R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 23
Default O.S. V-spec HELP!

just wondering why the top of my piston has a lot of carbon build up? is it bcuz i am running it lean or too rich? i thought i had it tuned perfectly bcuz i had constant running temps of 210 degrees...after awhile the sleeve had so much carbon build up that it locked up my piston...dissembled it, clean it and now everything works fine...but i still want to know what was the cause of all that carbon build up? is 210 degrees to low??? any suggestions would be helpful...thanks in advance!!!
In3g_z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by In3g_z33 View Post
just wondering why the top of my piston has a lot of carbon build up? is it bcuz i am running it lean or too rich? i thought i had it tuned perfectly bcuz i had constant running temps of 210 degrees...after awhile the sleeve had so much carbon build up that it locked up my piston...dissembled it, clean it and now everything works fine...but i still want to know what was the cause of all that carbon build up? is 210 degrees to low??? any suggestions would be helpful...thanks in advance!!!
I dont know about carbon build up, but my vspec run between 200 and 240 depending on where I am. But After every race I take apart EVERYthing and clea it up, I know after time you will have oil res on the top of the piston, never heard of it locking up 210 is fine but you cant just go off of temp - how is it running how is the idle
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Horizon - TLR 8ight 4.0 - TLR 8ight-T 4.0 - TLR 22 4.0 - Orion
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
Tech Master
 
sugelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 1,124
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by In3g_z33 View Post
just wondering why the top of my piston has a lot of carbon build up? is it bcuz i am running it lean or too rich? i thought i had it tuned perfectly bcuz i had constant running temps of 210 degrees...after awhile the sleeve had so much carbon build up that it locked up my piston...dissembled it, clean it and now everything works fine...but i still want to know what was the cause of all that carbon build up? is 210 degrees to low??? any suggestions would be helpful...thanks in advance!!!
What kind of fuel (brand and %) and glow plug are you using?
__________________
Joe E
SMAC Trac/Dirtburners/Paint by:Snocamel Racing/VP Powermaster Fuel
MP9 TKI3:OS Speed/OS2090/KO RSx servos
ST RR Evo: Ninja BO2/OS 2060/KO RSx servos
sugelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Top of the piston will have some carbon build up. You can cleanit up but it is completly normal. I have never had an engine that did not have this no matter what fuel I use from grp to nova to os and sideinder to odonnell to byrons and now coldfusion. I run coldfusion fuel now which is one of the purest fuels I have ever seen. No color additives or other un necessary additives and there is discoloring on the top of the piston but everywhere else is clean like the engine is new.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Racecrafter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RC Mecca
Posts: 4,138
Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default

Carbon build up is from the castor oil in your fuel. Fuels that are 100% synthetic like Nitrotane and Prime do not carbon up. Depending on your fuel's oil percentage I would tear down and clean the carbon build up off of the top of the piston frequently as well as clean & polish the "button" or compression chamber. Doing this will ensure a clean burn and keep your engine free of pre-detonation.

DO NOT scrape the carbon off, you will have to chemically remove it. I suggest a good carb cleaner or brake cleaner that is acid free.

To polish the button I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish (or brasso or the like). Best method is to install an old glow plug in the button, chuck it in a drill motor and spin it up at a medium speed and polish away.
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Heavy carbon build up is a sign of bad fuel.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Maybe I mis spoke it won't be the first time. Discoloring on the top of the piston is normal right? That's where the combustion occurs so there has to be some color change to the top of the piston. After looking closer it looks like discoloring. So are you guys saying that your piston top and button look shiny and new gallon after gallon?
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
Cory Kerber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

This may help.
__________________
Losi 8ight-Novarossi N21R-Hitec Servos-AKA-M11 Spektrum
*TEAM TERRIBLES*
Cory Kerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Kerber View Post
Thanks.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Maybe I mis spoke it won't be the first time. Discoloring on the top of the piston is normal right? That's where the combustion occurs so there has to be some color change to the top of the piston. After looking closer it looks like discoloring. So are you guys saying that your piston top and button look shiny and new gallon after gallon?
Discoloring yes... Heavy carbon build up no! It's obvious that the piston will discolor some. What you don't want is a thick coating of carbon.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
I dont know about carbon build up, but my vspec run between 200 and 240 depending on where I am. But After every race I take apart EVERYthing and clea it up, I know after time you will have oil res on the top of the piston, never heard of it locking up 210 is fine but you cant just go off of temp - how is it running how is the idle
both low and high end idle seems to be perfectly fine with constant running temps. of 210...
In3g_z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Heavy carbon build up is a sign of bad fuel.
bad fuel? i run byrons 2nd gen fuel....is that bad??? what other better fuel brands is good??? O'donnell?
In3g_z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 23
Default

i have another question...i'm planning to buy another V-spec as for a spare but was wondering what is the difference between the two i have seen before which both had different Item code numbers: one was 13890 and the other was 13895...does that mean that one is like a newer/older version of the other??? i also noticed that the throttle dust cover on the 13890 is blue and black on a 13895...any difference of performance/specs wise between the two???
In3g_z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
DOMIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Posts: 4,034
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by In3g_z33 View Post
bad fuel? i run byrons 2nd gen fuel....is that bad??? what other better fuel brands is good??? O'donnell?
Actually Byrons Gen 2 is GREAT fuel. (So is O'Donnell!) I personally don't run either, but know lots of folks running both with no issues.

Carbon buildup is NOT a defect with the engine... there must be something else going on there. Carbon build up means SOMETHING that is going into the engine is not burning cleanly and completely.

What plug do you run? (I don't run anything but an OS P3 in my VSPEC) Are you putting after run oil in it? If so, how much and how often? What % of nitro do you use? (contrary to what folks will tell you, a VSPEC does NOT need an extra head shim to run 30%) How long has the fuel you are running been open? Has it been exposed to sunlight for any significant period? (bottle sitting in the sun)
__________________
Brad "DOMIT" Smith - I'm not fast, but at least I wreck a lot.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Actually Byrons Gen 2 is GREAT fuel. (So is O'Donnell!) I personally don't run either, but know lots of folks running both with no issues.

Carbon buildup is NOT a defect with the engine... there must be something else going on there. Carbon build up means SOMETHING that is going into the engine is not burning cleanly and completely.

What plug do you run? (I don't run anything but an OS P3 in my VSPEC) Are you putting after run oil in it? If so, how much and how often? What % of nitro do you use? (contrary to what folks will tell you, a VSPEC does NOT need an extra head shim to run 30%) How long has the fuel you are running been open? Has it been exposed to sunlight for any significant period? (bottle sitting in the sun)
i always run OS P3 plugs, 20% nitro and put after run oil (4 drops into carb. and 2 drops through the head when Plug is removed) after EVERY run...the fuel i bought is new and always never been exposed to sunlight and engine is only a month old with only a gallon through the engine...do you think i'm running the engine too rich??? what am i doing wrong???

any other fuel brand that is good?
In3g_z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/12 forum ovalnator Electric On-Road 45705 08-13-2017 01:43 AM
Kyosho v-one rrr doki_doki Nitro On-Road 9839 08-07-2014 03:59 PM
V-ONE S Thread rhandee Nitro On-Road 4584 07-06-2014 06:19 PM
Mugen MTX-3 university_dave Nitro On-Road 17237 12-30-2012 12:16 PM
Kyosho VoneR Thread neons Nitro On-Road 12206 06-29-2012 03:19 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:29 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net