Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #91
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)
Send a message via AIM to megasaxon Send a message via Yahoo to megasaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
It's pretty cool that the new GO motors are coming with an extra con rod!

Hopefully the other manufacturers follow this example!

Well the difference between a Go and many other motors is the Go needs a rod within 3 gallons of purchase, others like Novas don't...
Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #92
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megasaxon View Post
Well the difference between a Go and many other motors is the Go needs a rod within 3 gallons of purchase, others like Novas don't...

LOL. True.

I used to run a Go engine.. But changed to RB, and like it MUCH better.
www.rcgears.net, www.carcar.ca, www.karz.ca
Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #93
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I heard that Nova rods fit in Go's. If that's true, problem solved.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #94
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I heard that Nova rods fit in Go's. If that's true, problem solved.
yep i think some of the older nova rods fit the go's, but they are about 3X the price, cheaper in the long run to just buy a different motor.

Go 3/5/7 port Turbo: $210
Novarossi rod: $55 (or 3 go rods @ about $18 ea)

already spend $265, plus carb issues to deal with(pretty common)

I'd rather spend $270 on a Vspec, or $150 on a novarossi n21bf or even $300 on a 21-4... To me having no headaches is worth the extra $$$
Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #95
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)
Send a message via MSN to zJatoRad

a Go needs a rod after 3 gallons because the engines are so tight when they're new that they put a lot of stress on the rod, but after break in or 2 gallons or whatever, the new rod installed with hold up until the engine gives up.

The carburetor issues were solved since Gen 5, over a year ago.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #96
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zJatoRad View Post
a Go needs a rod after 3 gallons because the engines are so tight when they're new that they put a lot of stress on the rod, but after break in or 2 gallons or whatever, the new rod installed with hold up until the engine gives up.

The carburetor issues were solved since Gen 5, over a year ago.
Well according to the Go thread, you need to replace the first rod at about 2 gallons and put another in every 3 gallons after that. And There's a couple of guys at my local track that have Gen5.5s, both have been having carb trouble since day 1

No matter how you look at it, still less headache to buy a better quality motor. Seems that everone gets their Go's modded too, right out of the box, kinda of defeats the purpose of buying a cheaper motor.

Go's are good 'Sport' motors at best. You don't see the TOP factory drivers running a Go, do you?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #97
Tech Master

Quote:
Well according to the Go thread, you need to replace the first rod at about 2 gallons and put another in every 3 gallons after that. And There's a couple of guys at my local track that have Gen5.5s, both have been having carb trouble since day 1

No matter how you look at it, still less headache to buy a better quality motor. Seems that everone gets their Go's modded too, right out of the box, kinda of defeats the purpose of buying a cheaper motor.

Go's are good 'Sport' motors at best. You don't see the TOP factory drivers running a Go, do you?
I'd like you to post a quote of someone saying in the Go thread to change the rod every 3 gallons, I've read to change it after the first 2 gallons but after being almost 2 years in that thread I've never seen someone type that it needs to be replaced every 3 gallons.

Me, my dad and my uncle have been running GO engines for 2 years and we have never seen the need to mod our engines, GO 5 port stupid low end, GO 7 port endless top end, both get 11 mins on a tank, what else can I ask for on an engine? I don't mind replacing a $18 rod after the first 2 gallons, the stock bearings last forever and I don't get left behind by any engine. And no, you don't see top factory drivers using these engines because they have their own sponsors, if GO does not want to sponsor a top driver, that's their thing.

Not to mention that these engines probably have the best warranty than any other engine, I did had a rod bushing failure in my first GO after 5 gallons but I never changed the rod , and Racefactor sent me a brand new engine without the need to even send my old one in.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #98
Tech Addict

Quote:
I'd like you to post a quote of someone saying in the Go thread to change the rod every 3 gallons, I've read to change it after the first 2 gallons but after being almost 2 years in that thread I've never seen someone type that it needs to be replaced every 3 gallons.

Me, my dad and my uncle have been running GO engines for 2 years and we have never seen the need to mod our engines, GO 5 port stupid low end, GO 7 port endless top end, both get 11 mins on a tank, what else can I ask for on an engine? I don't mind replacing a $18 rod after the first 2 gallons, the stock bearings last forever and I don't get left behind by any engine. And no, you don't see top factory drivers using these engines because they have their own sponsors, if GO does not want to sponsor a top driver, that's their thing.

Not to mention that these engines probably have the best warranty than any other engine, I did had a rod bushing failure in my first GO after 5 gallons but I never changed the rod , and Racefactor sent me a brand new engine without the need to even send my old one in.
Jato your wasting your time with this 1 he'll just keep going on and on. race what your happy with and don't worry about fools like this that bag other brands just because he pays too much for what he runs and is bitter because they don't perform or last any better.

as for changing rods at every 3 gallons get real my first 7 port was at 9 gallons before I chnged the rod and bearing and only as a precaution and it is only a recomendation to change the rod after breakin it is not compulsery, most guys do it on their race engines no matter what the brand.

Just FYI the lastest series of GO engines will be coming will a TiNi coated crank, wrist pin and carb slide and a spare rod. I've run Novarossi GRP and OS's and personally for the price difference there is not enough of a performance and quality difference to justify paying the extra.

Just my 2c

adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #99
Tech Master

Coated crankshafts, wrist pins and carburetor slides for less than $240? now I'd like to see another engine with those features for that price.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Hi guys

I have been reading this thread for a while now and here is my input on the subject.

I was the first person to introduce the Go engines to the world going back to 2006 .

The moto they had Designed with european influence was created by me back in early 06 .

Yes the 5 port and 7 port back then with the silver head and gold heads were 100% based on the Novarossi plus 5 and plus 7 including the plus 21 5k

The rods were the same ,the piston and sleeve were the same .r7 ,r4,r6 conrods all fitted the Go engines also sleeves and pistons to including buttons the only difference was the bearings as nova already moved to the 26mm and 25.8mm in the older style novas were the go was 25.4mm like the os etc.

I remember having to give some guys alternatives for the novarossi engines as the nova's were way to expensive for the sleeve but remembering the Go's were never the quality of the Nova's.Customers used conrods and pistons and sleeve's to get there novas going at a reduced cost by using Go parts.

I was the importer of both brands Nova and GO known then known as Go Tech

I remember in 2008 i was in shanghai for the toy and hobbyfair and met up with The owner and the daughter of Go tech at that time i was wearing a Nova business shirt and man his daughter nearly creamed her pants when she say the shirt she was going dad dad dad novarossi novarossi novarossi .

Apparently she was and still is a big fan of nova and thats when i knew were the influence came from as everyday dad would do anything for there little girl.

I also introduce most of the distributors they have today .

Now i dont know what there engines as based on now as i haven't seen one in years and it looks like the carbies have been fixed a long time ago and thats good but what i know i dont think they will ever get to the stage of Novarossi in quality and material .

But it looks like they are doing most of there own designing now and good luck to them .keep up the great work GO .

just my two cents worth

ps: Also in the racing scene no need for modded engines if you believe in fuel economy.There is no such thing as a fuel efficient modded engine its something out of a peter pan movie of make believe.extra power and fuel economy just dont mix engineering has proved that many times over in large scale engines
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China

Last edited by COBRARACING; 08-05-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #101
Tech Elite

Quote:
Coated crankshafts, wrist pins and carburetor slides for less than $240? now I'd like to see another engine with those features for that price.

Think about this if Novarossi ,Rb ,Os,Sirio,Grp and other major brands made in europe could only trust the engine quality of the Taiwanese and chinese then they would to have a motor for under $200 with all the coated cranks etc etc .

wages are way under in Taiwane and china so thats why they are cheap compared to european manufacture

The odonnell engine is made in taiwan and from what we have tested one of the best engines at the moment .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
Old 08-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #102
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Hi guys
his daughter nearly creamed her pants
Apparently she was and still is a big fan of nova
classic Nice 1 Angelo

The 7 port I mentioned in 1 of my posts came through you way back in 2006 and was still running up until feb this year on it's original piston and liner after more than 55 ltrs (only 1 set of bearings and 1 rod change in that time, 3 carbs though), and it will be running again as a 5port t with all new 5.5 internals.

The main reason it got retired was that where the clutch bearings sit on the crank had worn so much that there was about 1- 1.5 mm of play.

Adrian

Old 08-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #103
Tech Master

i'm not bitter at all about spending more money. I'm bitter that all the Go's i've had were all junk, had all the common problems and frankly fuel mileage was never as good as you people claim. I think the best thing that ever happened for Go was Caster Racing's version, called the Grenade, which is exactly what it is, a grenade, lots of power, but destined to blow up in some way or another.

As far as no Factory Drivers running a Go, it has nothing do do with GO not wanting to sponsor a driver, it has more to do with no driver wanting to take a chance with sub-par quality. IF the Go's were the best thing in the world like some of you think, Factory Drivers would run them, regardless of a sponsorship or not.

Everyone has their opinions tho, and i've seen some Go's that ran good, And for power, they are just stupid, but there is no way you can say that the quality of the parts is even close to an Italian motor....
Old 08-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #104
Tech Addict

Quote:
i'm not bitter at all about spending more money. I'm bitter that all the Go's i've had were all junk, had all the common problems and frankly fuel mileage was never as good as you people claim. I think the best thing that ever happened for Go was Caster Racing's version, called the Grenade, which is exactly what it is, a grenade, lots of power, but destined to blow up in some way or another.

As far as no Factory Drivers running a Go, it has nothing do do with GO not wanting to sponsor a driver, it has more to do with no driver wanting to take a chance with sub-par quality. IF the Go's were the best thing in the world like some of you think, Factory Drivers would run them, regardless of a sponsorship or not.

Everyone has their opinions tho, and i've seen some Go's that ran good, And for power, they are just stupid, but there is no way you can say that the quality of the parts is even close to an Italian motor....
hey thats crazy just hit quote and a whole lot more of a post came up

I understand what you saying you've had a bad run with go and your totally entitled to be pissed pretty much the same reason I wouldn't run Nova's again( had 3 throw rear bearings on me at just over 2 gallons 2x plus21-5t's and a 367 plus4. I had 2 V-spec with split crankcases 1 was cracked from the factory never even had fuel put through it and they still refused to replace it) .
just 1 thing to concider is that Go has only been in the engine market for about 4 years where as nova OS etc have had a long time to sort things out. Go seems to be a company that is continually trying to improve their products and with the new GX series it looks like the quality factor is the road they are trying to go down.

I try not to get into these sort of my product your product things my attitude is run what works for you and try not to bash something someone else uses because at the end of the day we're all in the same sport it's just what we use thats different

Adrian

Old 08-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #105
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Just my .02 cents I personally know 2 AE drivers who ran GO's. 7ports in there Buggy's 5 Ports in there Truggy's. They are excellent drivers finishing in the top 5 consistently. They ran GO's up until this spring when they were given the Reedy. So the statement that NO sponsored or factory drivers run them is inaccurate. You just don't know any would be more of the correct statement.

Now on the quality of a GO the carb issue has long been fixed. However that's kinda like the losi's and the throttle servo issue. Some people just will not let it go as it has long been fixed as well. Not to mention those of us who know how to set a servo correctly never had an issue.

But hey when you find an issue with a product you don't like. i.e. Obama's not American why let it go if you say it enough times. If enough people without knowledge hear you it becomes the truth right!!.You know it's a haters dumb way of discrediting a good product. Now GO is not the quality of a NOVA, OS or RB. However for the money you can't beat it. Not to mention they sell quite a few. With allot of repeat customers does that not tell you something. Oh that's right those people are just dumb or sheep right.

ED does not associate himself with junk. Nor do I view him as a person who would ruin his rep over some dollars. GO had to be doing something right for him to put his name on the line.

Just a little further note. In the world of racing no matter what scale your talking. Drivers change teams and brands like we change underwear. Engine manufacturers change engineers, consultants, engine blocks, pistons, oils and everything else well as much as we change our underwear.

If you don't like GO don't bash them beat em on the track. You can do that right?
Closed Thread