R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Hex Driver?

I can seem to figure out who makes these hex drivers. I dont know much about them excecpt how they look.

The handles were either blue or black both metal but they were interchangeable. What was unique about them was that the actual shafts were quite longer than the traditional hex driver.

Anyone have any ideas.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Do you have a picture? You aren't giving us much to go on?
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Tech Master

Dig through the tools section at places like amain & carolinas & nitrohouse.Long bits should be what catches your eye cuz most every body makes the same length tool give or take a few mm. Long bits are nice for things like motor screws & header stays. Hudy made some that are long & they have a black-ish handle,never seen long blue ones though & dont know if long Hudys are still made.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default mip thorp

hey mip thorp best hexs out there. u buy them they last lifetime no break no wear out.
mixedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
Tech Master

Not interchangable,handles not blue or black & not long.Other than not what he is lookin for they are good & I have ones bought more than 10 yrs ago & still in good shape.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Dishsoap--I bet you are referring to the Totally Awesome Bullit R/C wrenches. I love these things. Been using them almost three years now. The hex tip is adjustable from 20mm-120mm. The hex bits can slide out the back of the handle to be used in a 1/4 quick change on a cordless electric drivers.

I'll take some pics when I wake up tomorrow afternoon. I don't get home till 7am central time.

When first introduced to the U.S. RC world they had metric and standard with blue anodized handles. A few months later they expanded to include hooks, pics, screwdrivers, and torx bits(I think) all made the same way. The bits could slide in and out of the handle from 20mm-120mm. When they introduced the newer tools they started adding black, red, grey anodizing. Also the plastic cap was colored to help differentiate which tool was which. The plastic cap pops on and off to let the bit come out the back if you need to use them in a cordless driver.

Bad news is no place seems to be importing these wrenches anymore. I believe they were manufactured in Taiwan and imported through JP Engines in Seattle and also RCnitronation dot com. If the tips broke they would replace them for free.

I hate to sound like a cheerleader but I can't ignore how great these wrenches are. They are more versatile than any other wrenches in the RC world. They were $45 USD for a set of four which was way too much in my opinion at the time. However after using them for so long now, on so many cars, and I wrench on my 8 or 9 cars "at least" an hour or two everyday. And I bet there's 2-3 days in a month I don't use these wrenches.

I wish I had bought a set of the metric ones before they quit being sold here.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce

Last edited by air8; 07-22-2009 at 11:49 PM.
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #7
Tech Champion

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2920

The link is for some Dynamite hex drivers that can be used in a cordless driver, and this set includes a universal handle like some other sets out there. However imagine each bit having it's own handle. The inside of the handle allows the bit to move back and forth inside the handle. the inside of the handle is also machined in the shape of a hex so the bits don't have to be setscrewed down like everyone else's tools.

It's hard to explain and I'll take pics of everything to hopefully explain better. Man I wish I could find these tools again. Or,IF ANY MANUFACTURERS ARE LISTENING(Dynamite, MIP, Hudy, Integy, Proline, Racers Edge), PLEASE, PLEASE create some tools as close as allowable to these.

Thanx
Chris

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Tech Master

I have those wrenches & love them.Metric is black handle,ball metric is silver handle,SAE is blue handle,screw drivers are red handle & I would have to dig up the ball SAE to see what color those are but rcnitro nation is gone & they were the importers. Somebody is still importing the bullit pipes but dont know who maybe find who & see if they will get the wrenches but if not ultimate hobbies had the same wrenches with a different name & colors last time I was there for about the same price.Bullit is longer shank than MIP but I dont know if they would fall into the LONG catagory.If anybody knows how to get them please post I need some of the adjusting tangs,mine are worn badly,tangs worn not tips.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Whoa! On Ultimate hobbies website I see a company called Align and there hex drivers look severely close to the Bullit RC wrenches. But the pictures don't enlarge big enough to see if the tips are held in by set screws or not. I just can't tell, dang it. I think I'll call Ultimate hobbies and talk this over. Oh please, oh please. LOL.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 07-23-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Align is a heli company... good tools also..

w w w.align.com.tw/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1034
JRTinphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Whoa! On Ultimate hobbies website I see a company called Align and there hex drivers look severely close to the Bullit RC wrenches. But the pictures don't enlarge big enough to see if the tips are held in by set screws or not. I just can't tell, dang it. I think I'll call Ultimate hobbies and talk this over. Oh please, oh please. LOL.
The align ones do have a set screw to hold in the tip.
pyromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Hex Driver?-bullit-rc-wrenches.jpg   Hex Driver?-bullit-rc-wrenches-2-.jpg   Hex Driver?-bullit-rc-wrenches-5-.jpg  

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 07-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
Tech Champion

And more
Attached Thumbnails
Hex Driver?-bullit-rc-wrenches-6-.jpg   Hex Driver?-bullit-rc-wrenches-8-.jpg   Hex Driver?-bullit-rc-wrenches-9-.jpg  

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 07-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Some pics
Man I want those. I guess I can't since they do not sell them anymore. Where can I get somethin g close to that. I have big hands so the Losi drivers aren't the best for me.

Also just like your skill driver I have the hitachi version and my bits that I use do not lock. They are always falling right out. Anyway to fix this. I go so pissed that just went and bought a smaller ryobi one that locks down the bit.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Well these Bullit hexes didn't come machined for the quick lock drivers. And they would fall right out like you said. So a little dremel work was in order and now they work like a charm.

I'm hoping one of the RC manufacturers will see these tools someday and design something as close as legally possible. LOL.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce