Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Question about why my tuning changes when I put the body on? >

Question about why my tuning changes when I put the body on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about why my tuning changes when I put the body on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Question about why my tuning changes when I put the body on?

Hey guys, I'm running a Kyosho MP 777 with an OS .21 VG Motor. I like to tune my buggy with the body off so I can reach the needles easier, but when I put the body back on, the settings are slightly off. I have plenty of airflow, there are holes around the engine and where I refuel. I'm assuming the temperature rises though, and perhaps less air gets into the carb, so is the general solution for this just leaning out both needles by an hour before putting the body on? Is there a simple solution, or is this a case-by-case basis? Give me some opinions please. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lethalsassonic
Hey guys, I'm running a Kyosho MP 777 with an OS .21 VG Motor. I like to tune my buggy with the body off so I can reach the needles easier, but when I put the body back on, the settings are slightly off. I have plenty of airflow, there are holes around the engine and where I refuel. I'm assuming the temperature rises though, and perhaps less air gets into the carb, so is the general solution for this just leaning out both needles by an hour before putting the body on? Is there a simple solution, or is this a case-by-case basis? Give me some opinions please. Thanks!
whats going on? is it loading up? if so on top or down low
Old 07-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

check to make sure your body isn't covering your exhaust pipe. I only say this because I have seen that before!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:38 AM
Tech Initiate

The body is not doing anything to the muffler, and it's not pinching a fuel line, the tuning just changes when I put the body on. I feel the buggy struggles a bit at mid-throttle. Do u guys notice a difference running w/and w/out the body?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hay wat up

no i don't notice a differance

is the car just dieing as you are putting the body on or is it dieing as soon as you put the body on.

if it is dieing as you are putting the body on than it is probebly just ideling to long and has quite(keep the engine reved, every 10 secs just a quick tap)

if it is die as soon as you put the body on it could be cause the pipe is being blocked the air has been retricked or the air filter tube has been kinked. all will make the car stop.

if all else fails go back to stock settings and start again(with the body on) you may just have to change the tune while the car is off and then start it with the body on.

hope this helps
good luck
dane
Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Do you have a clean air filter, I have seen theis case before and the air filter was dirty and was not pulling enough air when the body is on

other than that how are you tuning - are you waiting for it to warm up first or just starting and tuning

and how is the tune changing. what is it doing
Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by cluffy1

is the car just dieing as you are putting the body on or is it dieing as soon as you put the body on.

if it is dieing as you are putting the body on than it is probebly just ideling to long and has quite(keep the engine reved, every 10 secs just a quick tap)

if it is die as soon as you put the body on it could be cause the pipe is being blocked the air has been retricked or the air filter tube has been kinked. all will make the car stop.
It doesn't die as soon as I put the body on, it idles fine, that's not the problem at all, the problem is the tuning is just a bit off when I run it.

Originally Posted by token
Do you have a clean air filter, I have seen theis case before and the air filter was dirty and was not pulling enough air when the body is on

other than that how are you tuning - are you waiting for it to warm up first or just starting and tuning

and how is the tune changing. what is it doing
I always clean the airfilter and then oil it before using the buggy, and if the air filter is nasty I replace it. The exhaust is not blocked at all, it's not that, I warm up the car and measure the temperature before tuning, I know all the basics and follow the book, the buggy just loses a little at mid throttle and top end when I put the body on, does that indicate it's too rich? I'm going to the track Sunday so I want a little gameplan first so I'm not tuning all day long!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

what temps is the motor running at?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by slayyer
what temps is the motor running at?
It seems to run on the hot side, like 250-290 degrees.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

It seems to run on the hot side, like 250-290 degrees.
your to lean -

I know you go by the "book" but what i would do, is reset the needles to the factory settings and retune
Old 07-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I know for a fact that the VG has a small cooling head, and sometimes the body covers the whole cooling head or leaves very little sticking out. That maybe part of your problem. You may also have the engine a bit lean.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

you will have more airflow to the engine with the body off, so if you think about it, the body will slow the airflow around the engine and it will get hotter. i would try riching the engine up 1 hour from ware you tuned it without the body. for this reason i always tune with the body on, then dremel hole in the body so can get to the high speed screw.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

I always clean the airfilter and then oil it before using the buggy, and if the air filter is nasty I replace it.
Dude NEVER EVER clean and reuse air filters all your doing is pushing the fine particles further into the filter. the price of a new filter is far cheaper than risking the price of a new engine.

also like it has been said before it sounds like the body is just reducing air flow
resulting in overheating.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Champion

I had that problem to. My needles were set too far apart. Something like I was way off, too rich on the high end and I compensated by accidentally running the low end too lean and vise versa.

If i screwed it up bad enough, the car would run ok, but was sensitive to everything especially the body being off or on.

I reset to factory and retuned, this time with a less heavy hand on the needles. With the right tune it went away give or take 20 degrees.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
Dude NEVER EVER clean and reuse air filters all your doing is pushing the fine particles further into the filter. the price of a new filter is far cheaper than risking the price of a new engine.

also like it has been said before it sounds like the body is just reducing air flow
resulting in overheating.
Wow, I didn't know that about air filters, I'm gonna toss em when they get dirty now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.