit). It has a .21 CXP (with the biggest heat sinks I have ever seen). 1/8 scale.

80 celcius is 176 F.

I tested the temp concentrating on area directly next to glow plug and the glow plug itself. Heat sinks were cooler than the area next to glow plug.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

80C/176F is on the cool side, but it's not too cold. Does the engine seem to be running well with no sputtering, four-stroking, etc? Is it making good smoke? It's probably ok.

Checking temps by run WOT through the grass will not give you a clear indication of what the temps will be under race conditions, unless your racetrack is a grass-covered dragstrip.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Idles beaut, no spluttering at all. Good smoke, none at idle but when accelerating yes nice stream.

Do you think the buggy will run hotter on gravel compared to grass? I thought grass would offer more resistance than gravel therefore it would get hotter.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Buggy + grass = no more clutch.....buggy's dont have the ground clearance to go very far in living grass.....sure if its beat down or 1/2 dead it wont be a problem but In general grass will be a significantly heavier load as apposed to gravel.

FYI Most if not all RC guys measure in Fahrenheit not Celcius.....and imo 170 is not hot enough.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

The oval i take mine to has very short grass (under an inch) because footy is played on it every weekend but I didnt know that about the clutch. Thanks.

Bummer, I really didnt want to re-tune it to get it hotter but if im doing damage then I will.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Lord

The oval i take mine to has very short grass (under an inch) because footy is played on it every weekend but I didnt know that about the clutch. Thanks.

Bummer, I really didnt want to re-tune it to get it hotter but if im doing damage then I will.
1/2 turn on the highspeed is usually all you really need....just dont HAMMER on it for the whole tank.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Integra
1/2 turn on the highspeed is usually all you really need....just dont HAMMER on it for the whole tank.
Wow half a turn, isnt that allot?

I plan to buy a IR heat gun so I can always check the temp. Might go 1/4 and take it from there.

I havent really touched the LS needly, advised not to by local hobby shop, should I play with this as well?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Lord

Wow half a turn, isnt that allot?

I plan to buy a IR heat gun so I can always check the temp. Might go 1/4 and take it from there.

I havent really touched the LS needly, advised not to by local hobby shop, should I play with this as well?

Not until you have a firmer grasp on the whole tuning thing.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Integra
Not until you have a firmer grasp on the whole tuning thing.
Understood, I will stay away from it for the time being!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Tech Initiate

On-Board Temperature Gauge or hand IR gun is better?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.