R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #16
Tech Master
 
megasaxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lake City, PA
Posts: 1,715
Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)
Send a message via AIM to megasaxon Send a message via Yahoo to megasaxon
Default

how many people are see inaccuracies with their raytech guns? 30 degrees off? in which direction usually, hotter or colder? Mine seems to be pretty accurate, but tends to show hotter than the real cheap ones at the track...
__________________
Team Associated RC10GT
Team Associated RC10GT2
megasaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:25 AM   #17
Tech Adept
 
sirKandal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NORWAY
Posts: 190
Default

I just got a Fluke 62 and it's great, you can get it for around 100$.
It's a little more expensive but you can trust the readings.

Link to Fluke 62

__________________
KYOSHO MP9TKI2WCE / OS Speed/ Radiopost
TEAM TERRIBLES Minicar.no
sirKandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #18
Tech Master
 
Garet Jax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,332
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirKandal View Post
I just got a Fluke 62 and it's great, you can get it for around 100$.
It's a little more expensive but you can trust the readings.

Link to Fluke 62

Thanks for the suggestion. If and when my PE1 stops working, I will look closely at this.
__________________
I am not a "Tech Master" nor even close. I simply have a lot of posts. If you want some sage advice, the only that I can give is don't listen to me.
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
Tech Addict
 
steve307b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Kerber View Post
My PE-1 was 3 degress different than an Exergen.
Do you point the laser right on the glow plug or on top of the cooling head, and about how far away to get an accurate reading? I usually hold mine about 3 inches away from the glow plug and saturday at the races mine was about 25 degrees off from one of the 250$ guns.
__________________
8ight-T 3.0 **FX Royal Engine** 2013- Savox 1267/Hitec 7950

Henchman racing
DX4R
steve307b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #20
Tech Regular
 
markr04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 421
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve307b View Post
Do you point the laser right on the glow plug or on top of the cooling head, and about how far away to get an accurate reading? I usually hold mine about 3 inches away from the glow plug and saturday at the races mine was about 25 degrees off from one of the 250$ guns.
Move it around until you've read the hottest temperature. The glow plug is the hottest, but those lasers are like anything else: They're not pointed at the same exact spot that the infrared sensor is.
__________________
Xray 808 2010 Spec - O.S. V-Spec Speed - Airtronics M11-DSSS
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 - RB Killer 9 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
Losi XXX-CR - Tekin RS / Novak Ballistic 13.5 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #21
Tech Regular
 
markr04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 421
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I have gone through 2 odonnel guns and they work for awhile and then become inaccurate.
I went through this as well. My inexpensive gauge got progressively colder. The I figured out what the problem was: dirt, dust, etc.

Clean the sensor area well until it's as shiny as a show car's chrome bumper. It will read much more accurately. I tested my inexpensive one after cleaning against my Exergen... only 2f difference (@ 200f). Before cleaning, it was reading ~20f cooler.
__________________
Xray 808 2010 Spec - O.S. V-Spec Speed - Airtronics M11-DSSS
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 - RB Killer 9 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
Losi XXX-CR - Tekin RS / Novak Ballistic 13.5 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #22
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

I know the only accurate temp gun out there is the exergen. I just can't see spending 250+ on an item that is only used as a double check for a lean running engine. I can tell when my engine leans out and the result is a high temp. I just us my temp gun to make me feel better about how I have tuned my engine. As long as there's no lean bog or high lean idle, I het good smoke out of the pipe and the power response is good it is tuned right. When I come in the pit and my pit guy takes the temp it just reassures me that I have it tuned right. So spending 1/2 of another RC car on a temp gun just sounds a little over board. I am sure eventually I will pick one up when I can't find anything else to spend my money on and the bug starts bugging again (once every 2 weeks or so). But for now I'm good with the 25 dollar version. I have bought enouf temp guns to equal the exergen but we never put that togeather at the time.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #23
Tech Regular
 
markr04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 421
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I know the only accurate temp gun out there is the exergen. I just can't see spending 250+ on an item that is only used as a double check for a lean running engine. I can tell when my engine leans out and the result is a high temp. I just us my temp gun to make me feel better about how I have tuned my engine. As long as there's no lean bog or high lean idle, I het good smoke out of the pipe and the power response is good it is tuned right. When I come in the pit and my pit guy takes the temp it just reassures me that I have it tuned right. So spending 1/2 of another RC car on a temp gun just sounds a little over board. I am sure eventually I will pick one up when I can't find anything else to spend my money on and the bug starts bugging again (once every 2 weeks or so). But for now I'm good with the 25 dollar version. I have bought enouf temp guns to equal the exergen but we never put that togeather at the time.
I can understand that. The Exergen was a tax refund treat for myself, not something I would have bought otherwise.

But try the cleaning thing. It made my inexpensive Ofna gauge read much more accurately.
__________________
Xray 808 2010 Spec - O.S. V-Spec Speed - Airtronics M11-DSSS
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 - RB Killer 9 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
Losi XXX-CR - Tekin RS / Novak Ballistic 13.5 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #24
Tech Regular
 
RJNicholson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Allen, TX (another burb of Dallas)
Posts: 371
Default

I would buy the Fluke one IMO.

Anyone that has ever worked in the Trade/Electrical industry can tell you that Fluke tools are top notch and second to none.

They make everything from Voltage Meters to 5000 dollar Laser measurement tools for Civial Engineers. I would most likely go with a cheaper Fluke then some $250 temp gun that doesn't have a track list of success like Fluke does.

(I understand Exergen has been proven by racers, but you can't beat the following of almost every electrician/craftsman/engineer or trade worker for that matter.)

Fluke has been around since I was a kid, and you don't stick around that long in their industry by making shitty products.
__________________
*Team Terribles*
Rigs Listed Below
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/BCE Chassis/OS VZB *Sleeper*/RE11/JRHV Servos/KHZ
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #25
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,175
Default

Exergen only does temperature equipment. Medical specifically.They know what they are doing. http://www.exergen.com/. Get what you feel comfortable with for checking your engine temp. Knowing what your engine is running at without doing math is nice.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #26
Tech Regular
 
markr04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 421
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJNicholson View Post
I would buy the Fluke one IMO.

Anyone that has ever worked in the Trade/Electrical industry can tell you that Fluke tools are top notch and second to none.

They make everything from Voltage Meters to 5000 dollar Laser measurement tools for Civial Engineers. I would most likely go with a cheaper Fluke then some $250 temp gun that doesn't have a track list of success like Fluke does.

(I understand Exergen has been proven by racers, but you can't beat the following of almost every electrician/craftsman/engineer or trade worker for that matter.)

Fluke has been around since I was a kid, and you don't stick around that long in their industry by making shitty products.
Exergen doesn't make products for racers. The DX501 is nice for the purpose we use it for, but Exergen makes products for medical and industrial use. They're incredibly highly accurate and that's why it's so expensive.

Fluke makes excellent products too, of course. One of my businesses uses Fluke products for circuit diagnostics. Comparing to Exergen is like apples and oranges, but the Fluke products we use are also highly accurate and expensive.
__________________
Xray 808 2010 Spec - O.S. V-Spec Speed - Airtronics M11-DSSS
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 - RB Killer 9 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
Losi XXX-CR - Tekin RS / Novak Ballistic 13.5 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #27
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr04 View Post
Exergen doesn't make products for racers. The DX501 is nice for the purpose we use it for, but Exergen makes products for medical and industrial use. They're incredibly highly accurate and that's why it's so expensive.

Fluke makes excellent products too, of course. One of my businesses uses Fluke products for circuit diagnostics. Comparing to Exergen is like apples and oranges, but the Fluke products we use are also highly accurate and expensive.
Fluke does make good products. I just cant imagine how much better this temp gun is, it looks the same as the raytec and rite temp and several others that look identical.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #28
Tech Regular
 
RJNicholson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Allen, TX (another burb of Dallas)
Posts: 371
Default

Ahhh Ha...

See it pays to put your .02 in you learn something every day.

Didn't know Exergen was for Medical use. (Didn't look them up before I commented) Makes perfect sense as to why its expensive and to why its very accurate. Good info to know.

Still I wouldn't pay that much when you can get a Fluke one for cheaper and they make the same quailty product.

I personally like my Losi Temp driver. Just because it has the rubber piece to fit in your cooling head and it doubles as a good fly wheel stopper to kill the engine, and comes complete with a extended flat head to tune your engine on the fly.

But just as everyone has said before. Each time I go out to drive my ear gets better at tuning by sound and watching the smoke and not Temp. I just use temp to make sure my engines are getting to an optimum heat range.


I would bet Fluke would have a better warranty as well seeing that the Exergen company might not want to warranty a temp gun when they see it wasn't used to temp a kids forehead. Fluke on the other hand makes their products for the field and they expect them to be beat up and used to the max. I could be wrong though, but I'm not paying that much to find out. lol
__________________
*Team Terribles*
Rigs Listed Below
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/BCE Chassis/OS VZB *Sleeper*/RE11/JRHV Servos/KHZ
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #29
Tech Regular
 
RJNicholson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Allen, TX (another burb of Dallas)
Posts: 371
Default

The design might be similar, but its about what company puts better quality electronics inside their equipment. (sensors, lasers, microchips)

Fluke would be one for sure that does this.

Exergen would as well seeing they are a Medical company, and if they cut corners they wouldn't be a reputable as they are.

All these other ones that are 30-40 bucks I'm sure use 3rd rate electronics to get production cost down that low. Some may get one that happens to be a beast and work for 10 years others get one that works for a week and then is garbage. Its the way of electronics, and its hit or miss.

Also, I bet you won't get a nice warranty with those 40 dollar temp guns. You buy a fluke or anything above 100 bucks I would be shocked if they didn't have some sort of 2+ year warranty.
__________________
*Team Terribles*
Rigs Listed Below
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/BCE Chassis/OS VZB *Sleeper*/RE11/JRHV Servos/KHZ
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #30
Tech Regular
 
markr04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 421
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJNicholson View Post
Also, I bet you won't get a nice warranty with those 40 dollar temp guns. You buy a fluke or anything above 100 bucks I would be shocked if they didn't have some sort of 2+ year warranty.
That's the truth .

The Exergen DX501 has a 2-year warranty.

Fluke products come with 2-year, 3-year, or Lifetime warranties. Nice.

We're near each other, lol. Do you race at Indy RC World?
__________________
Xray 808 2010 Spec - O.S. V-Spec Speed - Airtronics M11-DSSS
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 - RB Killer 9 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
Losi XXX-CR - Tekin RS / Novak Ballistic 13.5 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TT-01 Forum mailboxck Electric On-Road 2520 08-07-2017 02:28 PM
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro On-Road 9643 11-16-2016 03:11 AM
Fantom Engine Manual = ABC Engine Bible Horatio Monster Trucks 9 02-05-2007 07:35 AM
Eagle racing CDC charger adamkerrnz Electric On-Road 58 04-12-2005 02:07 PM
Electric vs Nitro pede Electric Off-Road 154 05-18-2004 08:20 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:10 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net