R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with that. Perhaps he's being realistic and feels that he's in over his head and wants to get a vehicle that's a little less demanding with respect to the level of experience required and the costs.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
Your going from a 1/8 nitro buggy to a 1/16 mini electric Traxxas?
Haha I know, big change. The thing is, I have never even seen an RC track and I don't race. I bought this car for its speed and handling, but my expectations were too high and I was a bit unimpressed, not to mention nitro has not treated me well from the beginning. The LHS guy showed me the 1/16 traxxas cars and they look really sick. They're fast, durable, easy, and fun, so I guess we'll see.

God Hates Faqs (frequently asked questions)
sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

that looks like a vtx engine i had, from the video it looks like you have a lot of play in the rod and the piston is still tight, also the mid needle looks way lean. a new rod may help the problem but you may need a new crank also. when the rod gets too much play the motor won't idle at first then it stalls or has a lot of flame outs, then the rod snaps one day. take off the flywheel/clutch and pull out the crank and see if the lhs has a rod that will fit in there with no wobble.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_blaze14 View Post
that looks like a vtx engine i had, from the video it looks like you have a lot of play in the rod and the piston is still tight, also the mid needle looks way lean. a new rod may help the problem but you may need a new crank also. when the rod gets too much play the motor won't idle at first then it stalls or has a lot of flame outs, then the rod snaps one day. take off the flywheel/clutch and pull out the crank and see if the lhs has a rod that will fit in there with no wobble.
The rod doesn't have any horizontal play in it. I know, I had an engine that did that.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i just watched the video again, with the backplate off and the piston locked you can see the rod moving left and right, right? that is play in the rod. if the rod is new and there is no play the rod goes to the top and pops through to the other sid and never "sticks" up there. also good compression keeps the piston from sticking there so the sleve or piston are probably scrathced, i think you mentioned that also. why you have so much pinch is anothr issue, maybe cracked sleeve, chipped piston or damaged piston. i say the motor is toast and not worth messing with it specially after being opend up and parts justh thrown about on the table, the internals of these small motors are precise to like the 100th of a mm. any small ding or notch you accidentally put on the button or piston or sleeve being dropped aginst something like a screw driver could be catastrophic to the engines performance. you say a couple times "i have no idea how any dirt got in there" but the whole motor is like spread out on the towel, funny. the black powder inside could be carbon or burnt plug coils or just burnt internals, maybe a blown bearing or something broke inside and got crushed and polverized. either way good luck.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post

To get the engine fully disassembled, put a couple zip-ties through the exhaust port and rotate the crank to move the piston upward. You're probably going to have to use pliers on the flywheel because the sleeve is probably really tight in the block. The use of the zip-ties should get the sleeve to pop up just a little bit, which should give you enough to work it the rest of the way out by hand.
..also use a heat gun on the case and get it hot..the sleeve will slide out much easier.........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_blaze14 View Post
i just watched the video again, with the backplate off and the piston locked you can see the rod moving left and right, right? that is play in the rod. if the rod is new and there is no play the rod goes to the top and pops through to the other sid and never "sticks" up there. also good compression keeps the piston from sticking there so the sleve or piston are probably scrathced, i think you mentioned that also. why you have so much pinch is anothr issue, maybe cracked sleeve, chipped piston or damaged piston. i say the motor is toast and not worth messing with it specially after being opend up and parts justh thrown about on the table, the internals of these small motors are precise to like the 100th of a mm. any small ding or notch you accidentally put on the button or piston or sleeve being dropped aginst something like a screw driver could be catastrophic to the engines performance. you say a couple times "i have no idea how any dirt got in there" but the whole motor is like spread out on the towel, funny. the black powder inside could be carbon or burnt plug coils or just burnt internals, maybe a blown bearing or something broke inside and got crushed and polverized. either way good luck.
I'm not an idiot. Any intelligent monkey would've discerned that I'd do a full cleaning of the engine after I open up the internals. That's just standard procedure.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

dude, chill out. he was just trying to help you out, but seeing your acting that way i aint gonna help you at all. he was just going over the basics and letting you know. just saying but if you have black shavings in your motor, you dont clean it much, if not at all. could be a bearing though
Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayyer View Post
dude, chill out. he was just trying to help you out, but seeing your acting that way i aint gonna help you at all. he was just going over the basics and letting you know. just saying but if you have black shavings in your motor, you dont clean it much, if not at all. could be a bearing though
The reason I responded the way I did was the tone of his post. If someone treats me like an idiot, expect my response to be brutally honest.

On a lighter note, I put the whole thing back together and I got it started. I don't know how, but I did. I have some serious tuning to do, but hopefully I can get it in a condition worthy of selling. I'm going electric.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokar View Post
The reason I responded the way I did was the tone of his post. If someone treats me like an idiot, expect my response to be brutally honest.

On a lighter note, I put the whole thing back together and I got it started. I don't know how, but I did. I have some serious tuning to do, but hopefully I can get it in a condition worthy of selling. I'm going electric.
How mcuh do you think you will get for that Hyper 8.5? With the starter box and everythign RTR, I would say no more than $200, probably around $125-150. And what eelctric are you getting? (hope it isnt a 1/16 traxxas)

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Quote:
How mcuh do you think you will get for that Hyper 8.5? With the starter box and everythign RTR, I would say no more than $200, probably
Its a hyper 8 with upgrades such as hitec super torque steering servo among other things. It also comes with the full Hyper 8.5 upgrade kit which includes the chassis. Hyper 7s in this condition without the upgrade kit go for around $275. I'm hoping to get at least that much.

Quote:
And what eelctric are you getting? (hope it isnt a 1/16 traxxas)
I have heard nothing but good about the traxxas minis. What's wrong with them?

I'm hoping I can snag a used full sized slash for the right price though.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Its a hyper 8 with upgrades such as hitec super torque steering servo among other things. It also comes with the full Hyper 8.5 upgrade kit which includes the chassis. Hyper 7s in this condition without the upgrade kit go for around $275. I'm hoping to get at least that much.

I have heard nothing but good about the traxxas minis. What's wrong with them?

I'm hoping I can snag a used full sized slash for the right price though.
Did the upgrade kit come with the car? And I know you paid about 370 for the car. And how much was the steering servo (7955tg?)? How much gas has been through it?

From the people who have gave good response about the Traxxas minis, have you looked in their sig to see what else they own? I read that thread you had, and it seemed the most important things people were talking about is speed. For example, my mini e revo BL can go 36.2mph with this lipo, this BL system, this gearing, etc. It seemed like speed was the only thing they cared about. And the Traxxas mini's will do bad on anything other than very smooth dirt, think of what happens if you hit a small rock going fast, but the 1/10 slash is a great car.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 08-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Quote:
Did the upgrade kit come with the car? And I know you paid about 370 for the car. And how much was the steering servo (7955tg?)? How much gas has been through it?
1/2 gallon. 1 month old.

$370 car
$50 box
$50 servo (I think)

$470 total (not including repairs). -$170 because its used. I could do $300.

Quote:
From the people who have gave good response about the Traxxas minis, have you looked in their sig to see what else they own? I read that thread you had, and it seemed the most important things people were talking about is speed. For example, my mini e revo BL can go 36.2mph with this lipo, this BL system, this gearing, etc. It seemed like speed was the only thing they cared about. And the Traxxas mini's will do bad on anything other than very smooth dirt, think of what happens if you hit a small rock going fast, but the 1/10 slash is a great car.
I have to admit, speed is nice. The mini e revo has about the same clearance as my OFNA, and my OFNA did fine on both grass and dirt. Sure, its not a stampede, but this is going to be a strict bashing car on cement, dirt, and grass only. Can these cars handle those three surfaces?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

How much gas has been thru it. If it is new that is normal. At top dead center you have a dead spot where the crank will click back and forth which is normal. Has is the motor running? lean, rich, not at all. If you any visable failer in the motor. Scatched sleeve, particles inbeded in the head button.
bigde2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
1/2 gallon. 1 month old.

$370 car
$50 box
$50 servo (I think)

$470 total (not including repairs). -$170 because its used. I could do $300.

I have to admit, speed is nice. The mini e revo has about the same clearance as my OFNA, and my OFNA did fine on both grass and dirt. Sure, its not a stampede, but this is going to be a strict bashing car on cement, dirt, and grass only. Can these cars handle those three surfaces?
Think of it this way. The car is $370 new, you started it up, so the value decreased by 50%. Now you are at $180 for the car. A $50 box new with about 1/2 gallon on it is would go for about $30. Then the $50 servo would go for about $30.

There you have it, about $240 would be the value IF someone even wants it. I mean, who wants a Hyper 8.5 RTR with a used starter box and cheap servo? Sorry about that, but you might want to get into reality for a minute to think about it. Then add shipping and you have a $210 profit (being generous). Plus, your engine is locked up, and even though you partly fixed it, with all the problems with are having, that will leave an unhappy customer wanting their money back (again being realistic).

If you like speed, get the new Losi Speed-NT to compete your buddies Jato. They will be perfectly matched. A 1/16 car going 30+ mph is just stupid. They werent really meant to g that fast, but with Traxxas being the way they are, they had to have each car go as fast as possible! The E Revo or Slash certantly wont handle like your 1/8 buggy, I think that will be a BIG surprise for your, handling. It will be much harder to drive than your Hyper8.5.