Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Set up station or camber guage???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Set up station or camber guage???

What is your opinion? It seems to me that the only thing the set up station is good for is to set up front toe. That when trying to set up camber front and rear that the set up station just isn't enough. Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

love mine. throw it on the setup station after every tear down. no guess work ya know
Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

How precise do you want to be & how much money you want to spend? Station is the only way to go for me. If you think a rpm guage will be the same as setup station your dreaming. If your one of those that has to be exact & want it the same every time then spend the money. If you the type that is satisfied with a quick check & go by it feels good to me then save the money for tires or fuel & get the plastic camber guage.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maximuspowell
What is your opinion? It seems to me that the only thing the set up station is good for is to set up front toe. That when trying to set up camber front and rear that the set up station just isn't enough. Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this?
I have this for almost 3 yrs. I think it is worth every penny.

http://www.rc-toro.com/product_info....9f2b2ac9c7e601
Old 08-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by butch man
How precise do you want to be & how much money you want to spend? Station is the only way to go for me. If you think a rpm guage will be the same as setup station your dreaming. If your one of those that has to be exact & want it the same every time then spend the money. If you the type that is satisfied with a quick check & go by it feels good to me then save the money for tires or fuel & get the plastic camber guage.
Setup station might be accurate but is negated by the slop in our cars, put a sloppy losi on the station and the rpm gauge is just as good.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FactoryTeam08
Setup station might be accurate but is negated by the slop in our cars, put a sloppy losi on the station and the rpm gauge is just as good.
You might get the same result, and alot cheaper, for sure.
However, when you adjust toe, you change camber, and vice versa.
Drop it in to the setup bench, have some ride height blocks (I make my own out of wood) under it and its dialed in 5 minutes. Camber, toe, steering/servo adjustment, front caster.
Best thing would perhaps be to get together and share one, because you really dont use it on a daily basis (unless you do changes on a daily basis).
Old 08-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by casevac
You might get the same result, and alot cheaper, for sure.
However, when you adjust toe, you change camber, and vice versa.
Drop it in to the setup bench, have some ride height blocks (I make my own out of wood) under it and its dialed in 5 minutes. Camber, toe, steering/servo adjustment, front caster.
Best thing would perhaps be to get together and share one, because you really dont use it on a daily basis (unless you do changes on a daily basis).
Actually, camber doesnt change when you adjust toe. Having worked on full size cars and race cars for close to 20 years, first rule of alignments is do it alphabetically. Camber, then caster, then toe. That way each step doesnt change the previous step. Saves time and hassle.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Adept

I use a setup station and they are great for toe and I do like mine but they are by no means necessary, in fact, my camber gauge is just as good...

Buy a station if you can afford one but don't for a moment think that you need one.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I bought a set-up station a long time ago. I used it to set up my car and it was out to lunch. I cant explain it. It should have been light years better but it wasnt.

I use this now. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Gauge-Green

It works great as long as you have a nice flat surface to work off.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Devilbrad
Actually, camber doesnt change when you adjust toe. Having worked on full size cars and race cars for close to 20 years, first rule of alignments is do it alphabetically. Camber, then caster, then toe. That way each step doesnt change the previous step. Saves time and hassle.
Werent aware of that rule, anywho - I personally find it more conveinient to do theese settings while the car is mounted in a setup station.

Buy a station if you can afford one but don't for a moment think that you need one.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

I use a setup station and they are great for toe and I do like mine but they are by no means necessary, in fact, my camber gauge is just as good...

Somebody else is always willing to show their's off and use it too!