R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to RC

Hi i am quite new to RC and would like to get to the track near me and possibly do a bit of racing. i am not sure what car would suit my level of racing etc. i am looking at a off-road buggy. i am probably looking to spend about 400 and would prefer to get a kit rather than an RTR but for the price i may have to settle with an RTR, although i would like to know how to put them together to get me knowing everything for if anything goes wrong i have a rough idea of whats possibly broke. i've fixed RC cars in the past so would be a nice challenge. Anyone give me any tips of what to buy to get me racing? i was looking at HoBao Hyper range, good or bad? any ideas what i can get for the price?

Thanks in advance
Click09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Losi 2.0 8ight RTR Buggy.

Not sure the price in Europe but it comes in at $600 in the US, so it should fit in your budget.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That works out to just over $650 USD. You should get the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click09 View Post
Hi i am quite new to RC and would like to get to the track near me and possibly do a bit of racing. i am not sure what car would suit my level of racing etc. i am looking at a off-road buggy. i am probably looking to spend about 400 and would prefer to get a kit rather than an RTR but for the price i may have to settle with an RTR, although i would like to know how to put them together to get me knowing everything for if anything goes wrong i have a rough idea of whats possibly broke. i've fixed RC cars in the past so would be a nice challenge. Anyone give me any tips of what to buy to get me racing? i was looking at HoBao Hyper range, good or bad? any ideas what i can get for the price?

Thanks in advance
If you are brand new to RC i would not suggest getting a gas car for your 1st one. Try starting off with electic, gas cars are great and alot of fun however for someone that is new they can be overwhelming.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Be warned. The Losi Army is going to hammer you to death. I say go to the track and see what is running, see the one you love and get that. After the love has worn off, then find what works for you. Those Losi guys are flat strung out, nothing else works, people. Kinda scary when you think about it. I'm just saying.......
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Working Man View Post
Be warned. The Losi Army is going to hammer you to death. I say go to the track and see what is running, see the one you love and get that. After the love has worn off, then find what works for you. Those Losi guys are flat strung out, nothing else works, people. Kinda scary when you think about it. I'm just saying.......
To a certain degree that is true, but there is nothing else on the market that gets you into a race calibre car, with engine, with pipe, with servos, with radio and receiver all for that price.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Tech Master

Here is a post I made some time ago for someone who asked a similar question:

I just went through this entire exercise and ended up buying the Losi 2.0 RTR 8ight buggy.

I would say a few things:

1) Do not buy the 1.0 8ight - there are enough changes where you should buy 2.0.
2) For your budget, the RTR is the only way to go. The roller is going to run at least $470 more likely $515 or so. Plus you still have to buy the servos + the radio + the engine. These aree easily the most expensive components of the car. The two servos will probably run ~$150 together (if you buy used or chince out on the throttle). The radio is probably $200+ (especially to get the same quality or better as the RTR). The engine is at least $150 and can be as much as $500+ depending on what you get. At this point, you still don't have the starter box.
3) You will need to get hex wrenches. Some people say standard some say metric - I say both. I first bought metric (1.5mm - 3.5mm) in .5 increments. Cost me ~$25 shipped. But there were a few hex heads I couldn't fit. Lucky for me I had a set of hex wrench bits that allowed me to continie until I got the standard set (4 wrenches for ~$25).
4) You will need a charger capable of charging batteries from #5 and the receiver battery included in the RTR. I paid $30 shipped for mine.
5) You will need at least 2 7.2V 3600MaH batteries to power the starter (I paid ~$40 shipped for both together).
6) You will need a glow plug ignitor (I paid $20 shipped for mine).
7) You will need fuel and a fuel bottle (I paid ~$40 shipped for both).

These are all the things you will need. So you will easily get in below $1000.

Once you start to run, you will need replacement parts. I can't help you there since I haven't run long enough to actually break anything yet.

There are a number of hopups available. I bought a few, but at this point, the only ones I recommend are the following (not because I don't recommend anything else, more because this is all I know so far):
1) The two servos (I bough two Hitecs 7955 and 7965). Heard great things about thier customer service and thier products)
2) Aluminum hitec servo arm (LOSA99033):
From Amain
3) Aluminum servo saver arm (LOSA4443)
From Amain
4) Upping your stock clutch from 2 shoes to 4.
5) Racing rear skid plates:
From Amain
6) Racing bump skid
From Amain
7) Quick change motor mount (LOSA9155)
From Amain

I would also recommend you read the 8ight 2.0 thread (there is one for the truggy and one for the buggy).
Buggy
Truggy

Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Wow thanks for the very quick replies. i'm not completely new to nitro rc i already have a touring car but it isn't great and only tracks around are off-road. New to the off-road buggy scene, went to the nationals yesterday and many people running Losi, Baohabo hyper 9, 8.5 pro, xray 808, no where near standards kits either.

ive got the usual glow starter, fuel tools etc.

Never really looked at losi don't know why not have found one RTR 380 with Spektrum 2.0 controller seems quite nice. would you say the losi 8ight is better than the habao hyper 8.5 brca edition RTR.

Losi - www[dot]benracing[dot]co[dot]uk/acatalog/Team_Losi_8ight_4wd_Competition_Buggy_RTR.html

Hyper 8.5 - www[dot]modelsport[dot]co[dot]uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=29791

Thanks again
Click09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If you are dead set on RTR and racing or track running...There is nothing close to the Losi 2.0, I am by no means a Losi fanboy..I run XRAY, but Losi really has raised the bar with their 2.0 RTR..It's just that good!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
If you are dead set on RTR and racing or track running...There is nothing close to the Losi 2.0, I am by no means a Losi fanboy..I run XRAY, but Losi really has raised the bar with their 2.0 RTR..It's just that good!
+1 as much as i hate to give Losi props, i have to agree that thier RTR kit is hard to beat. ive heard the motor that it comes with hauls ass too!

Losi sucks, D8 rules!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #11

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i'm sorry to those who hate seeing all the 'go losi'. its for a reason. i do not like nitro, but i have a ton of friends who do. they want me to run and not just hang out or be their pit guy (although they like that). so i didnt feel like blowin a wad of cash on a full tilt racing kit all done up, but instead somethin i could just run when i went to race nitro, have fun and call it a day. losi 2.0. there was a full Cmain at this shootout in town last saturday. but i didnt have to concern myself with the Cmain. I have qualified for the Amain.....ON TIME!!!! So dont feel like its some castrated, looks like the racer only, POS w/a crap radio. its the deal and all the other manufs are tryin to figure out what to do to match it. and the best they can prolly come up with is posting on threads like this some other car or just running interference on all the 'go losi' posts.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Everyone has "thier" brand but for the price and design, nobody beats Losi. Not the longest lasting but easily the best starting price since it comes with a great radio and bump box. People can win with different brands but not for the price Losi can get you going for.
Many places also carry a whole bunch of Losi products since they sell worldwide so it's easy to get parts.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
i'm sorry to those who hate seeing all the 'go losi'. its for a reason. i do not like nitro, but i have a ton of friends who do. they want me to run and not just hang out or be their pit guy (although they like that). so i didnt feel like blowin a wad of cash on a full tilt racing kit all done up, but instead somethin i could just run when i went to race nitro, have fun and call it a day. losi 2.0. there was a full Cmain at this shootout in town last saturday. but i didnt have to concern myself with the Cmain. I have qualified for the Amain.....ON TIME!!!! So dont feel like its some castrated, looks like the racer only, POS w/a crap radio. its the deal and all the other manufs are tryin to figure out what to do to match it. and the best they can prolly come up with is posting on threads like this some other car or just running interference on all the 'go losi' posts.

R

Yes losi's are good but its NOT the car that wins the races. 90 percent is your driving skill, the other 10 percent might be the vehicle. Just saying, but their are plenty of other vehicles out there that are cheaper than that and are just as reliable!!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #14

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

thats a given, but what is also a given...is the package they give you vs the others. cant be beat. a starter box (no rotos or pull cords, oneway bearings), a premium radio u want to throw away right away, race proven platform that shares complete transparency with the 'race' model, a legal motor that runs very well, a rx pack instead of silly AA box, well built and loctited where proper. al lin a package even a novice can deal with. at 625, i'm sorry its a catalyst that we'll see years from now as a watershed where companies need to up their game on what they offered ready to run.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote