Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Looking for advice

I am new to the world of nitro rc and was wondering if there were any brands or models or combinations of the two that I should avoid. I currently have an old 1/8 GS Storm buggy that I am constantly working on because it is old and it had been somewhat neglected, I am enjoying the learning experience as to how these rigs are put together and work. I have been looking at some of the trucks and truggies and I am liking what I am seeing but I am uncertain as to whether or not they are worth the money that some of them want. I don't have alot of money and want to get a monster truck or truggy. Are the less expensive brands like Redcat Racing, Himoto, CEN, and the other ebay favorites worth buying or should I save my money and wait until I have enough to get a Savage, HPI, Losi, Associated, or Traxxas. Is Traxxas a good brand? My main link to and person responsible for introducing me to these wonderful machines says that Traxxas is junk. I like the looks of the Savage and MGT8 and models but they are pretty spendy.

So please give me some input as to the quality as durability of the brands that you all have used and help a newb out.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Uhgg
I am new to the world of nitro rc and was wondering if there were any brands or models or combinations of the two that I should avoid. I currently have an old 1/8 GS Storm buggy that I am constantly working on because it is old and it had been somewhat neglected, I am enjoying the learning experience as to how these rigs are put together and work. I have been looking at some of the trucks and truggies and I am liking what I am seeing but I am uncertain as to whether or not they are worth the money that some of them want. I don't have alot of money and want to get a monster truck or truggy. Are the less expensive brands like Redcat Racing, Himoto, CEN, and the other ebay favorites worth buying or should I save my money and wait until I have enough to get a Savage, HPI, Losi, Associated, or Traxxas. Is Traxxas a good brand? My main link to and person responsible for introducing me to these wonderful machines says that Traxxas is junk. I like the looks of the Savage and MGT8 and models but they are pretty spendy.

So please give me some input as to the quality as durability of the brands that you all have used and help a newb out.
If your looking for a beginner truck, Traxxas is the way to go. Parts are cheap and great customer service. They deal with 1/10th scale and 1/16th scale trucks. The MGT 8 in my opinion is not worth the money and the savage are good trucks for jumping and are a pain in the BUTT to work on.
Cen from what ive heard are not to great and stay away from anything integy

Tyler
Old 07-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

in my opinion i would stay away from red cat , himoto and traxxas. I know a lot of people like traxxas and i agree the cust. service is great but unless u want to work on it more than you drive it i would stay away. I would go with a cen, HB d8t, or a thunder tiger if your looking on the cheaper side
Old 07-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

I would go for the 8ight T 2.0......

Yes in heinsight, its nearly $1000 But... you get everything u need to race. You get a good Spektrum radio (DX3S) A starter box, reciever packs, a powerful engine, all you need is some fuel, and off you go...

If you feel that this is still outta ur leauge, i would recommend a TTR EB4 S3. These buggies are great value and are a competetive starting car
Old 07-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have a buggy and really haven't got to run it much, something is always breaking on it, pull start, roto-start conversion not working right, one way bearing, and glow plug died and no spare and shops closed. I am planning on running the hell out of it now that I have almost everything fixed and ready to go to see if I like that style of rig or not. I bought a used 3pk and was wondering if anyone knew of a good site where I can buy just kits that aren't rtr with the radios so I can possibly save a few bucks that way and get a little more tricked out ride. I am also thinking about truggies, what are some of the good low end truggies that don't break all the time?

Thanks, Uhgg
Old 07-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Uhgg
I have a buggy and really haven't got to run it much, something is always breaking on it, pull start, roto-start conversion not working right, one way bearing, and glow plug died and no spare and shops closed. I am planning on running the hell out of it now that I have almost everything fixed and ready to go to see if I like that style of rig or not. I bought a used 3pk and was wondering if anyone knew of a good site where I can buy just kits that aren't rtr with the radios so I can possibly save a few bucks that way and get a little more tricked out ride. I am also thinking about truggies, what are some of the good low end truggies that don't break all the time?

Thanks, Uhgg
Depends on your price range....

If you wanna spend around $550 on a truggy kit, get the Associated RC8T, or i also think that the MBX6T may be around that price range.....

If you wanna spend a lower amount, there is the thunder tiger truggy (St-1) or even the Hyper ST Pro, they are also a very good truggy
Old 07-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ofna makes good low cost kits, thats what i would recommend to the cash strapped.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am also new to the off road nitro rc world. I recently purcahsed a fully assembled kit from ebay. I purcahsed this for $240 australian plus shipping.
The buggy is very well put together in my opinion and the opinion of my local hobby shop, they have the same model on shelf and sell it for $900 retail!

It has a .21 3.5cc SH motor that is running very nicley but I am still in the break in stage.

The kit is brand knew and came from a hobby shop in Queensland.

If you are trying to save money this might be a good avenue, just remember to pay via pay pal for security (they chase up money if there are any problems) and check the sellers history.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sperera
I am also new to the off road nitro rc world. I recently purcahsed a fully assembled kit from ebay. I purcahsed this for $240 australian plus shipping.
The buggy is very well put together in my opinion and the opinion of my local hobby shop, they have the same model on shelf and sell it for $900 retail!

It has a .21 3.5cc SH motor that is running very nicley but I am still in the break in stage.

The kit is brand knew and came from a hobby shop in Queensland.

If you are trying to save money this might be a good avenue, just remember to pay via pay pal for security (they chase up money if there are any problems) and check the sellers history.

Hope this helps.
what exactly did you recommend to this dude
Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dandrat
what exactly did you recommend to this dude
I was recomending that ebay may be a cheap alternative, outlined in the fourth paragraph of my post.

Just something he may want to keep in mind if the funds are tight.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You want a very inexpensive truggy thats bulletproof? Go with a kyosho St-r. You can get these rollers used for around 125-175 anywhere. Built to last and also very competitive if you choose to race down the road! You wont regret it. Reason there so inexpensive now is because kyosho has released their st-rr. st-r is still very high quality!