Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Switching the roto-start on RC8T RTR >

Switching the roto-start on RC8T RTR

Switching the roto-start on RC8T RTR

Old 07-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Switching the roto-start on RC8T RTR

hey everone, im new to rctech so any help would be greatly appreciated, i hate the roto start and was wondering if theres someway i can put a cap there and just run a box with the rtr .28 motor?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 AM
Tech Initiate

You don't need to put a backplate on it (i assume that's what you mean when you say 'cap')...Just get yourself a box and set it all up - It will be just the same as if you had the backplate - You're just cutting out the OWB.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jim101092
You don't need to put a backplate on it (i assume that's what you mean when you say 'cap')...Just get yourself a box and set it all up - It will be just the same as if you had the backplate - You're just cutting out the OWB.
Well he's not cutting out the OWB. It's still in the engine, but you can use a bump box without modifying the engine. But if you can get a new back plate for the engine I would do so, the OWB does rob your engine of power.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Tech Initiate

I know it's still on...just saying that even though it's there, it's not needed in order to start the engine.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Initiate

okay perfect, and yeah thats what i was asking if i need the back plate b/c until i find one id like to use the starter box if i could. so thanks alot!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would actually remove the owb so that it wont go out while your running, just remove it than put the back plate back on and use the bump box as normal....I did this on my 21tm and it works great....
Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Dude if I was you, I would do it the RIGHT WAY. Get rid of the roto start , get the back plate for it.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah i want to i just dont think im gonna be able to find a back plate for this motor its called the Pro .28 is it made by AE b/c i read something about a Reedy .28 or something idk...... help please lol
Old 07-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

you can take the one way bearing out of the engine, i did that on my AE Pro .28 and then used a bump box on it. Used the box both with and without the bearing, no issues, no leaks. This motor is the same as the Thunder Tiger Pro .28, which is available with a non pullstart back plate. I recently purchased a backplate for the TT Pro .28(also fits the 21) and trimmed the nub off the end of the crank for the starting mechanism, it won't clear the backplate otherwise. The part number for the backplate is TTRAA0779. You can buy it HERE. This backplate also has some turbo scoops in it, i noticed a slight improvement in the motor after switching to this bacplate, idle was smoother and had a touch more top end, also ran a bit cooler...

Engine is not made by reedy, its made by Thunder Tiger, its the same motor that comes in their RTR Truggy and also is the same as the AE 4.60 that comes in the 4.60 MGT.

pic of my pro 28 with the thunder tiger backplate:

Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks a lot man, im gonna order that part right now and let you know how it goes. i appreciate everything.

i just ordered that part so when i get it im gonna have to grind it down to make it fit right? the part in motor. not the back plate.

oh yeah and what pug do you run in them b/c i think my fouled out in the middle of the last race and wont start now, it didnt get hot or anything just died.... the guy at the shop gave me a P3 but it didnt work.

Last edited by RC8nate; 07-23-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC8nate
thanks a lot man, im gonna order that part right now and let you know how it goes. i appreciate everything.

i just ordered that part so when i get it im gonna have to grind it down to make it fit right?
Sounds good, how are you likeing that Pro .28? I love mine, runs like crazy. Put 3 gallons on it b4 i picked up my Reedy .21. Still have the .28 as a backup, it's always been reliable.

You will have to cut the nub off of the cranshaft in the motor. When you take your current backplate off, you see the nub, it goes into the slot on the oneway bearing, sticks out from where the rod connects

Old 07-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah man it great, it has tons of power for a rtr motor, i easily keep up with the other cars with vspecs and novas, but i hate how it doesnt idle when its tuned perfect but w/e. and i see what you mean on what i have to cut off looks pretty quick and easy, what should i cut it off with a graphite blade on the drumel tool, what about metal flakes falling into the motor? and what do i reseal it with after i cut it. lol sorry for all the questions i just want to do ti right so i dont mess everything up.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey RC8nate you're the man.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Initiate

haha thanks man. come rip one up then.... and if i dont go tot he beach we'll go fix the slosi... i just wanna skim man,
Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC8nate
yeah man it great, it has tons of power for a rtr motor, i easily keep up with the other cars with vspecs and novas, but i hate how it doesnt idle when its tuned perfect but w/e. and i see what you mean on what i have to cut off looks pretty quick and easy, what should i cut it off with a graphite blade on the drumel tool, what about metal flakes falling into the motor? and what do i reseal it with after i cut it. lol sorry for all the questions i just want to do ti right so i dont mess everything up.
you'll want to pull the motor totally apart and remove the crank b4 you cut it, i just used my dremel with a cutoff wheel. The backplate doesn't come with an o-ring, but you can remove the o-ring from you roto backplate and put in on. To make sure it is sealed, you can use some high temp silicone on the surface where the backplate bolts on

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.