R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ive been using the Reedy 2100mah lipo to run my 2 Hitec 5955 servos in 1/8th buggy. I usually dont worry about charging it during a race day. After running 2 tanks practice (near 10 minutes each) 3 qualifiers and a 30 minute main it usually takes 600mah or so to recharge. I estimate being able to run 2 hours without charging safely but havent tried it yet because its better to be safe then sorry.

I was charging it recently when I saw smoke and the charger shut off. I am not sure what caused it but the positive wire was melted a little. I taped it up continued charging and was able to run 30 minutes on it without issue. I wanted to go back and put some heat shrink tubing on it but the wire was melted into the connector. In trying to get it out I ended up ripping the wire right off the pack. So Im sitting there 1am the night before racing and rip the damn wire off the pack because I forgot all about it till the night before this weeks race. I opened it up and it was kinda scary. There is a lot of different tapes used and the cells look like their connected to each other with some sort of foil. I gave up and used my back up NIMH pack for the race yesterday. I though the difference in voltage was going to make the servo action noticably slower (I run unregulated lipo) but it wasnt too noticable.

Today with a clear mind I got in there and soldered a new lead onto the pack and taped it back up with as much of the original stuff and some electrical tape and put it on the charger to balance charge. I noticed one of the cells voltage was about .3 volts lower than the other. It balanced out and charged up. I hope its OK but am not sure I can ever really trust it again.

I would like to get a smaller lipo receiver pack. Ive been looking at the Reedy 1600 since I know the balance connector would work since I already have one of their packs but I wouldnt mind getting a smaller lighter 1200 size pack. I figure 1200 ought to easily be able to handle even the longest hour long mains and probably enough juice for a full day club racing but I dont know where I can find a pack like that. There are so many odd size lipo packs. I need one that fits inside the battery box on the RC8B which is made the size of a hump pack with not much if any extra room.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #47
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP Racing View Post
Ive been using the Reedy 2100mah lipo to run my 2 Hitec 5955 servos in 1/8th buggy. I usually dont worry about charging it during a race day. After running 2 tanks practice (near 10 minutes each) 3 qualifiers and a 30 minute main it usually takes 600mah or so to recharge. I estimate being able to run 2 hours without charging safely but havent tried it yet because its better to be safe then sorry.

I was charging it recently when I saw smoke and the charger shut off. I am not sure what caused it but the positive wire was melted a little. I taped it up continued charging and was able to run 30 minutes on it without issue. I wanted to go back and put some heat shrink tubing on it but the wire was melted into the connector. In trying to get it out I ended up ripping the wire right off the pack. So Im sitting there 1am the night before racing and rip the damn wire off the pack because I forgot all about it till the night before this weeks race. I opened it up and it was kinda scary. There is a lot of different tapes used and the cells look like their connected to each other with some sort of foil. I gave up and used my back up NIMH pack for the race yesterday. I though the difference in voltage was going to make the servo action noticably slower (I run unregulated lipo) but it wasnt too noticable.

Today with a clear mind I got in there and soldered a new lead onto the pack and taped it back up with as much of the original stuff and some electrical tape and put it on the charger to balance charge. I noticed one of the cells voltage was about .3 volts lower than the other. It balanced out and charged up. I hope its OK but am not sure I can ever really trust it again.

I would like to get a smaller lipo receiver pack. Ive been looking at the Reedy 1600 since I know the balance connector would work since I already have one of their packs but I wouldnt mind getting a smaller lighter 1200 size pack. I figure 1200 ought to easily be able to handle even the longest hour long mains and probably enough juice for a full day club racing but I dont know where I can find a pack like that. There are so many odd size lipo packs. I need one that fits inside the battery box on the RC8B which is made the size of a hump pack with not much if any extra room.

ebay 900's would do the trick......a full hour might be a little much for them tho.....i know on my buggy with 9351 on throttle and 5955 on steering it took 650mah after a 45 min main with 7-10 min warm up......and at a little under 6$ a piece....can you really go wrong ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #48
Tech Elite

I do hour long mains somewhat regularly so it wouldnt really be worth it unless I can do them.

What kind of balance plug do the ebay lipos have on them?

For that matter what balance plug do the Reedy packs I am using have on them? All I know is they are the right ones for my charger and everything works without adapters.

I'll probably just get the 1600mah Reedy pack. I did notice one odd thing though. The 1600 pack costs more than the 2100 pack. Is it me or does that make no sense?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #49
Tech Lord

imo no sense at all.

go for the 1600's i would hate to steer you wrong with the 900's...but they are worth having on hand for quali's and shorter main's....at a little over 50g they are 1/2 the weight of a 2000.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 08-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #50
Tech Elite

I checked ebay and the only 900mah lipo pack I could find looked like it wouldnt fit.

I searched 1200 2 cell lipo and 1500 but neither had any matches.

Hopefully this pack I have will continue to work for me. Balancing ought to cure any issue it may have had....I hope
Old 08-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #51
Tech Elite

1000 mah should do it......but your running a RC8B right?
What are the battery box dimensions on that thing? Your running the front box right?

This might fit the front box:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Receiver_Pack_

This is what I'm running in my Xray 809 ( should be good for a 1hr main):
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9490

I forget the box dimensions for the RC8.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 08-16-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #52
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP Racing View Post
I checked ebay and the only 900mah lipo pack I could find looked like it wouldnt fit.

I searched 1200 2 cell lipo and 1500 but neither had any matches.

Hopefully this pack I have will continue to work for me. Balancing ought to cure any issue it may have had....I hope

the red or green 900's fit where hump packs do....so technically they should fit.....i know for a fact a buddy of mine is running them in his RC8....not sure of the bat config...but i know he's ran them in the past.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Ok, does anyone know what type of balance plug is on the losi 2000mah rx lipo? It's differsnt than the plugs on all my comon sence lipos? Can i get an adaptor for it to balance it?

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
Ok, does anyone know what type of balance plug is on the losi 2000mah rx lipo? It's differsnt than the plugs on all my comon sence lipos? Can i get an adaptor for it to balance it?
Its probally an Alighn type tap. Is it short or long? Jst-xh??

Short like the plug on this:
http://www.maxamps.com/HYP-MULTI-ALIGN.htm
Old 08-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic

heres the battery, the plug is about half the size of a comon sence 2 cell bal adaptor.

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mrbusta Send a message via Skype™ to mrbusta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
heres the battery, the plug is about half the size of a comon sence 2 cell bal adaptor.

i have that same battery and the jx one that is in the swallow eq charger does it fine the same connector that u use on a nosram 2 cell or lrp should do it for ya

RIP BUSTA BB ANGEL
mrbusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #57
Tech Elite

bah

Last edited by Zerodefect; 08-16-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I bought a couple of these batteries a few weeks ago. All working fantastic so far. I havent' got to run a long main yet though so I can't comment on how long they last. But in my Losi 2.0 I can completely surround them with foam for protection. The 1500mah and 2000mah batteries I had been using fit so tight that I couldn't use much foam and the batteries would only last 10-15 races, which is about half of my season. That sucked to spend $50 for a few months worth of racing. So I'll see how these do. I don't forsee any problems though being more protected than the larger ones.

These are 900mah, 7.4v, $7.50(usd), I'll measure the dimensions when I get home tonight. They fit great though with the non-hump lid.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/kahaoubrmo8.html

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #59
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
I bought a couple of these batteries a few weeks ago. All working fantastic so far. I havent' got to run a long main yet though so I can't comment on how long they last. But in my Losi 2.0 I can completely surround them with foam for protection. The 1500mah and 2000mah batteries I had been using fit so tight that I couldn't use much foam and the batteries would only last 10-15 races, which is about half of my season. That sucked to spend $50 for a few months worth of racing. So I'll see how these do. I don't forsee any problems though being more protected than the larger ones.

These are 900mah, 7.4v, $7.50(usd), I'll measure the dimensions when I get home tonight. They fit great though with the non-hump lid.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/kahaoubrmo8.html

you can get the 900's on ebay for 5.60$ a piece with free shipping....there should be an auction with 3 for 16.80$ i have 8 of these i have in circulation...they fit the losi box perfect with the flat lid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3x-7-4V-900mAh-L...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have still not purchased any of those. I think the time has come for me to push the big blue button. I'm running 5955 and 7955, so i'll give it a shot regulatorless.