R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default JVD or Ascendancy Racing clutch system???

I am just curious if anyone is running this clutch system that can compare it to the Losi clutch system.

I have been looking to pick one of these clutches up for my SH buggy but I just want to know how it wears in comparison to the losi four shoe system.

From everything I have read one of the pluses to this system is the ability to use a standard clutch bell vs the losi's enlongated clutch bell.

Again any and all information you may be able to give is greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pics of the systems in question.

Ascendancy Racing

JVD
NeoNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

I run this system on my Mugen MBX-6 and Hobao Hyper St and love it. Since the introduction a couple of months ago in the Netherlands almost 50% of the drivers in the dutch buggy and truggy cup switched to the JVD clutch with great result.

The clutch is very easy to assemble and changing the springs and clutch shoes is done within a few minutes. The wear on the clutch shoes is very minimal, after 2 gallons I the wear on mine is almost nothing.

I can't give you any information about running standard clutch bells on your Losi. But you can contact the manufacturer of the clutch through his website or mail. Jan uses a Losi 2.0 buggy en truggy so he should be able to answer all your questions.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNot View Post
I am just curious if anyone is running this clutch system that can compare it to the Losi clutch system.

I have been looking to pick one of these clutches up for my SH buggy but I just want to know how it wears in comparison to the losi four shoe system.

From everything I have read one of the pluses to this system is the ability to use a standard clutch bell vs the losi's enlongated clutch bell.

Again any and all information you may be able to give is greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pics of the systems in question.

Ascendancy Racing

JVD
This is an awsome clutch. I have over two gallons on mine and love it as the wear is very minimal. My advice is if you are in Europe go to JVD in the US go Ascendancy.

See you at the track.
janderson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Thanks for the input guys.
I am not sure which one I will get just yet but the JVD is a few bucks cheaper and it seems to be the original while the Ascendancy appears to be a knocks off, unless they are importing the JVD under a different name for the states!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been Eyeballin the Ascendancy set up for a while... Hmmm. please let me know how they work..
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Tech Master

The guy posted in another thread that it is the same part just imported into america.I would think where you live would have the shipping cost be the factor.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
Tech Master

Guys Europe is well known for the high quality of it RC Products and it production standards. Ascendancy's goal is to import the best from Europe so the the US market is able to get the products at a good price and not pay the import tax and high shipping. The Ascendancy is not a knockoff. It is the JVD clutch just with diffrent color and name. Made in the same factory by the same person.

See you at the track.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast11970 View Post
I have been Eyeballin the Ascendancy set up for a while... Hmmm. please let me know how they work..
Will do man.
This is the only thing I am not feeling on the Z-Car right now. I love how my losi had a much snappier take off and I have not had that in any vehicle since switching from the four shoe losi system to a traditional three shoe system.

When I saw the JVD's it was almost a god send but I wasnt able to locate them state side until recently.

I hope to have one in my Z within in the next couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderson78 View Post
Guys Europe is well known for the high quality of it RC Products and it production standards. Ascendancy's goal is to import the best from Europe so the the US market is able to get the products at a good price and not pay the import tax and high shipping. The Ascendancy is not a knockoff. It is the JVD clutch just with diffrent color and name. Made in the same factory by the same person.
Good information to know. Its a little hard using babelfish to translate truggy.nl and get the just of whats going on there From the way it read it seemed like the state side version was a knock off of the JVD system.

On a side note,
Do you know if these clutches will work with the Racers Edge vented clutch bells?
I can measure them if need but but I thought it might save me a little wrench time if you happend to know.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:18 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Will do man.
This is the only thing I am not feeling on the Z-Car right now. I love how my losi had a much snappier take off and I have not had that in any vehicle since switching from the four shoe losi system to a traditional three shoe system.

When I saw the JVD's it was almost a god send but I wasnt able to locate them state side until recently.

I hope to have one in my Z within in the next couple of weeks.

Good information to know. Its a little hard using babelfish to translate truggy.nl and get the just of whats going on there From the way it read it seemed like the state side version was a knock off of the JVD system.

On a side note,
Do you know if these clutches will work with the Racers Edge vented clutch bells?
I can measure them if need but but I thought it might save me a little wrench time if you happend to know.
Should have no problems with the Racers Edge. I think they are the same size as most stock clutch bells.

Also look on the last Page of Truggy.nl and you will see where JVD Says to all those people not to worry they are not a Knock off.

See you at the track.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:37 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Default from austria to jason

hello jason!

your clutch is just the best R/C product on the market !
yeah thats all i wanna say !

we googled you and found you here!
we`re friedi and babsi from austria !
friedi_aut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedi_aut View Post
hello jason!

we googled you and found you here!
we`re friedi and babsi from austria !
Friedi,

I am glad you guys like them. Everyone that has used them loves them!!!!!!

I sent you a PM

See you at the track.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedi_aut View Post
hello jason!
Jan van Dijk's clutch is really good, he tested it for almost a year. It does fit all engine's and car combo's. I use it in the Kyosho ST-RR truggy, normally I have to change shoes after one raceweekend, now I'm still on my first set of shoes after three races with the JVD clutch.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderson78 View Post
Should have no problems with the Racers Edge. I think they are the same size as most stock clutch bells.

Also look on the last Page of Truggy.nl and you will see where JVD Says to all those people not to worry they are not a Knock off.
Thanks for the info on the clutch bell.
As far as readuing Truggy.nl, I quite after about the third page of the thread reguarding the JVD clutch system. The translation was at best broken english. I would have probably been better off learning the original language the posts were made in than trying to read the translation babelfish provided me with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Jan van Dijk's clutch is really good, he tested it for almost a year. It does fit all engine's and car combo's. I use it in the Kyosho ST-RR truggy, normally I have to change shoes after one raceweekend, now I'm still on my first set of shoes after three races with the JVD clutch.
That is awesome to hear!!!
This is one of my biggest concerns with the four shoe system. I loved the pep the Losi system gave my X1 CRT but I hated having to replace the shoes as often as I did!!!

Anyone know if they are going to release a composite shoe for this system??? A lot of the tracks in my area are very loomy and even in the groove I would consider the traction average at best! A composite and aluminum mixture is great for my area!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the clutch bell.
As far as readuing Truggy.nl, I quite after about the third page of the thread reguarding the JVD clutch system. The translation was at best broken english. I would have probably been better off learning the original language the posts were made in than trying to read the translation babelfish provided me with

That is awesome to hear!!!
This is one of my biggest concerns with the four shoe system. I loved the pep the Losi system gave my X1 CRT but I hated having to replace the shoes as often as I did!!!

Anyone know if they are going to release a composite shoe for this system??? A lot of the tracks in my area are very loomy and even in the groove I would consider the traction average at best! A composite and aluminum mixture is great for my area!
Yes they are being worked on. No set time frame but composite is next. But for the conditions you discribe you could just go with two 1.0 and two .90 springs. This will make the clutch engage sooner and it will not hit as hard giving you more traction and less wheel spin.

See you at the track.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:31 AM   #15
Tech Master

Guys, just wanted to let everyone know these clutches are now available at stormerhobbies.com

See you at the track.