Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
My, my... How things have changed... (back into r/c after a 5 year hiatus) >

My, my... How things have changed... (back into r/c after a 5 year hiatus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My, my... How things have changed... (back into r/c after a 5 year hiatus)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default My, my... How things have changed... (back into r/c after a 5 year hiatus)

Hey everyone... I've been away from the hobby for the past 5 years or so (last r/c forum I was particularly active in was the old HPI forum, 'ya know, when it was still an 'open' forum rather than an HPI tech support tool). Anyway, my wife and I just moved from Saratoga, CA out to the desert (Palmdale, CA) and I've decided that this would be a good time to get back into the swing of things (helps that I'm working remotely now and will probably have a lot more free time than I did previously... gotta take a breather from computer water cooling some time ).

I've been building and working on r/c cars since I was 13 (first kit was a Tamiya Blazing Star...ah, memories), did a little bit of racing in the past but found that I always had more fun bashing with friends (even at tracks), and I also took care of most of the build/repair work for friends and neighborhood kids. One of the most rewarding parts of the hobby for me was actually building the cars myself and maintaining them... which is why I'm somewhat surprised to see the direction that the various manufacturers have taken. It looks to me like pretty much everyone has killed off their nitro kit offerings and those who still offer them have cut out all of price points save FT (or equivalent). The industry shifting focus from the 1/10th scale that I've been running practically forever to more expensive 1/8th scale vehicles is also somewhat disheartening. As a business person, I can understand the reasons for the changes but that doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it

Anyway, I sold off nearly all of my r/c gear years ago except for a spare RC10-T3 that someone had given to me for tearing down and rebuilding their RC10-GT. I pulled the car out of a box this evening and decided to run it in the new back yard, where it was very quickly defeated by the 35-ish degree desert/dirt slope coming off the lawn (which I had been thinking would be a lot of fun with any of the nitro trucks I used to have). The T3 couldn't manage to make it more than about 6 feet up the slope before it dug itself a hole with the rear tires and quit moving (Pro-Line M2 Hole Shots, in case anyone cares).

Given that utter defeat, I think I've resigned myself to being okay with tearing apart and rebuilding a RTR since they seem to be the only thing available at a sane price point in the 1/8th scale arena, despite the extra hassle. I'm currently eying one (or perhaps two), OFNA Hyper 7 TQ Black RTR(s) since they seem to be well priced for my purposes (mainly bashing) and I'm somewhat familiar with the Hyper 7 chassis. Now, I haven't really seen much OFNA/HoBao love around here and I'm not sure what the local availability is like for Hyper 7 parts given the platform's age (still have some checking to do) but it doesn't seem like a bad choice to me.

With all that has changed, is there something that I'm overlooking/haven't stumbled across yet (company, particular kit, etc.) that I should know about?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 07-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I am in the same boat as you. I stopped after the birth of my little guy little over 4 years ago. Ran 1/8 scale but the compettion was light as it was too expensive.

Moved to touring cars but quickly got sick of nimh cyclings, motor trueings, etc to stay competitve for a hobby..

Now, I am back after spending 2 plus k over the past 2 months. (more than my first real car).

Have fun, the technology has changed. I would lean more towards the losi rtr 1/8th scale line up. I believe they come with spektrum controllers? and seam to have good reviews and parts support

The dsm world is amazing at the price. I still have a mint m-8 with rec and crystals but now: bind and forget for a couple hundred bucks.

Lipos, brushless...technology is amazing

I was a avid guy with hpi back then and went to some of the challenges so I am giving there d8 and d8t line up a chance for now.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Arrow

I'm pretty much like you. Not a racer but a kit builder and maintenance type of hobbyist. When given the chance to compete, it's mostly to have fun and race with other locals at my track. But my passion is assembling the kits and running them for the very first time and just looking at it fully assembled and body painted with decals.....just an awesome feeling of accomplishment for me.

If you're looking for a kit to build and you loved building your first Tamiya kit....check out the TRF801x nitro buggy (not a RTR though).

Welcome back to the hobby!!!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JRRobiso
If you're looking for a kit to build and you loved building your first Tamiya kit....check out the TRF801x nitro buggy (not a RTR though).
That kit doesn't seem bad... but $600 for just a chassis goes back to my comments about the cost of 1/8th scale and how it seems the actual kit cars now carry a hefty premium. It's good to see Tamiya making some cool stuff, though
Old 07-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check out the Hot Bodies D8 kit if you want a buggy that is tough drives very well and can find them at just over $300.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you are going with an RTR, the losi's are the only option IMO. Nothing comes close to what is included with the losi's.

Check them out...

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=12643
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=13200

If you are just bashing, a truggy would be a better bet than the buggies.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Petra
That kit doesn't seem bad... but $600 for just a chassis goes back to my comments about the cost of 1/8th scale and how it seems the actual kit cars now carry a hefty premium. It's good to see Tamiya making some cool stuff, though
I would spend alittle more and go with the ofna 8.5x rtr. its alot more modern then the 7 and only costs alittle more (Ive seen it for around $350).for what you seem to have in mind both ofna rtr's would be fine.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:37 AM
Tech Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Scott51
Check out the Hot Bodies D8 kit if you want a buggy that is tough drives very well and can find them at just over $300.
+ 10 I love my HotBodies D8 kit! Its a great build!
now there are many hop up parts you can get, all together a great buggy. Oh, and it's a KIT!!! And the price isn't to bad on the ol' pocket! And there costomer service is second to none!!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dandrat
I would spend alittle more and go with the ofna 8.5x rtr. its alot more modern then the 7 and only costs alittle more (Ive seen it for around $350).for what you seem to have in mind both ofna rtr's would be fine.
The Hyper 8.5 RTR is a tank. Only thing it needs are better servo's and radio (of course all RTR's need that) and your all set for fun. I'm talkin' about low end not the Losi's. Beleave me, a hundred people will come on here and say get the Losi, but that's why I won't. Just like doing the other way....
Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

For mainly bashing, I would give the CEN Matrix R2 a look, great solid buggy at a great price. Plus the radio and servos are decent for an rtr. cenracing.com
Old 07-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

+1 on the D8!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trail Bruizer
For mainly bashing, I would give the CEN Matrix R2 a look, great solid buggy at a great price. Plus the radio and servos are decent for an rtr. cenracing.com
+1 on the Cen Matrix or if you want a kit, D8
Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Working Man
The Hyper 8.5 RTR is a tank. Only thing it needs are better servo's and radio (of course all RTR's need that) and your all set for fun. I'm talkin' about low end not the Losi's. Beleave me, a hundred people will come on here and say get the Losi, but that's why I won't. Just like doing the other way....
Losi RTR's don't need a new radio. Maybe a steering servo, and swap the stock steering to throttle, but for what he is doing, not sure that is even needed. Just sayin.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:13 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hard to ignore the losi 8-2.0 RTR. good engine, great car thats not castrated compared to the kit version, starter box, spektrum radio with telemetry. yeh she's 625bux. but i'm sorry u just cant beat it. i'm an electric guy who just bought this to have some nitro to run w/my 'nitro' friends. 1st race out, rust and all, yesterday and i put plenty of 'kits' to shame. there was a full Cmain, but that didnt concern me b/c i had to wait til the end of the day to run my main

R
Old 07-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

There are plenty of parts for the hyper around and its an awesome basher/racer. A friend of mine still races a 7 and has smoked many more modern cars. The 7 is 300, the losi is over 600. You could buy 2 hypers for the cost of 1 losi. Ofnas offerings are always underrated on forums but the people that go against the grain and use them have nothing but good to say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.