R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default new to off road

im looking into buying a nitro off road truck and the traxxas slayer caught my eye, i like the looks and have read up on it and it seems to handle very well and it seems to like jumps from what people say. and i like the price tag to. im just curious if anyone on here has one and if its as good as the reviews say it is.

Thanks Taylor
costcommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I don't have one and haven't even seen one. Are you bashing or racing? There is no following where I live.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Tech Adept

im gonna be racing it
Old 07-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I raced against one last Saturday, seemed pretty decent.
ShibbyUTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
Tech Master

No more monster truck class around these parts.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i've driven my friend's and it's a pretty good truck. imo, the engine is too much for the truck so you do have to be very smooth on the throttle. but it turns pretty well for that type of truck. i was impressed. it was fun to drive.
unsp0ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
Tech Adept

cool. sounds pretty good for my first nitro truck
Old 07-22-2009, 04:24 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by costcommando View Post
cool. sounds pretty good for my first nitro truck
While it is a REALLY cool truck in concept... you won't get to race it much. The problem is that it doesn't fit very well into any of the current classes for racing.

It isn't a buggy, and wouldn't be competitive if they let you run with the buggies.

It isn't a truggy, and wouldn't be competitive against the truggies.

It is CLOSEST to a Monster Truck or "Pro Mod Truck" (in fact, it is based on the REVO, which is "king of the hill" in that class...) but it is traction limited by the small tires.

On the other hand the other vehicles that LOOK the same aren't in the same class (Traxxas Slash, Associated SC10) and you'd have an unfair advantage there with all wheel drive, so they probably wouldn't let you run with them either.

By all means, if there is a local class that it fits into, go for it... but I'd hate to see you get one with the intent of racing and then find out you can't race it.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Default Good point

DOMIT makes a good point, I see that some tracks have Slash Stock out of the box classes for the family to run in but I don't know about the Slayer. I hear that the Slayer electric conversions are pretty sweet to drive though.
Good luck.
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #10
Tech Elite

At our State race this year, there was a lot of chatter about a slayer/SC8 class. out of all the talk one person from another state came to race - and didt have a class to race it in. Despite how popular the Slash is- the nitro version is not going to catch on IMO - if you want to race - I would look at something you can pretty much race anywhere
Old 07-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Buy a buggy or truggy if you are gonna race. You can go just about anywhere and have a class of them. The slayer is just the opposite, buy one if you are gonna bash.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Default X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer43 View Post
Buy a buggy or truggy if you are gonna race. You can go just about anywhere and have a class of them. The slayer is just the opposite, buy one if you are gonna bash.
If it will be anything like the slash it would be great for bashing. Very durable.
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I almost bought a slayer also but then checked out the local track and no one had one. I was already racing 1/8 buggy so i got a truggy to race too. Like someone said there is always a class for those.
Madbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #14
Tech Addict

There is one person at our track that has one. Guess what ? He dont get to race. Instead he jumps on the track in between heats and gets in the way when the next heat of racers are trying to warm up. Buy a buggy or truggy and dont be that guy.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
While it is a REALLY cool truck in concept... you won't get to race it much. The problem is that it doesn't fit very well into any of the current classes for racing.

It isn't a buggy, and wouldn't be competitive if they let you run with the buggies.

It isn't a truggy, and wouldn't be competitive against the truggies.

It is CLOSEST to a Monster Truck or "Pro Mod Truck" (in fact, it is based on the REVO, which is "king of the hill" in that class...) but it is traction limited by the small tires.

On the other hand the other vehicles that LOOK the same aren't in the same class (Traxxas Slash, Associated SC10) and you'd have an unfair advantage there with all wheel drive, so they probably wouldn't let you run with them either.

By all means, if there is a local class that it fits into, go for it... but I'd hate to see you get one with the intent of racing and then find out you can't race it.
i completely understand what you are saying. but im in luck and there is a track around my house that has that class that races. and im not gonna just race it. i also want it to just have some fun in my backyard or where i take it. when i go camping and what not