Wiki Posts
Search

Go Tech .21 5 Port Race Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Go Tech .21 5 Port Race Engine

it boast 44k rpm and 2.7 hp i think at 36k, might be wrong, if that is right that sounds bad ass. how does this enine compare to other top engines. Sounds good anyway at 209$ bucks, is it as good at the 3 to 5 hundred dollar engines?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Simply.....YES.

I had a 7-port thought it was great, then i got a 5-port thanks to a local who turned me to the 5-port. GREAT power band. launches my buggy hard. And i keep up with everybody with no power problems (although there is a skill problem ) I've got 3gallons on mine and it's still AMAZING.

Only problem I have with them, is they are a PAIN IN THE A#% to get started for break in. I burned up my Losi Box trying to (even after pre-heating it) so i went to the Blue OFNA Truggy box... LOVE IT. All this is in a 8ight 1.0
Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Great mill esspecially at the price. Last year a guy ran his truggy will this mill and the v-specs had nothing on it. I'm running one in my buggy this year and when race tuned nobody can pull away from me.

Two issues with Go Techs:

1st tons of mechanical pinch, you must heat this mill while startining.

2nd read up on the go tech thread on tuning. Depending on the size of the lsn it tunes backwards than regular carbs. For 3 bucks replace it with the short lsn and it tunes like normal.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

so if they are so good, how come they are not more popular? especially for the price. I was strugling with getting either a ninja another vspec or speed. You say this engine is just as good? How bout the life span? I almost find that hard to believe. Time to read up on it now.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

with the vspec power your used to id get a 7 port. there was a big go wave last spring when go techs come out. 5 ports have torque better for truggy. they are kind of like vspecs and have and had issues with there old carb and have weak rods but with the experience youv had this might be a good engine you can grab and let your os rest for a bit
Old 07-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The weak rods came about from those thinking they did not have to heat the mill during break in and up to the first gallon. These had so much mechanical pinch if not heated they would strech the brass sleeve in the rod. I heated mine thru the first gallon and have had good luck. I did not heat my .25 6 port in my truggy and had to replace my con rod.

Every mill seems to be a flavor of the month type of thing. Once so many are sold you then hear this was bad or this happened. Go's live up to their hype.

Last edited by jazjato; 07-29-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dreaux
so if they are so good, how come they are not more popular? especially for the price. I was strugling with getting either a ninja another vspec or speed. You say this engine is just as good? How bout the life span? I almost find that hard to believe. Time to read up on it now.
the main reason is that they don't have any top drivers sponsered ( by this I mean guys like drake mayfeild etc). although in most countries outside the states they are getting more popular all the time

I've been running GO's since the Gen1 model and I have been through all the teething problems with the carbs never had a rod problem, also the lastest gen carbs are pretty much bullet proof. my first 7port I got over 12 gallons out of and yes it was bloody tight to run in but they have eased the pinch to make runin a bit easier.

Also there is a completely new run about to be released called the GX series they come with a hard coated crank, wrist pin, carb slide, lightened cooling head and a set of 4 restrictors. Sounds like they will increase slightly in price but will now be on par for qaulity of parts with OS Speed Ninja etc and will still be alot cheeper

check out the official go engines thread there are losts of guys willing to help out with any questions you may have.

Adrian
Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

from what i know only the 7-port has the Long LSN. The 5 has the more traditional short LSN. I myself liked the Long LSN. I thought i liked the 7-port with the high end power but i like the torque of the 5-port more. the tracks i normally run on are technical. NOT really TIGHT, just technical. I couldn't keep the RPM up as much so i was loosing a lot of power with the 7-port. The 5-port is great for a technical track. If your tracks are more open and your on wide open a lot I'd go for the 7-port. If your off throttle letting it roll then back on throttle I'd get the 5-port. Just my .02
Old 07-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Fletcher6371
from what i know only the 7-port has the Long LSN. The 5 has the more traditional short LSN. I myself liked the Long LSN. I thought i liked the 7-port with the high end power but i like the torque of the 5-port more. the tracks i normally run on are technical. NOT really TIGHT, just technical. I couldn't keep the RPM up as much so i was loosing a lot of power with the 7-port. The 5-port is great for a technical track. If your tracks are more open and your on wide open a lot I'd go for the 7-port. If your off throttle letting it roll then back on throttle I'd get the 5-port. Just my .02
in the states ALL the GO range should have the short needle as thats what the importer has specified for atleast a year now. Just Make sure that the serial # starts with US and it should have the short needle if not it is a parrelel import or old stock

in our country All the range has the long needle as thats what our importer specified

Adrian
Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

go tech makes a good engine dont get me wrong. seems like last summer everybody was running one. all of them that i was around(at least 10) never had any problems at all. when the bad carb thing was around everybody was putting an os 21j on there. the only other thing i seen wrong was an air filter came off and packed the engine with dirt all user error. that happened to the guy that runs atomic hobbies in this area and his distibuter sent him a whole new engine free even though it was his fault. go techs are nice.
Originally Posted by jazjato
The weak rods came about from those thinking they did not have to heat the mill during break in and up to the first gallon. These had so much mechanical pinch if not heated they would strech the brass sleeve in the rod. I heated mine thru the first gallon and have had good luck. I did not heat my .25 6 port in my truggy and had to replace my con rod.

Every mill seems to be a flavor of the month type of thing. Once so many are sold you then hear this was bad or this happened. Go's live up to their hype.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Matt Gosch has been running the Ebm5 5 port Go for a few months now, he was in the 1/2 final at the Roar Nationals. He is running the Eb race prep which is just a 5 port with ceramic bearings and a nitrided crank, not modded.
As far as durability they last a long time, they hold there pinch as good as anything out there. The cranks last way better than a std. V-spec but not quite as good as a Nova/ Rb/ or Grp. The new ones out in Aug. will have a coated crank. The replacement parts are cheap, a rod is only 18.69.
As someone stated the Us. versions have had the shorter low speed needle for over a year now and tune much easier.

Rex