Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
1/8 Nitro's & Electrics...Can they race together? >

1/8 Nitro's & Electrics...Can they race together?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Nitro's & Electrics...Can they race together?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 AM
6th
Tech Initiate

If this is the case, I propose nitros run indoors as well along with the electrics when winter approaches. Personally I treat them as seperate classes, that is why I have both nitro and electric so I could race both indoor and outdoors
Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

At our local track, we usually have enoughof each electric and nitro, so they run separately. This past weekend however, with the threat of rain, we only had 1 electric, and he ran with the nitros. Whenever that happens, they are required to make 1 pit stop in a 15min main, as there are some nitro that can do that. In instances at tracks where no nitro can go on only 1 pit, the elctrics have been forced to make 2 pitstops, just like all the nitro have to...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losiracer78
i understand that you dont like e cars. but they have just as much of a right to run as me you and the next guy thats why its called club racing and not a pro series race or nitro chall, or some other big race. Club racing are for the people that want to have fun and run their cars and trucks just like you and me.
So by your logic, I can race my truggy in the slash class, cause its just club racing. All we want to do is have fun. Its not fair little Billy runs his slash in the slash class and I cant run my nitro truggy in the slash class.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Adim_X
So by your logic, I can race my truggy in the slash class, cause its just club racing. All we want to do is have fun. Its not fair little Billy runs his slash in the slash class and I cant run my nitro truggy in the slash class.
. see thats the thing you want to run two diff size cars in same class thats not what were talking about here were talking about same car diff power plants. so no its not the same and just to let you know there are some clubs that do that because they have to. Right now some club are have to run e buggy with nitro and thats all there is to it. Right now track across the us are closen because track dont have enough money comen in. So in times like this just be happy you have a track to race on.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

At the club level, who cares? Run them both together if the class isn't big enough to stand on its own. The class is still new and a lot of people are still figuring out the kinks. I am sure by end of next year there will be more than enough at most tracks to run seperately.

I can understand the need to keep 'em seperate to pro/national races, but even then I find it a muchado about nothing. Any low end power advantage that an electric has can be overshadowed by other flaws. They aren't all plug and play. 95% of this sport is driver skill regardless of what you are driving. If you are pulling up the rear in the D main, it isn't because some guy shows up with an electric.

1) The cars can run 15-20 minute mains without a battery swap if setup properly. Most electrics aren't because the mfg's are pushing overpowered kits right now. Kind of like running .32's or .28s in your nitro buggy and complaining about mileage.

2) Electrics do flame out - literally. Seriously, batteries come unplugged after casing a jump, motors and speed controls over heat, motor mounts shift, lipo loses a cell, etc. I have had plenty of DNFs for technical issues just like a nitro flaming out.

If running a race longer than 10 minutes, just take a simulated pit stop and keep on trucking.

The class is growing exponentially. Next time you are at the track, try driving an electric. Sure, no smoke and noise, but I am sure the smile on your face will be permanent after pulling the trigger.

We should be encouraging as many folks to come to the tracks as possible.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Here are my thoughts for realz dawgs! haha

In a club scene when there are not enough for a separate class, they can be mixed. However as soon as there are enough electrics to have 5-8 in a heat, they should be by themselves.

They are advantageous because they require no spool up to clear jumps. Most of the ones I have seen blow my os speed away on straightaways. What does this all mean. It means that crappier drivers, can take irregular lines, blow turns, not setup for jumps, and turn lap times on pace with a good nitro driver. Therefore they end up qualifying higher than they truly deserve.

A lot of you guys act like club racing is just a joke. I think that is wrong. Club racing to me is training for large races. Why treat it like a joke. I want the same rules to apply so people are more prepared. In my area we have 4 heats of buggy at most every club race. The A mains have factory drivers taking up the top spots. It is very competitive.

If most of you guys raced as much as you bench talked on rctech, you might understand why mixing them is a problem.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

Adim_x see thats alot better answer and is very true of what you said. if there are enough to run a class then yes they should be in a class of there own. Here in Texas if there are at least 3 car they will run there own class and thats how it should be. I run nitro just like you and yes i dont alway like running with the e buggy or truggys but some times we have to and thats just the way it is. Yes it suck and very much so but i can remember when i was getting in to rc racing and when i would go to the track there wasnt always enough novice to run and i had to run stock or in the mod class and i know the othere guys didnt liek me running with them so i know how everyone feels on both sides of the track
Old 07-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adim_X
Here are my thoughts for realz dawgs! haha

In a club scene when there are not enough for a separate class, they can be mixed. However as soon as there are enough electrics to have 5-8 in a heat, they should be by themselves.

They are advantageous because they require no spool up to clear jumps. Most of the ones I have seen blow my os speed away on straightaways. What does this all mean. It means that crappier drivers, can take irregular lines, blow turns, not setup for jumps, and turn lap times on pace with a good nitro driver. Therefore they end up qualifying higher than they truly deserve.

A lot of you guys act like club racing is just a joke. I think that is wrong. Club racing to me is training for large races. Why treat it like a joke. I want the same rules to apply so people are more prepared. In my area we have 4 heats of buggy at most every club race. The A mains have factory drivers taking up the top spots. It is very competitive.

If most of you guys raced as much as you bench talked on rctech, you might understand why mixing them is a problem.
You are overestimating how much that low end power helps. Simply showing up with an electric is NOT going to make you faster if you can't drive. In fact, in some cases it is a severe disadvantage, particularly on tight tracks. Managing traction is headache with electrics due to the torque. I feel you though, I take club racing serious, but at the end of the day it is just grown men racing toy cars for bowling trophies.

Yes, the electrics have low end power, but most lack brake bias. Many are slightly off balance as well. Again, all that power won't help if you can't drive worth a flip.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Edumakated,

I am not saying a newbie hack, can pick up an electric and instantly beat me out of the A.

My point is that an average driver can be faster with an electric car, because of some of the characteristics of the powerplant. IE, short jump runups, long straights. By gaining time in the these sections, it makes their messups less important. They can blow a turn, and still clear a quick triple out of that turn. Or be way out of shape and sky the grand stand jump. Most tracks I race on, if you miss the line, you miss the jump. Its now double single, instead of triple. This can cost lots of time.

They might only be 1-2 seconds faster a lap than what they would be with a nitro car, but take that over the course of a whole race or qualifying. On a 12 lap qualifying track, thats 15-24 seconds faster than a normal average for them. That means from top of C to mid-bottom of A at my track.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm not too concerned about this topic in the long run. In two years there will be enough 1/8 electrics to keep classes seperate. There is alot of interest in 1/8 electrics contrary to what some believe otherwise companies wouldn't be coming out with new products. One example is look at all the electric conversion kits coming out. It didn't take AE long to come out with the SC8e. There is a renewed demand for electrics.

Nitros took over in the 1990's for the same reason electrics are now grabbing market share - better power/run time to cost ratio. It does appear a tipping point back to electric racing is coming. There is a benefit to electrics gaining ground, nitro manufacturers will lower their prices to compete with electrics sales (or go out of business/ or get out of that business segment.) So nitro racers, don't think everything about electric vehicles are negative. LOL
Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Why not make it like Le Mans. They have like 5 different classes racing at the same time on the same track and it has worked for like, a million years.

It would be like their prototype class. The P1's are racing eachother and at the same time, the P2's are racing eachother.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Semple
Why not make it like Le Mans. They have like 5 different classes racing at the same time on the same track and it has worked for like, a million years.

It would be like their prototype class. The P1's are racing eachother and at the same time, the P2's are racing eachother.
That would be very interesting, it could also be like the baja races but I don't know if any of the RC dirt bike guys would go for it LOL.

We race anything goes the last racing class of the night. It's a really big class 20+ vehicles. It's funny to see a 1/18th scale lined up against an Emaxx LOL.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

At the track I run at each week we normally see enough of both to keep them seperate. Then at the end of the day we run a bragging rights race all 1/8 together.

On a week electric is light we do combine them. They are just required to pit once during a 15 minute main. Funny thing is most of them come in first lap for 4-5 seconds and then run the rest of the race.

Things I've noticed between the two:

No spool up for electric.
No fear "no chance of flame outs they can go for a triple everytime"
No faster top end than nitro, just looks it due to instant power.
Top guy in electric is about a .75-second faster than fastest nitro guy per lap.

Funny thing we have only one or two electric truggys and they race with nitro every week. Those guys never say a word and just go about business.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

theres a electric 8ight t 2.0 at my local race track i think if you bring it race it the only things i think should be mandatory is NO REVERSE and they must make a pit stop and pause just like the nitro if they want to run with the nitro they should run by our rules. the electrics shouldent have a advantage over the nitro there racing in our class 1/8 NITRO truggy/buggy

everyone deserves to race nitro or electric but everyone must stand by the rules in that class
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dadsvtechonda
theres a electric 8ight t 2.0 at my local race track i think if you bring it race it the only things i think should be mandatory is NO REVERSE and they must make a pit stop and pause just like the nitro if they want to run with the nitro they should run by our rules. the electrics shouldent have a advantage over the nitro there racing in our class 1/8 NITRO truggy/buggy

everyone deserves to race nitro or electric but everyone must stand by the rules in that class
What do nitro guys think about putting in a larger gas tank?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.