Wiki Posts
Search

cv pin removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
for the guys wanting a link to the breaker here ya go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...motiveQ5fTools
That's awesome, i just found one of these in our tool cart. Now i need to figure out how to get my Xray Hudy pins to wear out.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber
That's awesome, i just found one of these in our tool cart. Now i need to figure out how to get my Xray Hudy pins to wear out.

drive it.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

How wore should they be when you need to replace them?
Old 08-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

I replace mine before the wear is more than a fingernail deep.

Pins are cheap, and you have your driveshafts out often to service bearings, so with a good tool they're easy to replace.

Worn pins will accelerate wear on your outdriveS$$$$$.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Integra
The pin is captured in the main tube...there's NO chance of it "shattering" and "impaling" the user....the breaker works....your tool works....but not as good....let's just say that....that's my opinion deal with it.

for the guys wanting a link to the breaker here ya go.

As for pins you can go mugen or Xray....$for$ and availability i use Mugen pins....12.8 for center bones and 13.8 for wheel bones.
Originally Posted by razo125
I have a bonesaver and I'm happy with the tool. It does the job and fits in my toolbox. I did have a the same problem with the screws breaking and I contacted Ralph by email and he sent me grade 8 replacements no questions asked. The customer support was great.

If the pins are worn to the point that they are thin, you need to grind down the thin part.
UPDATE: I have been very happy with the bonesaver (with hardened screws) while using it for my Losi.

However, I switch chassis and went to Xray and discovered these won't work for xray pins. I heard xray heats the bone and freezes the pins when they are initially made. This makes for a much tighter fit.

I destroyed 2 pins and my hardened screws before I gave up on the bonesaver.

My friend popped them right out with the Hudy tool. Now should I get the Hudy tool so I don't have to worry about it? Or should I try the chain breaker? I can only afford to do this right once so I'm leaning towards the Hudy unless someone knows a cheaper alternative.

Cory: Did you ever purchase the chain breaker for your Xray? How is that working out for you?

Integra: Can you post a new link for the chain breaker? The old one is out of date.

BTW: I dont want to trash the bonesaver. As I said earlier, it worked great for me on my Losi. It just doesn't work on Xray pins.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

I found the chain breaker in my shop. I haven't used it yet, but i would imagine it would work great.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Razo if your using the hudy replacement pins try dremeling the end flat before you try to push it out.The hudy pins are round on the ends so if the bolt that you use to drive the pin out is slipping off to the side it causes the pin to break.
I use the mugen pins for this reason as they are flat on both sides.A little heat with the heat gun also helps them come out easier.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jackie_W
Razo if your using the hudy replacement pins try dremeling the end flat before you try to push it out.The hudy pins are round on the ends so if the bolt that you use to drive the pin out is slipping off to the side it causes the pin to break.
I use the mugen pins for this reason as they are flat on both sides.A little heat with the heat gun also helps them come out easier.
Do you have the part # or a link to amain for the Mugen pins that fit an Xray808?
Old 09-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I found the chain breaker in my shop. I haven't used it yet, but i would imagine it would work great.
that's the one.

Originally Posted by Jackie_W
another good reason for the breaker which "captures" the pin and WILL not allow the press pin to go cock eyed and slip off.

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Do you have the part # or a link to amain for the Mugen pins that fit an Xray808?
center's are 12.8
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...28mm-Joint-Pin

Wheel bones are 13.8
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...13mm-Joint-Pin