Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default os speed and speed II?

what is the difference between the 2 besides the head? thanks 4 the help
Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the only other difference is a smaller carb restrictor.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Just the head and the restrictors thats is, and the head just has holes drilled in it. Its pretty much the same engine. I love it.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hey Frank L I'm Putting a V-SPEC PRO-MOD in my 8ight-t 2.0. What carb in sert are you using?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Aren't the carbs slightly different?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000
Aren't the carbs slightly different?
You may be right. My Speed came with the 21H carb, but my Speed is two years old. More recent V-Specs and Speeds come with the 21J carb. I suppose it depends on how old the "regular" Speed is. Retailers may have some old stock.

I happen to be working on a document that includes info on the differences between the 21H (from my 2-year-old Speed) and 21J (from my V-Spec). Again, this is only applicable if the retailer has Speeds that have the old carb.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Cool OS V-SPEC SPEED

Rather than start another thread, I thought I would ask this question on this thread..I have the alloy head speed, which I purchased on 18/1/08, how many litres of fuel thru this type of mota before replacing
bearings,conrod? I had mota appart recently and found, that the bottom bushing on the rod,was slightly eliptical(Replace?),also the piston/liner look fine,compression is good, So since purchasing till now, approx 17 litres of fuel
have passed thru this mota, so at a guess I will replace rod/bearings...
Any input would be greatly appreciated...cheers...
Old 08-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i got mine in early december of 08. i have 12 gallons in mine. i just pinched the engine(rematched piston and sleeve,p/sl are back to factory compression), i have also had the bearings replaced once at 7 gallons. i will be replacing the conrod after the engine is broken in again

i would say 10 gallons is a good estiment for the engine, it all depends on how well you keep the tune, clutch, ect.

im guilty of running my engines a bit too lean on the bottom end, this is why im having to replace bearings, recompress p/sl. ect. This is also why im having some one else check out and tune my engine now
Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GRANPA 67
Rather than start another thread, I thought I would ask this question on this thread..I have the alloy head speed, which I purchased on 18/1/08, how many litres of fuel thru this type of mota before replacing
bearings,conrod? I had mota appart recently and found, that the bottom bushing on the rod,was slightly eliptical(Replace?),also the piston/liner look fine,compression is good, So since purchasing till now, approx 17 litres of fuel
have passed thru this mota, so at a guess I will replace rod/bearings...
Any input would be greatly appreciated...cheers...
I'd say replace the rod and the bearings like you are planning. The reason for the rod is so that you lessen the wear on the crank pin due to the bushing being worn. The bearing is preventive maintenance, especially if the stock bearing has a little slop in it.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Tech Master

Cool

Originally Posted by CHogle
i got mine in early december of 08. i have 12 gallons in mine. i just pinched the engine(rematched piston and sleeve,p/sl are back to factory compression), i have also had the bearings replaced once at 7 gallons. i will be replacing the conrod after the engine is broken in again

i would say 10 gallons is a good estiment for the engine, it all depends on how well you keep the tune, clutch, ect.

im guilty of running my engines a bit too lean on the bottom end, this is why im having to replace bearings, recompress p/sl. ect. This is also why im having some one else check out and tune my engine now
Thanx for your input,my mota has a bit of life left in it then? As I stated
it has had approx 17litres(4.5gallons)of fuel thru it, so I will do rod/bearings
just to be on the safe side...thanx again guys...
Old 08-22-2009, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Thanx for your input,my mota has a bit of life left in it then? As I stated
it has had approx 17litres(4.5gallons)of fuel thru it, so I will do rod/bearings
just to be on the safe side...thanx again guys...
Thats about what I have threw mine, I am getting ready to take it apart and do the bearings and possibly the rod if it needs it. I will probably replace the rod with the O.S Speed rod as its suposed to be stronger.

Nick
Old 08-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markr04
You may be right. My Speed came with the 21H carb, but my Speed is two years old. More recent V-Specs and Speeds come with the 21J carb. I suppose it depends on how old the "regular" Speed is. Retailers may have some old stock.

I happen to be working on a document that includes info on the differences between the 21H (from my 2-year-old Speed) and 21J (from my V-Spec). Again, this is only applicable if the retailer has Speeds that have the old carb.

+1

All of the newer speed 1's came with the 21JS carb. The updated version is part number 13897(old one is 13894).
Old 08-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Cool

Originally Posted by FactoryRacing23
Thats about what I have threw mine, I am getting ready to take it apart and do the bearings and possibly the rod if it needs it. I will probably replace the rod with the O.S Speed rod as its suposed to be stronger.

Nick
Thanx for your input Nick, I have the Speed, I gather you have the normal
v-spec(blue head)? If so, I would look at other threads regarding putting a
Speed rod into it, coz as far as I know you have to put the crank in also,
As the speed rod has oil hole in it, where as the normal v-spec doesn`t..
Ask around for more info if ur not sure,Better to be safe,than sorry....
Old 08-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Addict

Thanx for your input Nick, I have the Speed, I gather you have the normal
v-spec(blue head)? If so, I would look at other threads regarding putting a
Speed rod into it, coz as far as I know you have to put the crank in also,
As the speed rod has oil hole in it, where as the normal v-spec doesn`t..
Ask around for more info if ur not sure,Better to be safe,than sorry....
You can put the speed rod in no problem in a standard VZB, it's when you the speed crank with a standard rod is where you'll run into problems. The standard crank has a oil hole in the crank pin, and the speed does not. However, in the speed, the rod has a oil hole near the lower bushing. The stock VZB rod does not have a oil hole drilled into the rod. The addition of the extra oil hole in the speed rod should not pose a problem, it would add more lubrication to the bushing if anything.

Last edited by gotspeed_2000; 08-22-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Cool

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000
You can put the speed rod in no problem in a standard VZB, it's when you the speed crank with a standard rod is where you'll run into problems. The standard crank has a oil hole in the crank pin, and the speed does not. However, in the speed, the rod has a oil hole near the lower bushing. The stock VZB rod does not have a oil hole drilled into the rod. The addition of the extra oil hole in the speed rod should not pose a problem, it would add more lubrication to the bushing if anything.
Thanx for that info gotspeed2000, I wasn`t 100% sure, I may have to look into doin that myself, as I have a standard v-spec that needs a rebuild,
but my speed will get new rod first,as I am currently running this mota...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.