R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default RX Liporun times

Got a question for ya guys, Im currently running 1400mah nicklemetal batteries in our losi 2.0 buggy, servos are jr9100t's for steering and throttle, my run time are ok but id like to get a little more time. Does anyone know the run time of a rx lipo? Id like to run it unregulated if possible. Our radio is a spektrum dx3s also. what brand and mah our most of the people running?
Thanks for any info on this.

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I run a couple losi 2000mah lipos on regulators with same servos and go through 3-5 minute heats and 15+ minute main with practice+ a couple minutes here or there and get through the day easy and only lose .5 volts(if im lucky, normally less). good investment. more time to do other work and not charge batteries
Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
Got a question for ya guys, Im currently running 1400mah nicklemetal batteries in our losi 2.0 buggy, servos are jr9100t's for steering and throttle, my run time are ok but id like to get a little more time. Does anyone know the run time of a rx lipo? Id like to run it unregulated if possible. Our radio is a spektrum dx3s also. what brand and mah our most of the people running?
Thanks for any info on this.
I can give you this for a comparison even though it is a different example. I have a futaba 3pk and used to run 2400 nimh cells. The max voltage I ever saw was 11.4 after a charge and could get no more than 2 1/2 hours of run time. I now have a 3 cell lipo which has a 2200 mah capacity and it always peaks at over 12 volts and sustains it for quite a while. I also get 6- 6.5 hours of run time. Over double the runtime with a smaller capacity battery. That is one of the features of a lipo which converted me. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I have protek 2000mah lipo have ran practice 3x5min qf 30min main
only used 1/4 of the mah it is the only way to go like the post before
said on more charging batteries gives time to more important things
like setting on your butt for a moment
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8&stuff View Post
I run a couple losi 2000mah lipos on regulators with same servos and go through 3-5 minute heats and 15+ minute main with practice+ a couple minutes here or there and get through the day easy and only lose .5 volts(if im lucky, normally less). good investment. more time to do other work and not charge batteries

thats what i was hoping to hear..... are the regulators doing ok, i heard stories of them gettin to hott? I use lipos on every thing else i run except the rx batteries.....and im wanting to switch them to lipo soon....

Ken
Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Lipo receiver pack is probably the best upgrade I've made to date. Not only do they last way longer, you get consistent servo performance every lap.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
thats what i was hoping to hear..... are the regulators doing ok, i heard stories of them gettin to hott? I use lipos on every thing else i run except the rx batteries.....and im wanting to switch them to lipo soon....
foam padding everywhere all around battery&reciever box. i also recently removed all switches(buggy-trug). after i pulled the switches things seem a bit smoother. i have had radio issues but was never lipo probs. all were spektrum issues(and spektrum took care of fast and free). you will definately see a difference that you like. i would start using lipo w/out switch...easier to install and more smooth
Old 07-21-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I use a 2200mAh lipo + 2 erg-VB's (top-of-the line analog) + 5A switching UBEC.

1hr or runtime = 800mAh.

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:05 AM   #9
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

my dad runs lipo in his losi 8. he likes it, the only thing i dont like is the battery is just a tight fit. you have to push the lid down with force while putting the clips in. now that he went with a dx3r and the dsm2 receivers the receiver box isnt so crowded but it used to be. until i start running 30+ min mains im not going to worry about switching. my 1600 gets enough time.

as an example to the length of the lipo tho. he went a full race day, two 6 min qualifers, 10 min main and bumped to a, then a 15 min main. I forgot to switch his battery off and it was on ALL week long until friday(he raced the sat b4 that) and noticed it was on. he poped it on the charger expecting to be buying a new lipo. it was dead but just over 3v per cell. i was suprised

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:29 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I'm running protek 2000mah lipos with JR9100s servos, spek rx, and no regulators. I'm not saying you should do just that, but I've seen way too many problems from people using regulators to even try one in my set up. No problems at all so far.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSimmonds View Post
I'm running protek 2000mah lipos with JR9100s servos, spek rx, and no regulators. I'm not saying you should do just that, but I've seen way too many problems from people using regulators to even try one in my set up. No problems at all so far.
I run all losi,spek and JR products. I would strongly NOT recommend using JR servos with out a regulator. They are rated for 6v. When you burn them out JR/Horizon will not cover this under warranty. I have seen A LOT of JR servos, burnt up, because people are not using regulators and get all hurt when JR say no. Don’t take this the wrong KSimmonds, not pointing fingers.
Now if you want a bullet proof servo and have the money for them, then the New JR HV series – IS THE BEST SERVO ON THE MARKET –HANDS DOWN

Hitec HV servos looks promising, but the JR ones are almost unbreakable

Anyway – I run Losi 2000mah pack – JR servos, Spektrum radio and Losi HV 5A regulator – I have had no problem with power. And get are 1.5 hours of runtime
Old 07-21-2009, 05:53 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I'm not worried about any warranty's as these are well out of warranty anyway by a mile and have had no problems the whole time. I'm sure there are some out there that burn up with any brand since there are very few servos that are actually rated for anything over 6 volts. But I've seen huge problems with people running all different brands of regulators, I definitely won't go that route.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
I run all losi,spek and JR products. I would strongly NOT recommend using JR servos with out a regulator. They are rated for 6v. When you burn them out JR/Horizon will not cover this under warranty. I have seen A LOT of JR servos, burnt up, because people are not using regulators and get all hurt when JR say no. Don’t take this the wrong KSimmonds, not pointing fingers.
Now if you want a bullet proof servo and have the money for them, then the New JR HV series – IS THE BEST SERVO ON THE MARKET –HANDS DOWN

Hitec HV servos looks promising, but the JR ones are almost unbreakable

Anyway – I run Losi 2000mah pack – JR servos, Spektrum radio and Losi HV 5A regulator – I have had no problem with power. And get are 1.5 hours of runtime

thats what i was worried about token, using them without a regulator, The cars we run (3 of them) are for my 9 year old and me(dad) is his only sponcer...lol for now at least im working on some..... but I like the idea of lipos, i started running them when we ran rock crawlers and love the run time and power out put......im currently using a couple of 1400mah nimh for the rx that we switch out after every qual and practice, weve gottenlucky no to have an hour long main so far...but its lookin like its lipo time for the losi buggy.......

Ken
Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

a quick ? , are the regulators built into the battery or are they attached to the battery leads? And would it be a good idea to vent the top battery cover to let heat escape from the regulator or is this not needed at all. Thanks

Ken
Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)
Send a message via AIM to megasaxon Send a message via Yahoo to megasaxon

I have a home made 1800 mah lipo in my RC8T, i can get at least 2 full race days on it, but i charge it b4 everyday anyway, usually charge on friday, race all day saturday.