R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpz_67 View Post
Very interesting guys. From my personal experiences I get lower temps and of course more power with a higher nitro content, therefore I could lean the mixture more. I tried some 20% on my motor just so I would know and all that happened was a slight loss in power and the temps went up. That is the only reason I am not so sure on the situation. Maybe I should have removed a shim or ran a different plug?
Temps will go up a bit because less fuel is going through the engine. Don't worry about it unless it goes WAY up. Tune for performance, not by temp.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Temps will go up a bit because less fuel is going through the engine. Don't worry about it unless it goes WAY up. Tune for performance, not by temp.
Numbers dont bother me. My friends use my exergen more than me.
I tune by smoke,sound and reading plugs. I just dont see where the increase in mileage comes from. Thanks to all who answered my questions though. I will let this one rest.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Sometimes the reduction of bottom end torque means you end up pulling the trigger harder and any mileage gains you might have noticed are out the window
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I really don't know about that much nitro. I personally run 20% and have no need for any more.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #20
Tech Master

I used to run 20% & sometimes go back to it.Only place I can tell a difference is coming out of corners it hits a little softer & actually makes me faster.I have been told I was wrong by a couple people & right by a couple but my experience at least with the brand I use is the oil content is the same & 20% has more methanol(alchohol)that cools the eng & 30% has more boom juice to make more power(heat).Thats the way it works in my mind & at my fingers.I'm not one of those that leans to get a claimed 14 min run but with 20% I do lean to keep my temps in the range that makes power the way I like & its usually 1/3 to 1/2 a turn on top & a little less on bottom.Could be how you normally tune to begin with has an affect in what you get when you switch.

I'm not sure that with as over powered as most engs are these days that 45% would do anything but make it more difficult to drive.I see an unreal amount of wheel spin at almost every track I go to from all but the top racers & even from more than a couple of them.When I get good enough to manage the throttle as I would like then maybe I would look into 45% but really with as long as I've been racing & the level I have plataued at I dont see that happening,ever.Why not just put in a .28?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The way I see it, you can sacrifice power for fuel economy, etc. So if you use 45% nitro, you would counteract by getting a very small carb restrictor. ANd for all the bottom end, you can get carbon shoes/soft springs so your clutch lasts longer. RB doesn't make crap, that is a fact.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote