R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default What do you guys think of this Werk's .21 Engine?

From amain?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to DiaRh34

for the price I'd get the reedy cause I've seen it run in person
DiaRh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaRh34 View Post
for the price I'd get the reedy cause I've seen it run in person
How about if you could get it for ~$180 shipped?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

pretty good i think
joe2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Im a huge werks fan as far as engine for the money goes. That b7 comes with a rear ceramic bearing. you just dont see that in that price rang. they are very reliable and seem to run even if your tune isnt perfect. the b7 has laser like mid to top end power.its very fast mid to top but its only decent off the bottom. most people recommend the 2013 pipe but Ive had good luck with the 2035 pipe. This engine is fast, I dont know why more people dont run it.
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

I ran one in late 07/early 08. I really liked it. Easy to tune and lots of power. Nice cooling head too, lightened, and it looks good in black. The engine is Sirio based, which IMO is a good thing.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I just bought this engine a couple of weeks ago from Amain and so far so good. It started right up with the stock settings and seems to run about 200. I think it has great low end with the 2013 pipe, definately more low end than my tuned GRP .21...IMO a good engine, and with a coupon code its around $230

Henchman racing
DX4R
steve307b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

I was running the Werks B7 with Ceramic rear bearing and think it is a great engine I only swapped to the Reedy because I could get a special 1 off of it.

I now have the Werks in my Rally Game and can't wait ti try it out.

Rolf

www.kellettshobbies.com
one5racing is there any other kind!
hassro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrat View Post
Im a huge werks fan as far as engine for the money goes. That b7 comes with a rear ceramic bearing. you just dont see that in that price rang. they are very reliable and seem to run even if your tune isnt perfect. the b7 has laser like mid to top end power.its very fast mid to top but its only decent off the bottom. most people recommend the 2013 pipe but Ive had good luck with the 2035 pipe. This engine is fast, I dont know why more people dont run it.
It's all about the pipe. I ran it with a JP-1 pipe (yeah, sounds wrong, but... it was what I had...) it was completely STUPID on the bottom, and didn't run out on top... I never, ever got pulled on the straight. When I say stupid, I mean so snappy it was virtually undriveable. It was a bit of a fuel hog with that pipe though.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
It's all about the pipe. I ran it with a JP-1 pipe (yeah, sounds wrong, but... it was what I had...) it was completely STUPID on the bottom, and didn't run out on top... I never, ever got pulled on the straight. When I say stupid, I mean so snappy it was virtually undriveable. It was a bit of a fuel hog with that pipe though.
What would be the best pipe to maximize fuel efficiency and control some of that power?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to R/C Lidz

What happened to Werks? Their webiste hasn't been updated since Christmas, thier motors are backordered everywhere, and the ones available are always pretty cheap. I was watching a B7 Pro on ebay (NIB) and it sold for under $100. I was floored!

A year ago everyone ran these, now nobody does. Are they just not the current flavor?

Any insight?
R/C Lidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C Lidz View Post
What happened to Werks? Their webiste hasn't been updated since Christmas, thier motors are backordered everywhere, and the ones available are always pretty cheap. I was watching a B7 Pro on ebay (NIB) and it sold for under $100. I was floored!

A year ago everyone ran these, now nobody does. Are they just not the current flavor?

Any insight?
Lol, you must have noticed the Christmas lights on the site The web site has been a sore subject with me for a while as I have not really been happy with the old one for quite a while. At the beginning of the year I made the decision to stop support of the old, clunky site and start work on a complete from the ground up, new version. We have been working on this for a couple of months now and it should be done shortly at which time we will bring the old one down and upload the new one, hope this clarifies the site issue lol!

Regarding the engines being on backorder I just took a look at the a-main site and you are correct they do look like they are now on back order. I think that this is a new situation though as early last week before I left to the nationals they had stock. I ran into Kendall while I was at the race so he probably will not process and order until he gets back in the office ( I would assume tomorrow). So they should have stock again in 4-5 days.

To address pricing, we obviously have no control over what people sell stuff on e-bay for but as far as shop prices I can say that I have taken steps to bring down the street pricing on our engines as much as possible. When you factor in the performance and features that you get with our B7 Pro-C engine I honestly think that at today's pricing levels it represents one of the biggest bangs for your buck as far as racing engines are concerned!

Moving forward we are continuing to develop our engine line and will soon be releasing a new B5 engine which in testing I'm extremely pleased to say Jeremy Kortz used to take 2nd at the RC Pro Series Australia race as well as qualify 5th overall in buggy and bring home a very respectable 7th place at last weekends 2009 ROAR Nationals which I just came back from running over half of the race with only 3 shocks! The B5 engine will be a new addition to our line and will fit in between our B3 Pro & B7 Pro engines. So in a nutshell its business as usual with right now, a lot of stuff just being worked on behind the scenes. Hope this helps clarify things!

Regards,

Ron Hopkins
Werks Racing
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Mr. werks, I have had a turbo head button ( for my b3) on back order at amain for the past 5 months and it has yet to come in. is this amain not ordering it or is there an issue with parts supply.
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werks View Post
Lol, you must have noticed the Christmas lights on the site The web site has been a sore subject with me for a while as I have not really been happy with the old one for quite a while. At the beginning of the year I made the decision to stop support of the old, clunky site and start work on a complete from the ground up, new version. We have been working on this for a couple of months now and it should be done shortly at which time we will bring the old one down and upload the new one, hope this clarifies the site issue lol!

Regarding the engines being on backorder I just took a look at the a-main site and you are correct they do look like they are now on back order. I think that this is a new situation though as early last week before I left to the nationals they had stock. I ran into Kendall while I was at the race so he probably will not process and order until he gets back in the office ( I would assume tomorrow). So they should have stock again in 4-5 days.

To address pricing, we obviously have no control over what people sell stuff on e-bay for but as far as shop prices I can say that I have taken steps to bring down the street pricing on our engines as much as possible. When you factor in the performance and features that you get with our B7 Pro-C engine I honestly think that at today's pricing levels it represents one of the biggest bangs for your buck as far as racing engines are concerned!

Moving forward we are continuing to develop our engine line and will soon be releasing a new B5 engine which in testing I'm extremely pleased to say Jeremy Kortz used to take 2nd at the RC Pro Series Australia race as well as qualify 5th overall in buggy and bring home a very respectable 7th place at last weekends 2009 ROAR Nationals which I just came back from running over half of the race with only 3 shocks! The B5 engine will be a new addition to our line and will fit in between our B3 Pro & B7 Pro engines. So in a nutshell its business as usual with right now, a lot of stuff just being worked on behind the scenes. Hope this helps clarify things!

Regards,

Ron Hopkins
Werks Racing
Wow directly from the horse's mouth.

Any idea what a good pipe to match with this best bang for a racer's buck engine to maximize fuel efficiency and help to cradle its massive power?

I know this is like asking Michael Jordan how to do a bounce pass, but given the same opportunity to ask him - I just might have.....

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrat View Post
Mr. werks, I have had a turbo head button ( for my b3) on back order at amain for the past 5 months and it has yet to come in. is this amain not ordering it or is there an issue with parts supply.
dandrat, we have never released a turbo head button for the B3. We did have one listed on our original price list which they probably entered into their system. I'll be talking to them this week and will ask them to correct the error on the site. On a side note the reason that we made this decision was after testing we found that the performance benefit for the B3 type engines for it's target market did not justify the additional expense of the turbo plug versus the minimal performance benefit that it provided. In a nutshell with that engine you will not see enough of a performance gain to justify almost paying twice as much for the plugs.
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote