R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #16
Tech Addict

The only practice I had before my first race was that mornings session. Just remember, "slower is faster". You're better off running conservative and running a nice tight line, and keeping it rubber side down, than going crazy and having to be marshalled a lot and getting in the way. As for moving over for faster guys. I was told when I first started by the better drivers at my track not to try to get out of the way. Just run a clean line and they won't have any trouble getting by. A lot of times, if you try to pull out of the way, they close on you faster than you expected and you end up IN the way.
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its is the most fun you can have with RC cars just being around a lot of people that injoy the same things you do and talking about the hobby you love is the best part but if you are going to race lock tight will be your best friend lock tight everything it helps.

Team Associated B4.1 reedy 8.5, R10 Pro
Team Associated T4.1 OHP 17.5, Tekin RS
Team Associated B44.1 reedy 6.5, R10 Pro
smittyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

jhipps, just go on wednesday night and race! god damn it...

wednesdays are a much more relaxed atmosphere than on some weekends, so your inadvertent hacks will be more tolerated. that is all you need to know, just stay out of everyones way, follow and learn. practice is no match for just plain racing when it comes to a learning curve.

the next weekend that everyone will race at LH is august 8th for a pro series qualifier. where tempers will be shorter but you can learn the most. but you will be racing the sportsman/intermediate class (right?) and so no worries there.

oh, and when you are racing there that saturday, when in your qualifier if you come across a couple sandbaggers going by the name wilks or Jaydog, feel free to take them out.
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (88%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny t View Post

wednesdays are a much more relaxed atmosphere than on some weekends, so your inadvertent hacks will be more tolerated. that is all you need to know, just stay out of everyones way, follow and learn. practice is no match for just plain racing when it comes to a learning curve.

the next weekend that everyone will race at LH is august 8th for a pro series qualifier. where tempers will be shorter but you can learn the most. but you will be racing the sportsman/intermediate class (right?) and so no worries there.

oh, and when you are racing there that saturday, when in your qualifier if you come across a couple sandbaggers going by the name wilks or Jaydog, feel free to take them out.
Haha, I wish i could go tonight but i still need to do some stuff to the buggy. And plus i dont have a ride up there.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to what_stanger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny t View Post

oh no you di-int!!

+1, I used to practice at the track, but it really doesn't compare to racing. Racing gets you so much more progress, MUCH quicker.
what_stanger? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Drive your pace, remember slow is fast and just focus on driving the track not the other cars. Let the fast ones by cleanly and avoid mistakes till you get up to speed. It get's easier to race overtime but the competition gets tighter !
Old 07-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Jump right in racing is practicing. Its the best practice. You will make mistakes don't sweat it. Best advice I can give you is ask allot of questions always turn marshall and volunteer to do it if need be. Nothing gets you a better rep at a track as being contributor rather than a taker. When they call for the warm up let all the other cars go before you. Sit back and watch them all wreck like its the begining of the race. It's not its just warm up usually about 3 mins. Do just that take your time and warm your car up. When the main starts getting through the first couple of turns without wrecking is very important. you will see a big pile up at the beginning of almost every main in the 1st corner or 2 avoid it.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #23
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

practice makes perfect. i went and raced my new 2.0 t the next day i got it and got second but there were only 4 truggys so practice until you cut your first 2 laps by 7 seconds. thats my method
Oops my bad, you were in my line..
You just got passed.. IN THE AIR!!
Brad.R is offline   Reply With Quote