Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Any tips on starting my motor for the first time? >

Any tips on starting my motor for the first time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any tips on starting my motor for the first time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Any tips on starting my motor for the first time?

I have a mach 2 .21 buggy motor and it won't start for the first time. I have been threw three glow plugs and made sure not to flood the motor. It fires a little bit but not enough to start it up. I have been at it for three days now with no luck. I am very new to nitro so any tips would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 07-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

make sure you prime the engine, you dont want it spinning while its new with no fuel in it. also pre-heat the engine with a heat gun or a hair dryer to close to 200 degrees. this should make it start right up. finally make sure your ingiter and starter box or rotostart i guess is freshly charged.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Make sure your glow driver is charged......

That one gets a lot of people.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lalmog91
make sure you prime the engine, you dont want it spinning while its new with no fuel in it. also pre-heat the engine with a heat gun or a hair dryer to close to 200 degrees. this should make it start right up. finally make sure your ingiter and starter box or rotostart i guess is freshly charged.
I primed the motor. I blew threw the fuel line to get fuel to the carb. I didn't think i needed to do the hair dryer thing because is is 100 degrees down here. My igniter has a fresh battery in it. While pulling the pull start the rope came out of it so that will also set me back.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im sorry to say but pull starts are doomed to fail, but even in 100 degree heat the engine is stubborn to start when brand new. so i would try heating it up even further.

if you can afford it go for a bump start set up. a starter box is pretty much a one time investment. i have been using the same box for about 5 years now and still going strong.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

im sorry to say but pull starts are doomed to fail, but even in 100 degree heat the engine is stubborn to start when brand new. so i would try heating it up even further.

if you can afford it go for a bump start set up. a starter box is pretty much a one time investment. i have been using the same box for about 5 years now and still going strong.
+1 on starter box. pullstart= starter box=
Old 07-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

i would go to a starter box if i could. My truck is a big block race slayer. The bb kit leans the motor at an angle to keep a fairly low cg making it so you can only use a pull/spin start.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snowboard094
I primed the motor. I blew threw the fuel line to get fuel to the carb. I didn't think i needed to do the hair dryer thing because is is 100 degrees down here. My igniter has a fresh battery in it. While pulling the pull start the rope came out of it so that will also set me back.
Did you say your ignitor has a fresh battery IN IT? Its not one of those duracell type ignitors is it?

New engines need ignitors twice a strong as a run in engine. Make sure it can get that plug to glow white hot.

Other than that, take it to a local track, I'm sure someone can give you a hand.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Did you say your ignitor has a fresh battery IN IT? Its not one of those duracell type ignitors is it?

New engines need ignitors twice a strong as a run in engine. Make sure it can get that plug to glow white hot.

Other than that, take it to a local track, I'm sure someone can give you a hand.
It is a dynamite glow starter with a d battery in it. It makes the plug glow orange/yellow.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Have you messed with the HSN or LSN (high Speed or low speed needles)? Also make sure your carb idle gap is set right (per your engine manual). If the carb is closed too much, you won't get enough air in to start and run the motor. It may help you to make sure everything is set to what ever the motors stock needle settings are.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:25 PM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you went threw three glow plugs and it won't stay idled then you may have metal shavings in your motor.