R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic
 
mfrosty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 920
Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)
Default

Answer shoes are all I run! The bite great, wear better than any other shoe I've tried and you can't beat the price!
__________________
~TQ Racing~O.S. Engines~AKA~Answer R/C~
http://www.youtube.com/user/frostyone1977
mfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #17
Tech Regular
 
mikenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 335
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI View Post
I ran the RC8 shoes by Answer RC last weekend, Great wear characteristics, but they hang??

The shoes have the bevel or machine in spacer so you do not have to run the teflon spacer, the shoes were hanging on the Flywheel bevel that the Nut tightens down on. I tried to add the teflon spacer anyway, but then the shoes do not line up. Any ideas???

Again, this is on a RC8
Ironically I just confirmed this today with my RC8 clutch setup that I use on one of my motors in my 808. It seems our standoff isn't quite high enough and agree it does hang up a bit. Mine wasn't to the point that it will touch the bell but didn't return all the way back to the oringal postion and it was only one of the shoes really doing it.

Here is how I handled it. Using a cut-off wheel I back cut each shoe about .5mm at about a 15 degree angle. Checked each one to see that it returned to the original location and it's good to go. Tested it already and it works perfect. I'm not using the teflon spacer at all.

I can probably modify a set quick and send them to you if you would like to give that a try. I will let Pete (the owner of Answer-RC) in the UK know aobut this.
__________________
www.answer-rcusa.com
Contact me for details.....
When you sling mud, you only loose ground. - Fat Albert
mikenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenix View Post
Ironically I just confirmed this today with my RC8 clutch setup that I use on one of my motors in my 808. It seems our standoff isn't quite high enough and agree it does hang up a bit. Mine wasn't to the point that it will touch the bell but didn't return all the way back to the oringal postion and it was only one of the shoes really doing it.

Here is how I handled it. Using a cut-off wheel I back cut each shoe about .5mm at about a 15 degree angle. Checked each one to see that it returned to the original location and it's good to go. Tested it already and it works perfect. I'm not using the teflon spacer at all.

I can probably modify a set quick and send them to you if you would like to give that a try. I will let Pete (the owner of Answer-RC) in the UK know aobut this.

I am glad you found it. I love the shoes as far as wear. I will try and mod a set that I have. Only problem is a bought 3 sets a couple weeks ago I will try and modify them.

Let me know what you guys come up with. I love all your stuff, the Header Springs are just the BEST and strongest I have used. I am getting ready to try the bearing kit also, they look hi quality. I have shown the header springs to the guys at the track and sold all the ones I had so I will be ordering some more soon, maybe by then the shoes may be re-worked.

Thanks
SPEEDSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #19
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 330
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

i test it yesterday around 3 tanks & i love it ,i will try the (1) 0.9 & (2)1.1 next time on my jx21 ..........someone recommended this earlier ......but is this gonna be fine/ok on the track like high traction ?? like grass & carpet i would say 60%
mbx5rcr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #20
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbx5rcr34 View Post
i test it yesterday around 3 tanks & i love it ,i will try the (1) 0.9 & (2)1.1 next time on my jx21 ..........someone recommended this earlier ......but is this gonna be fine/ok on the track like high traction ?? like grass & carpet i would say 60%
The tracks I race at are all pretty high traction, not as much as carpet or astroturf, but more than grass..I find the 1 soft and 2 hard to give me the best of both worlds. I get just enough slip to blip and cruise when I need it and total bell lock at about 1/2 punched..you still need to see what you like best..but I would say its a good starting point, you can tweek it to suit your needs, after all you do get 9 springs
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 AM   #21
Tech Elite
 
Teufel Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sparks Nv.
Posts: 2,134
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Have a few sets done up for the Losi 8ight T,

First time I tried them wasn't too sure of them, seemed to slip a bit too much for my liking. Looked things over and decided to change the springs out to a different combo and it's much better. I have been running the losi springs with the shoes and have a few other flywheels set with two Answer shoes and two M2C, two stock Losi alum, and two long wear Losi. Seeing which combo will give me the best feel. Can't have enough clutch setups to tune with.

The answer shoes are like no other I have run. Not light, not heavy. Not too hard, not too soft. Don't know just what the Answer guys did, but they did it right. Add to that what you get in the set and it's very hard to beat, 4 shoe or 3 shoe. My standard Losi setup would run me 35 to just get shoes and springs. Haven't tried the clutch bells or the Amswer flywheels, but I suspect that there are little issues with them. Other than what guys found out with the RC8. Couldn't be happier with Answer RC products
__________________
J.Mikoliczyk

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #22
Tech Addict
 
Frozenshades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: College Station, TX/Southlake, TX
Posts: 514
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I ordered a set yesterday, they look great and at a very fair price. I am wondering though, I've had the same clutch bell for like 8 or 9 gallons and have always run composite shoes. The teeth still look pretty good, but I'm concerned about how the aluminum will work since there is composite residue. Will the aluminum work fine, or should I get a new bell?
Frozenshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #23
Tech Adept
 
pantera nitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stanhope Gardens,Sydney, Australia
Posts: 209
Default

i ran these shoes in my RC8T with 2 x 1.0mm and 1 x 1.1mm springs and gave the truggy an absolute thrashing for about 2 litres just to see its wear rate.

the shoes with the 1.0mm springs had some wear(normal amount) but the 1.1mm shoes had turned from black to bright orange and had worn big time and was also getting the "hang up" problem and not returning to neutral 100% even after the lips were removed.

they're a great clutch and i do recommend them but i think the Associated shoes might need a "mod" done to them.

Mike
__________________
MP9-TKI2/O.S. 21XZ-B V-Spec Speed
RC8T-CE/MG66X
RC8B-e/Hobby Wing
RC King Hobbies - onlinerc.com.au - Pro-Spec Race Bearings
pantera nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #24
Tech Regular
 
mikenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 335
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenshades View Post
I ordered a set yesterday, they look great and at a very fair price. I am wondering though, I've had the same clutch bell for like 8 or 9 gallons and have always run composite shoes. The teeth still look pretty good, but I'm concerned about how the aluminum will work since there is composite residue. Will the aluminum work fine, or should I get a new bell?
9 Gallons on the same bell! You're a better man than me... I would think you're going to get a range of replies, but I think the middle ground would be to prep the bell inside using emery cloth or sand paper and go for it.
__________________
www.answer-rcusa.com
Contact me for details.....
When you sling mud, you only loose ground. - Fat Albert
mikenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #25
Tech Addict
 
Frozenshades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: College Station, TX/Southlake, TX
Posts: 514
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenix View Post
9 Gallons on the same bell! You're a better man than me... I would think you're going to get a range of replies, but I think the middle ground would be to prep the bell inside using emery cloth or sand paper and go for it.
Sounds like a plan. I cleaned out the inside a bit to get what dust and shoe residue I could, and now I guess I'll give it a sanding. Yeah I'm a student, so I have a bit of a smaller budget to work with, so I can be kind of cheap about replacement parts lol. Those shoes had actually been on as long as that bell, and the bearings only blew once in all that time . Personally I'm amazed they lasted that long. The bearings that are on now still feel great and the shoes are a bit worn, but they still work. Its definitely been long overdue for a change though, and I know the aluminum will give more bottom end bite. I'll probably put in new bearings too. It can't hurt, and they are cheap. Gotta love Avid

Anyway, thanks for the response.
Frozenshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #26
Tech Elite
 
porkchop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: o-h-i-o
Posts: 2,830
Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop
Default

by far the most consistan show i ever ran form tank to tank ever time
__________________
charles garten
serpent / novarossi / Desoto Racing / Absolute Hobbyz / ko propo / first turn racing usa / KustomRcGraphics / O'donnell racing fuel / Houstons Engine Service / sweep racing tires
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice
 
donut92673's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 76
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

pork chop rob ham told me you will be at crc this weekend.mabey we will run into each other.i will be thier with mike from answer.
__________________
Dean Fasnacht
717-342-8290 or dean@donutracing.com
SPONSORS=DONUT RACING/EB MODS/ANSWER RC /D&K AIR DESIGNS
LOSI Eight 2.0 & EIGHT T 2.0/ GO EBM5 FULL MOD / OS 2060
LOSI AD 2 OS TZ
donut92673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #28
Tech Elite
 
porkchop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: o-h-i-o
Posts: 2,830
Send a message via AIM to porkchop Send a message via Yahoo to porkchop
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut92673 View Post
pork chop rob ham told me you will be at crc this weekend.mabey we will run into each other.i will be thier with mike from answer.
i wont race because i am in a wedding but i be there runing as the bump up king on sunday why not right ? lol
__________________
charles garten
serpent / novarossi / Desoto Racing / Absolute Hobbyz / ko propo / first turn racing usa / KustomRcGraphics / O'donnell racing fuel / Houstons Engine Service / sweep racing tires
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #29
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 330
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

your right the 1.1 spring got the hang-up problem ,it reminds me the associated 1.1 spring sucks really ......i need to test this answer 1.1 spring this weekend & i will let you guys know.........is there any way to solve this problem on the 1.1 spring
mbx5rcr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:26 AM   #30
Tech Adept
 
pantera nitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stanhope Gardens,Sydney, Australia
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbx5rcr34 View Post
your right the 1.1 spring got the hang-up problem ,it reminds me the associated 1.1 spring sucks really ......i need to test this answer 1.1 spring this weekend & i will let you guys know.........is there any way to solve this problem on the 1.1 spring
i also got the hang up problem with the m2c 1.1mm spring after changing from the Answer springs.......
__________________
MP9-TKI2/O.S. 21XZ-B V-Spec Speed
RC8T-CE/MG66X
RC8B-e/Hobby Wing
RC King Hobbies - onlinerc.com.au - Pro-Spec Race Bearings
pantera nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits. DJ1978 Electric Off-Road 19923 06-12-2017 05:16 AM
New XRAY 808 Philipm Nitro Off-Road 12372 12-08-2015 06:43 AM
cen matrix CHAVAN30 Nitro Off-Road 1177 08-05-2011 05:23 PM
Losi 8ight building and setup JBRacing Nitro Off-Road 8691 06-27-2011 08:43 AM
Losi Clutch Bell Bearing problems. l3asher Nitro Off-Road 36 05-16-2010 09:31 AM
Serpent 710 Ron C. Nitro On-Road 23347 03-16-2010 01:47 PM
Mugen clutch set up in a Losi 8 TRIPC Nitro Off-Road 22 04-07-2009 08:03 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:19 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net