Wiki Posts
Search

Is Nitro power dying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by spawn_x
Screw Nitro.

in the past 10 (or 20?) years the design has not changed, they are pickier and more sensitive now than ever, as unreliable as ever, and the power is put to shame with today's brushless.

make nitro catch up with the times already

(I have three nitros, so don't flame me!)
Anyone can stick a battery in say I'm fast. But if you can't put it to the ground where it counts who cares.

Beside with nitro there are less rules less hassle compared to electric
Old 07-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
If there were 4 electrics in the heat and all 4 konked-out, then it's more than just a setup issue; I would be more inclined to believe that argument if at least one car would have made it through without problems.
It is definitely a setup issue. I race electric almost exclusively with nitros and have been for the past two years. I have taken a few wins against decent nitro drivers. Driving is driving and fast guys will be fast regardless of what they are driving.

I would say 80% of the electric cars right now are way overpowered and not efficient for runtime because that is what the manufacturers are pushing with plug and play conversions. I regularly run 15 and 20 minute mains without a battery swap.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
Working in a hobby shop - I have to disagree, if anything the economy is helping the hobby.
I have to agree. Economy turned to crap, I had to cut down from my more expensive hobbies (guns, trucks, etc.) but still wanted something fun to do so I took up R/Cs again.

Now if I need a part, its 10-20 dollars vs. 400-500

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
Anyone can stick a battery in say I'm fast. But if you can't put it to the ground where it counts who cares.
Anyone can stick a fancy expensive big block and be fast too so its a moot point, driver skill matters of course. I do believe though this conversation is strictly about the vehicles - in which case, yes, electrics ARE more evolved....

Why do nitro motors have to be so sensitive?????????
Old 07-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Go STEELERS!!!

Originally Posted by spawn_x
Screw Nitro.

in the past 10 (or 20?) years the design has not changed, they are pickier and more sensitive now than ever, as unreliable as ever, and the power is put to shame with today's brushless.

make nitro catch up with the times already

(I have three nitros, so don't flame me!)

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
And 5 seconds to fill back up and get another 10-15

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I enjoy the whole race day scene..Spending the day hanging with 50 good friends, always someone needs help advice, parts, etc. always someone to give me help, advice, parts, etc. Bullshitting about tires, engines, pipes, plugs, fuel women.Cooler full of food and drinks (sometimes beer) wrenching on my stuff, cleaning, charging batteries, organizing my tool boxes..I love everything about it!!! Races and podiums are all bonuses to an already great day at a track with my buds! I dont even care if its Nitro or electric, I love the competition, and the camaraderie.
Same here!

some guys are really enjoying the electic eiffff scale- me personally I like the rev of the engine - the smoke, pit stops are key, adds a whole dimension to the feel of the race. Hearing them going around the track, the oil, grease, and grim. I think that if there was a electric only day, here next to the mall, no one would stop and check it out. But the OLD SCHOOL NITRO - draws in 50 to 100 spectators, from the mall that watched the buggy and truggy AMAIN...........
At my local hobby shop the nitros draw more spectators due to the sound and the reving of the engine than an zzzzziiiiiiipppp noise. It reminds me of the new VW commercial where the vw bug is asking how does the guys new hybrid sound.

Working in a hobby shop - I have to disagree, if anything the economy is helping the hobby. I have more father/son combos coing in buying two of everything, because its cheaper than, alot of other family stuff. Its awsome seeing a whole family at the track all day. tots playing with 1/36 scales or rustlers, moms in there group and buying food and beer (shhhhhhhhhhhhh) - its hugh here, more and more guys are getting in to the hobby simply buyin the 8 and 8t 2.0 RTRs coming out getting in the way - hahahahaha - but I have to say the economy is not killing it
then with Live RC doing its thing right now - I bet in the next few years - worlds and nats will be showed on ESPN2.
In my area rc has exploded!

Originally Posted by Jaz240
The people getting in your way today, are the same people who will be kicking your butt tomorrow
Old 07-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

People in my area last year kept saying that brushless 1/8th scale would take over, but it hasn't. And truthfully it never will. Nitro isn't just about shear speed all the time, there is a finess and love for the wrenching that will always keep nitro alive
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

^^+1

Electric power is superior to Nitro for RC in just about every way, yet people stay with Nitro and convert from 1/10 electric to 1/8th nitro all the time. For all of Nitro's shortcomings it continues to grow. People must just love the noise.

I've always compared it to golf, when you get that engine tune just right it's like hitting that perfect golf shot, it erases any number of frustrating hours with a satisfying smile.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dhc8guru
I was just wondering if Nitro is dying off in anyones elses area. Here in the DFW area, nitro tracks are closing. My two LHS say that two months ago, Nitro car sales and anything related took a nose dive. But claim electric has been staying steady. I bailed out of nitro buggies some months back because I got tired of the repair bills and the cost of nitro.

Starting to feel like the grim reaper is swinging the axe on Nitro offroad.
this might get me in alot of hot water, but i feel that the attitude of the racers here in Dallas are why it's declining. comming from colorado, i was shunned when i first got here. i've sence made good friends with several people, but over all, it's not as "friendly" around the tracks.

some of the racers here will tell me to f-off for saying this, but then they just made my point.

also, under an ounce of weed in denver is leagle, so that might have alot to do with it.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
this might get me in alot of hot water, but i feel that the attitude of the racers here in Dallas are why it's declining. comming from colorado, i was shunned when i first got here. i've sence made good friends with several people, but over all, it's not as "friendly" around the tracks.

some of the racers here will tell me to f-off for saying this, but then they just made my point.

also, under an ounce of weed in denver is leagle, so that might have alot to do with it.
I agree with you 100% jrwoodchuck!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpz_67
I agree with you 100% jrwoodchuck!
+1
Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

There are several good tracks here in the 5 state triangle. Bulletown, Boneyard, Reo, Redline, Delta, Bobarts, Whitehouse and Squeakys. 1/8 scale electric and nitro seem to be growing along with the Slash class, it brings alot of noobs to the track and it is alot of fun. I just wish I didn't have so much going on to where I could race more. I am in it for fun and the comradery, too many other important stuff going on to worry being the fastest. I have both electic and nitro and when the days come that I don't enjoy tinkering with it then somebody will get a heck of a deal on it all
Old 07-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Davidka
^^+1

Electric power is superior to Nitro for RC in just about every way, yet people stay with Nitro and convert from 1/10 electric to 1/8th nitro all the time. For all of Nitro's shortcomings it continues to grow. People must just love the noise.

I've always compared it to golf, when you get that engine tune just right it's like hitting that perfect golf shot, it erases any number of frustrating hours with a satisfying smile.
Theres the attitude that brings out the nitro vs electric it's un called for. Either one is superior it's just in your head

Last edited by pdmustgt; 07-18-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Tech Rookie

I dont know what to get next year for the race season Losi 8ight 2.0 buggy Race Roller (nitro)
or Losi 8ight 2.0 buggy Race Roller (electric)

I own the ultra lx one ofna buggy right now i just wanna upgrade i just dont know what which one brushless or nitro :S
Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I like electric and nitro equally. If I feel smooth and calm I will race my electric 10th truck. If I feel aggressive and in the nitro mood I will run my 8th buggy. For the past 8 months I have been racing nitro buggy thinking 10th electric truck is boring and breaks easily, and although it isnt as durable as my buggy, it is a lot funner that I ever imagined! Now I am putting my nitro on the side for a while.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

10-15 min on a tank of nitro is too short? one can always put in a bigger tank for longer run time if it is not in a race...

i am waiting to see someone mounting a one gallon fuel tank on their buggy or truggy!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

wouldn't fuel injection increase the performance of nitro? I mean they use it in airplane engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.