Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Answer-RC Clutch Shoes, how are they?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Answer shoes are all I run! The bite great, wear better than any other shoe I've tried and you can't beat the price!
Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI
I ran the RC8 shoes by Answer RC last weekend, Great wear characteristics, but they hang??

The shoes have the bevel or machine in spacer so you do not have to run the teflon spacer, the shoes were hanging on the Flywheel bevel that the Nut tightens down on. I tried to add the teflon spacer anyway, but then the shoes do not line up. Any ideas???

Again, this is on a RC8
Ironically I just confirmed this today with my RC8 clutch setup that I use on one of my motors in my 808. It seems our standoff isn't quite high enough and agree it does hang up a bit. Mine wasn't to the point that it will touch the bell but didn't return all the way back to the oringal postion and it was only one of the shoes really doing it.

Here is how I handled it. Using a cut-off wheel I back cut each shoe about .5mm at about a 15 degree angle. Checked each one to see that it returned to the original location and it's good to go. Tested it already and it works perfect. I'm not using the teflon spacer at all.

I can probably modify a set quick and send them to you if you would like to give that a try. I will let Pete (the owner of Answer-RC) in the UK know aobut this.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mikenix
Ironically I just confirmed this today with my RC8 clutch setup that I use on one of my motors in my 808. It seems our standoff isn't quite high enough and agree it does hang up a bit. Mine wasn't to the point that it will touch the bell but didn't return all the way back to the oringal postion and it was only one of the shoes really doing it.

Here is how I handled it. Using a cut-off wheel I back cut each shoe about .5mm at about a 15 degree angle. Checked each one to see that it returned to the original location and it's good to go. Tested it already and it works perfect. I'm not using the teflon spacer at all.

I can probably modify a set quick and send them to you if you would like to give that a try. I will let Pete (the owner of Answer-RC) in the UK know aobut this.

I am glad you found it. I love the shoes as far as wear. I will try and mod a set that I have. Only problem is a bought 3 sets a couple weeks ago I will try and modify them.

Let me know what you guys come up with. I love all your stuff, the Header Springs are just the BEST and strongest I have used. I am getting ready to try the bearing kit also, they look hi quality. I have shown the header springs to the guys at the track and sold all the ones I had so I will be ordering some more soon, maybe by then the shoes may be re-worked.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i test it yesterday around 3 tanks & i love it ,i will try the (1) 0.9 & (2)1.1 next time on my jx21 ..........someone recommended this earlier ......but is this gonna be fine/ok on the track like high traction ?? like grass & carpet i would say 60%
Old 07-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mbx5rcr34
i test it yesterday around 3 tanks & i love it ,i will try the (1) 0.9 & (2)1.1 next time on my jx21 ..........someone recommended this earlier ......but is this gonna be fine/ok on the track like high traction ?? like grass & carpet i would say 60%
The tracks I race at are all pretty high traction, not as much as carpet or astroturf, but more than grass..I find the 1 soft and 2 hard to give me the best of both worlds. I get just enough slip to blip and cruise when I need it and total bell lock at about 1/2 punched..you still need to see what you like best..but I would say its a good starting point, you can tweek it to suit your needs, after all you do get 9 springs
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Have a few sets done up for the Losi 8ight T,

First time I tried them wasn't too sure of them, seemed to slip a bit too much for my liking. Looked things over and decided to change the springs out to a different combo and it's much better. I have been running the losi springs with the shoes and have a few other flywheels set with two Answer shoes and two M2C, two stock Losi alum, and two long wear Losi. Seeing which combo will give me the best feel. Can't have enough clutch setups to tune with.

The answer shoes are like no other I have run. Not light, not heavy. Not too hard, not too soft. Don't know just what the Answer guys did, but they did it right. Add to that what you get in the set and it's very hard to beat, 4 shoe or 3 shoe. My standard Losi setup would run me 35 to just get shoes and springs. Haven't tried the clutch bells or the Amswer flywheels, but I suspect that there are little issues with them. Other than what guys found out with the RC8. Couldn't be happier with Answer RC products
Old 07-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ordered a set yesterday, they look great and at a very fair price. I am wondering though, I've had the same clutch bell for like 8 or 9 gallons and have always run composite shoes. The teeth still look pretty good, but I'm concerned about how the aluminum will work since there is composite residue. Will the aluminum work fine, or should I get a new bell?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

i ran these shoes in my RC8T with 2 x 1.0mm and 1 x 1.1mm springs and gave the truggy an absolute thrashing for about 2 litres just to see its wear rate.

the shoes with the 1.0mm springs had some wear(normal amount) but the 1.1mm shoes had turned from black to bright orange and had worn big time and was also getting the "hang up" problem and not returning to neutral 100% even after the lips were removed.

they're a great clutch and i do recommend them but i think the Associated shoes might need a "mod" done to them.

Mike
Old 07-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frozenshades
I ordered a set yesterday, they look great and at a very fair price. I am wondering though, I've had the same clutch bell for like 8 or 9 gallons and have always run composite shoes. The teeth still look pretty good, but I'm concerned about how the aluminum will work since there is composite residue. Will the aluminum work fine, or should I get a new bell?
9 Gallons on the same bell! You're a better man than me... I would think you're going to get a range of replies, but I think the middle ground would be to prep the bell inside using emery cloth or sand paper and go for it.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikenix
9 Gallons on the same bell! You're a better man than me... I would think you're going to get a range of replies, but I think the middle ground would be to prep the bell inside using emery cloth or sand paper and go for it.
Sounds like a plan. I cleaned out the inside a bit to get what dust and shoe residue I could, and now I guess I'll give it a sanding. Yeah I'm a student, so I have a bit of a smaller budget to work with, so I can be kind of cheap about replacement parts lol. Those shoes had actually been on as long as that bell, and the bearings only blew once in all that time . Personally I'm amazed they lasted that long. The bearings that are on now still feel great and the shoes are a bit worn, but they still work. Its definitely been long overdue for a change though, and I know the aluminum will give more bottom end bite. I'll probably put in new bearings too. It can't hurt, and they are cheap. Gotta love Avid

Anyway, thanks for the response.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

by far the most consistan show i ever ran form tank to tank ever time
Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

pork chop rob ham told me you will be at crc this weekend.mabey we will run into each other.i will be thier with mike from answer.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by donut92673
pork chop rob ham told me you will be at crc this weekend.mabey we will run into each other.i will be thier with mike from answer.
i wont race because i am in a wedding but i be there runing as the bump up king on sunday why not right ? lol
Old 07-28-2009, 02:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

your right the 1.1 spring got the hang-up problem ,it reminds me the associated 1.1 spring sucks really ......i need to test this answer 1.1 spring this weekend & i will let you guys know.........is there any way to solve this problem on the 1.1 spring
Old 07-28-2009, 04:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mbx5rcr34
your right the 1.1 spring got the hang-up problem ,it reminds me the associated 1.1 spring sucks really ......i need to test this answer 1.1 spring this weekend & i will let you guys know.........is there any way to solve this problem on the 1.1 spring
i also got the hang up problem with the m2c 1.1mm spring after changing from the Answer springs.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.