Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What to use to lock a truggy center diff? >

What to use to lock a truggy center diff?

What to use to lock a truggy center diff?

Old 07-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default What to use to lock a truggy center diff?

Just like the title says, what can I use to lock the center diff of a truggy? Would silicone work?

I am pondering this because I think Im going to take the front diff and parts out to use as spare parts in case the rear brakes, and then just run my truggy 2WD. Im so used to 2WD and i cant stand how you cant break loose and spin the rear end around, you have to pussy foot it around corners. Just an idea, thanks for any help!

Richard
Old 07-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Originally Posted by Kimixii
Just like the title says, what can I use to lock the center diff of a truggy? Would silicone work?

I am pondering this because I think Im going to take the front diff and parts out to use as spare parts in case the rear brakes, and then just run my truggy 2WD. Im so used to 2WD and i cant stand how you cant break loose and spin the rear end around, you have to pussy foot it around corners. Just an idea, thanks for any help!

Richard
your running the wrong tires or you are setup to tight or both. I can break the rear tires loose on my RC8T almost at will...
Old 07-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by megasaxon
your running the wrong tires or you are setup to tight or both. I can break the rear tires loose on my RC8T almost at will...
Maybe heavier center diff oil also.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

It is the wrong tires, its a Duratrax Raze ST, I bought it like new for 150 bucks. =]

I put oil in all the diffs, very very light oil it seems, its Shell Gear oil from walmart, its very light and I can break loose easier but its also leaking from the center diff a bit. One other reason Id rather just throw a wad of silicone in the center diff and take the front diff out for a spare.

Im sure concentrated Purple Power could remove silicone overnight easy.

RC8T vs Duratrax Raze =] lol. Of course im not racing this truck, so i mean i dont check my lap times, I just race with friends and want to have fun, but not break too much. And having to clean this oil up from the center diff is p/oin me bad lol.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

In response to Cory, what if I took the light oil i put in the center diff and filled it with some HPI heavy grease I have? I want to keep the light oil in the front and rear though so I can spin break loose. I just figured to put the oil in the center also if i was putting it front and rear.

But its leaking. I dont know if i overfilled it or what, but i think its coming out little by little where the bearings are. Not 100% But I never had that problem with the stock grease.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Lock center diff

Although I consider myself a serious racer rumor has it that play do works very well to lock the center diff and it does not hurt the gears if you decide to clean them and go back to diff fluids. Have fun.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kimixii
In response to Cory, what if I took the light oil i put in the center diff and filled it with some HPI heavy grease I have? I want to keep the light oil in the front and rear though so I can spin break loose. I just figured to put the oil in the center also if i was putting it front and rear.
For what you want, it sounds like it should work. It will also allow you to go back to diff fluid in the future without having to buy a new diff.(If you were to permanently lock the other)

But if it were me i would spend my money on a set of new tires.