What happened ???

Old 07-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Sorry for the long post, wasn't trying to write a novel
Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Alot of great points everyone. The way i look at it I guess is every sponsorship I have or have ever had came with a contract to sign and a list of do's and dont's that the company you are representing want you to follow. Most sponsorships want you to have a good attitude and a positive image on and off the track and most want you to report back with race results and product testing information that will help both the company and the racer succeed. Yes, I do belive alot of people think they are "sponsored" whether they really should be or not, BUT I also believe that there are alot of people who are just proud they have good equipment and good people taking care of them whenever they need help and that alone will speak volumes when they are trackside and someone takes notice and asks "WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE!!!!!" It takes team effort to represent a product well and my hat goes off to all of those who have supported me and who have made my engines look good all over the world and yes, I take care of those who take care of me. I am with you Monty, I also believe it should be earned and not handed out. Too many people want something for nothing but I am old school, you have to prove what you say you will do for the company before receiving the benefits. I have been burned a few times over the years by guys who get stuff from me promising the world and I never hear from them again. Unfortunately the few bad apples wreck it for everyone but I guess you really find out what people are made of and you also get to see who you really want on your team.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

ya right

good insights teufel
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PowerHouse
Alot of great points everyone. The way i look at it I guess is every sponsorship I have or have ever had came with a contract to sign and a list of do's and dont's that the company you are representing want you to follow. Most sponsorships want you to have a good attitude and a positive image on and off the track and most want you to report back with race results and product testing information that will help both the company and the racer succeed. Yes, I do belive alot of people think they are "sponsored" whether they really should be or not, BUT I also believe that there are alot of people who are just proud they have good equipment and good people taking care of them whenever they need help and that alone will speak volumes when they are trackside and someone takes notice and asks "WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE!!!!!" It takes team effort to represent a product well and my hat goes off to all of those who have supported me and who have made my engines look good all over the world and yes, I take care of those who take care of me. I am with you Monty, I also believe it should be earned and not handed out. Too many people want something for nothing but I am old school, you have to prove what you say you will do for the company before receiving the benefits. I have been burned a few times over the years by guys who get stuff from me promising the world and I never hear from them again. Unfortunately the few bad apples wreck it for everyone but I guess you really find out what people are made of and you also get to see who you really want on your team.
yep

novarossi dealer

more novarossis the world over
Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i believe that if you are constistant and a good manered person i don't see why that person shouldn't have a sponsership. they would make the company look good and show that the companies products work well and are reliable. I am about to go to my 5th race meet ever and i am starting to catch up to the others and have won a race as well (very satisfying). my car has so far NEVER had any engine trouble and my gear is very relaible but each race it just seems to be stupid things that happen (eg. RX bat cable got riped off by a stick dueing warmup and had no spairs. yes the cable was well protected.) but does that mean that a person like me shouldn't be give a chance to be sponsered.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
yep

novarossi dealer

more novarossis the world over
Yes, I just became the newest Novarossi Dealer. I'm taking all the appropriate steps to bettering what I have going already. Now I can offer the customer the "complete' package.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Fully Sponser'd

I consider myself fully sponser'd...

I get 1/2 gallon of Nitro X fuel a year, I get this for free and obtained the sponsorship at the recent Queensland titles because of my unique driving style and my good nature.

For the uninitiated, Nitro X is the best fuel I have used, it has the best run time and my engines have never been cleaner; and to top it off it is brewed right here in Australia!!!

http://www.nitro-x.com/
Old 07-23-2009, 01:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sam-E
I consider myself fully sponser'd...

I get 1/2 gallon of Nitro X fuel a year, I get this for free and obtained the sponsorship at the recent Queensland titles because of my unique driving style and my good nature.

For the uninitiated, Nitro X is the best fuel I have used, it has the best run time and my engines have never been cleaner; and to top it off it is brewed right here in Australia!!!

http://www.nitro-x.com/
wait, you only get a half gallon a year and consider your self full sponsor?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Well, being spunserred is about having as many brands in your sig files as possible, right???

right

Paul
(no sponsor, not planning to get any as I still want to be able to cuss and get temperamental at the track without consequences if I want to )
Old 07-23-2009, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

Monty,

Thanks for the kind words. I think many racers see what the top have and don't always see all the srtings that are attached. I have been lucky enough to be around a couple of the top guys and have been able to see their interaction with other racers. They always took the time to answer any question asked. It's those type of sponosored racers that leaves a lasting mark on people, in a good way. Though those couple of "Pro's" have long since hung up the transmitter, some have stepped up to fill that viod. It would be nice to have more "Pro's" like that, but it wouldn't have that lasting feel on the mind.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:34 AM
Tech Elite

Powerhouse,

I see your point. I have that old school mentality at times. That is where I would agree with a sponsorship along the lines of a full ride would need to be earned. When it is 50% or less, maybe not. That would depend on what that co. or mfg. wants from someone they may consider for a sponsorship. That would probably vari from co. to co., mfg. to mfg., but I could be totally wrong in that thought process.

Even though I didn't sign a contract with two of my sponsors, I treat both as if I had. Again, it might be my age. I have seen many guys blow a good thing for many reasons. Like many things in life, it's what you make it.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I see these sponsors for Team Terribles as more of a club discount for the members. It's a group of guys that may or may not be terrible at racing but love to race, and have fun on the weekends helping each other out . Giving Team Terribles a discount on certain items does not take away from the prestige of a real sponsorship. It''s a way for a few companies to cut some guys a break on prices and get their name out there. You can spend all the money in the world on advertising and from my experience word of mouth is the most effective form of advertising. So by giving these discounts, moving some product and getting some of that word of mouth advertising it's a win win for everyone.

I've never been sponsored by any company and have never asked for any sponsorship. I'm a member if Team Terribles and don't consider myself a sponsored guy now. I'm just a regular racer who's part of a group of racers getting a discount from some great companies and sharing my experience with fellow racers.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZrcdriver
Well giving a bunch of random people a discount is not sponsorship but really a discount program.

This is where people are getting the two confused.
The point was already made that this is about advertising... and yes, the statement made by AZrcdriver is correct in a sense. However, that same discount program, if you have a large number of people saying "hey, I use this product, you should give it a try" is still a way to market the product. Calling it a sponsorship makes sense from that perspective. It is a cost effective way to market the product, in fact, in many cases the "sponsorship" or "discount code" probably just allows those individuals the ability to go direct to the manufacturer/distributor (whichever the case may be) and pay something approximately equal to dealer cost.

Hmmm... so free (from a money perspective, although there is some extra hassle involved with dealing with all those individuals) advertising. That makes good business sense.

Does it have to be the fastest driver at the track? No... here is a case in point: Recently a guy showed up at our local track with a Hot Bodies truggy. Was he fast? No... I'm not fast, and I spanked him like a redheaded stepchild. However, I was over there checking out his truck. I would have never given one a second look without seeing it in person- but I was actually pretty impressed with the truck, especially given the low cost. I'm not currently looking for a new ride, I'm extremely happy with my current equipment... but, for future reference, it is one more added to the list of "brands to consider." Why? Because I got to see it in use, and it was reasonably good.

I'm not a fast driver by any means, but I do have a pretty fair knowledge of equipment and setup... and I'm always willing to help someone out.

Do I think I can represent a product well? Yes, but not because I'm winning races with it... more along the lines of "look how hard I am on equipment... and this hasn't failed me... you might want to give it a try."

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT

Do I think I can represent a product well? Yes, but not because I'm winning races with it... more along the lines of "look how hard I am on equipment... and this hasn't failed me... you might want to give it a try."

Just my thoughts on the matter.

on that note i think proline should pick you up, it is amazing what that body will take!

Note the ssr body you mentioned was barely long enough for a 2.5 revo. i used to run one
Old 07-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Default Sponsorship? And internet Deals

Monty,

Thanks for your sponsorship and kind words about me. I too have been lucky to have had a lot of advice and help from pro drivers and many others at my local phoenix area tracks. Without their advice, help and knowledge I would never have gotten to the quick times and driving techniques that I have now, in such a short period of time. Sometimes I just keep asking too many questions, cause I just want to get better. They are helping me do this as well as the support of my few sponsors.

Also I wanted to say here, that several of my local hobby stores have provided unbelievable help, advice and knowledge that I never could get from saving 10%-15% on an internet purchase. Some of the shop owners are like a walking encyclopedia of R/C tips. I need them for my hobby as well as helping and getting new comers to the R/C sport.

Fun: It's all in the Journey for a great end result.

Thanks Monty and all the other R/C encyclopedias for your help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.