R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-28-2009, 04:33 AM   #31
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Send a message via MSN to clinttredway

i run the mugen style aluminum and carbob shoes and love them both..
Old 07-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

I've been running theAnswer shoes for quite some time in my RC8, and they do what's claimed. They outlast the stock shoes by long shot, with much less maintenance required. Also, the service is TOP-NOTCH, and hard to beat.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #33
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

+1, Mike's da man!!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:33 AM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera nitro View Post

the shoes with the 1.0mm springs had some wear(normal amount) but the 1.1mm shoes had turned from black to bright orange and had worn big time and was also getting the "hang up" problem and not returning to neutral 100% even after the lips were removed.
Mike
I had a bog problem that I thought was due to improper tuning. After not being able to solve the problem with the needles, I pulled the clutch and saw the same thing. The color had changed to a bright orange and the shoes were badly worn and wouldn't fully return. I installed the spare set, reset the needles, and all was well again. This was with the 1.1 springs. I might have to try the 1.0 and see how that works.

Before this, I was extremely pleased with the performance and still am (with a fresh set on).
rstnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:43 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstnboy View Post
I had a bog problem that I thought was due to improper tuning. After not being able to solve the problem with the needles, I pulled the clutch and saw the same thing. The color had changed to a bright orange and the shoes were badly worn and wouldn't fully return. I installed the spare set, reset the needles, and all was well again. This was with the 1.1 springs. I might have to try the 1.0 and see how that works.

Before this, I was extremely pleased with the performance and still am (with a fresh set on).

I wouldn't expect this from 1.1s(black)... maybe the .9 (gold), are you using the standard three shoe or the AE/TTR style? If you're using the standard three shoe 0001 please inspect the 1.0 (silver) springs for enough cast or bend. They might need a tweak to be perfect.
mikenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #36
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Yes, this is with the standard 3-shoe clutch and the black (1.1) springs. How much of a tweak are we talking about on the silver springs?
rstnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #37
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstnboy View Post
Yes, this is with the standard 3-shoe clutch and the black (1.1) springs. How much of a tweak are we talking about on the silver springs?
Not much you can gauge it from the gold or blacks, it doesn't affect performance at all they just might become part of the clutch surface a gallon sooner if you don't bend them a bit more than they are now.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I've been running the same set of shoes in my buggy for about 3-4 gallons now, no issues and I alway change the bell bearings once a day, usually before the main. It took over a gallon through my S5 before the Answer shoes needed any maintenance (other than bearings) and close to 2 gallons before they turned bright orange. Sooooo......

This past weekend I was bragging to a friend on how good the Answer shoes were... Threw him a new in package set along with a pair of new bearings. First qualifier was awesome... But at the beginning of his 2nd 6 minute qualifier he shagged the bearings, ruined the clutchbell and ate the spur gear in his Mugen truggy. He installed the black springs and everything was shimmed correctly, I double checked before he installed the engine. Within about 7 minutes of running the shoes were a brighter orange than my shoes after 4 gallons.... WTF?

He's running an RB .28 in a truggy. Is this just too much power for the Answer Shoes? In disbelief we inspected the truck for any hangups in the drivetrain for some kind of clue as to why this happened... Not a single clue!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron2u View Post
I've been running the same set of shoes in my buggy for about 3-4 gallons now, no issues and I alway change the bell bearings once a day, usually before the main. It took over a gallon through my S5 before the Answer shoes needed any maintenance (other than bearings) and close to 2 gallons before they turned bright orange. Sooooo......

This past weekend I was bragging to a friend on how good the Answer shoes were... Threw him a new in package set along with a pair of new bearings. First qualifier was awesome... But at the beginning of his 2nd 6 minute qualifier he shagged the bearings, ruined the clutchbell and ate the spur gear in his Mugen truggy. He installed the black springs and everything was shimmed correctly, I double checked before he installed the engine. Within about 7 minutes of running the shoes were a brighter orange than my shoes after 4 gallons.... WTF?

He's running an RB .28 in a truggy. Is this just too much power for the Answer Shoes? In disbelief we inspected the truck for any hangups in the drivetrain for some kind of clue as to why this happened... Not a single clue!

I've had people tell me the 1.1 is tighter than they've seen in other springs, but your describing something that is creating a bunch of heat. I can't imagine the .28 motor has anthing to do with it, but I can't think of anyone using them with anything but a .21. Was this an extremely high bite surface? I recommend everyone start with the 1.0s on the standard three shoe. PM me more of the details and your buddy's contact info, if he's up for it I will get him what he needs to give them another shot.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

my shoes should be arriving today. i am looking forward to using them. gonna break in my new motor and slap these on it!!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenix View Post
I've had people tell me the 1.1 is tighter than they've seen in other springs, but your describing something that is creating a bunch of heat. I can't imagine the .28 motor has anthing to do with it, but I can't think of anyone using them with anything but a .21. Was this an extremely high bite surface? I recommend everyone start with the 1.0s on the standard three shoe. PM me more of the details and your buddy's contact info, if he's up for it I will get him what he needs to give them another shot.
10-4 YGPM

Last edited by aaron2u; 08-11-2009 at 03:25 PM.
aaron2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #42
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

All Answer products work fantastic. The clutch parts perform great, awesome grab and they last longer than most aluminum shoes, at a lower price. The Flywheels work great as well. The pins don't wear out nearly as fast as other flywheels. I only had to replace one when a rock got in there and roughed it up. Give Answer stuff a shot, you won't be dissapointed.

Chris
Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 AM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

finally test it today its been a while ,too much rain ,anyway i tried (1).9 & (2) 1.1 2 tanks i need to stop cause race day this saturday hehehe & wow i like it my jx21 likes it lol,i tired to limit my epa radio to 58% & believe me no clutch shoe "hang-up" ........next time i will try ventilated bell for my rc8t
Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #44
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenix View Post
I wouldn't expect this from 1.1s(black)... maybe the .9 (gold), are you using the standard three shoe or the AE/TTR style? If you're using the standard three shoe 0001 please inspect the 1.0 (silver) springs for enough cast or bend. They might need a tweak to be perfect.
Mike,

Shoe set i am using are the 0001 version for XRay 808.

I have previously run the Black springs in front of a JX21 Ninja and have the over heating issue on shoes after a days racing (dark orange in colour after 4 x 6min heats and 30min main), so i installed the silver springs on a new set of shoes and no longer have the discoloring (heat) issue, although the flat spot due to springs engaging to early is another problem i am trying to sort ATM as it is holding the engine back out of every corner. (Looking at Ninja C heater v's the current L header on the car for more bottom end.)

I also noticed that even on new shoes the tail of the silver spring doesnt sit neatly in the groove on the shoe, in fact it is almost flush with the face of the shoe, meaning as the face wears the spring is wearing a groove into my clutch bells. I have considered bending the tail of the spring to better fit the shoe, or removing a couple of mm off the end of the spring as it is basically swinging in the breeze anyway.

As i have been having the silver springs engage at too low RPM and the black springs at too high rpm (causing the heat issue) i am going to try Mugan 1.0mm springs next time out and see if that works for me. The Mugan spring is also shaped differently and sits right down at the bottom of the spring groove, so should not effect the bell as the silver Answer springs currently are.

Not racing until next weekend but might get the car out for some practice this weekend and provide some feedback.

Darren
GMVPSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMVPSS View Post
Mike,

Shoe set i am using are the 0001 version for XRay 808.

I have previously run the Black springs in front of a JX21 Ninja and have the over heating issue on shoes after a days racing (dark orange in colour after 4 x 6min heats and 30min main), so i installed the silver springs on a new set of shoes and no longer have the discoloring (heat) issue, although the flat spot due to springs engaging to early is another problem i am trying to sort ATM as it is holding the engine back out of every corner. (Looking at Ninja C heater v's the current L header on the car for more bottom end.)

I also noticed that even on new shoes the tail of the silver spring doesnt sit neatly in the groove on the shoe, in fact it is almost flush with the face of the shoe, meaning as the face wears the spring is wearing a groove into my clutch bells. I have considered bending the tail of the spring to better fit the shoe, or removing a couple of mm off the end of the spring as it is basically swinging in the breeze anyway.

As i have been having the silver springs engage at too low RPM and the black springs at too high rpm (causing the heat issue) i am going to try Mugan 1.0mm springs next time out and see if that works for me. The Mugan spring is also shaped differently and sits right down at the bottom of the spring groove, so should not effect the bell as the silver Answer springs currently are.

Not racing until next weekend but might get the car out for some practice this weekend and provide some feedback.

Darren
We're looking to springs further, but you discovered where we don't have quite enough 'cast' or bend on the three shoe 1.0 springs. They do need a slight tweak to be totally correct. I've also heard the Hot Bodies springs are great for the price.

Hope this helps.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...utch-Springs-3